Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:13 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,534,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I am an agnostic; meaning I have a lot of doubt about the existence of a "god", "supreme being", "cosmic intelligence" or what have you. I am however open to the idea. But let me ask you something. What if that supreme intelligence isn't what you think it is? What if at the end of your spiritual search, you don't find bliss, but rather horror? Do you allow for that possibility?
Sadly, I believe that many will find this to be the case.

John 3:36 says; Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them

John 14:6 Jesus is quoted as saying: I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 10:23 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,072 times
I think this is what faith is about: The assured expectation of that which is to become. I do not allow nor entertain that if when it all comes to end, that there might be some horrendous deception perpetrated by a God that I fully believe is incapable of such. By the fact that he is Almighty And Omniscient? No but by evidence of his love for us through his creation. If I felt any different, there would be no logical reason for religion nor spirituality. But also, one who sincerely believes that God's word is the Bible needs to identify issues that cause doubt. For instance, the disciple Thomas doubted that Jesus was resurrected, even though other disciples said that they had seen him. Thomas wanted proof. The result? Jesus provided him with the evidence he needed to have strong faith.— John 20:24-29.

Many lose faith in God because they expect him to serve them instead of vice-versa. Or, they either directly or indirectly blame him for the wars, violence, and misery that afflict mankind. So basically if God isnt heeding their every self centered wish and whim like a genie, they turn against him and bash the idea of faith in him. But he remains constant in integrity as the expression at Hebrews 11:11, translated “evident demonstration,” carries the idea of producing evidence that contradicts that which only appears to be factual. For instance, the sun appears to revolve around the earth— rising in the east, moving through the sky, and setting in the west. However, evidence from astronomy and mathematics reveals that the earth is not the center of the solar system. Once you become familiar with that evidence and accept it as true, you have faith that the earth revolves around the sun— despite what your eyes tell you. Your faith is not blind. On the contrary, it gives you the ability to see things as they really are, not merely as they seem to be.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:05 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,481,555 times
Quote:
I think this is what faith is about: The assured expectation of that which is to become. I do not allow nor entertain that if when it all comes to end, that there might be some horrendous deception perpetrated by a God that I fully believe is incapable of such. By the fact that he is Almighty And Omniscient? No but by evidence of his love for us through his creation.
Creation is filled with horrors.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Sadly, I believe that many will find this to be the case.

John 3:36 says; Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them

John 14:6 Jesus is quoted as saying: I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Yes, even as a child I was horrified by the "Good News" of Christianity.

But in my OP I was speaking of a more general sense of spirituality, for those who do embrace "something more" to our existence than say, materialism.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,534,206 times
Quote:
Yes, even as a child I was horrified by the "Good News" of Christianity.

But in my OP I was speaking of a more general sense of spirituality, for those who do embrace "something more" to our existence than say, materialism.
My post was aimed at those who rest in some form of spirituality. Believing in God, is a first step, but Jesus indicates that one needs to take the next step. How to be right with God.

James, the half brother of Jesus wrote: You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. (James 2:19)

Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
My post was aimed at those who rest in some form of spirituality. Believing in God, is a first step, but Jesus indicates that one needs to take the next step. How to be right with God.

James, the half brother of Jesus wrote: You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. (James 2:19)
Then your post is out of place on this thread. It was not meant as a debate on the validity of fundamentalist Christianity, nor was it meant as an invitation to "evangelism".

We've heard it all before.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:57 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,059,759 times
Quote:
I am an agnostic; meaning I have a lot of doubt about the existence of a "god", "supreme being", "cosmic intelligence" or what have you. I am however open to the idea. But let me ask you something. What if that supreme intelligence isn't what you think it is? What if at the end of your spiritual search, you don't find bliss, but rather horror? Do you allow for that possibility?
Are any of them really grasping your idea? I feel like they are not...
As an Agnostic I know with 100% percent surity that Agnosticismnis true, despite all the personal experiences the ancient pagans used to have.

eternal horror for those who gain immortality by selling their soul to the demiurge? isnt that what you are speaking of?

what do you get by selling your soul to a failure of a person like Jesus? who is going to be happy with a punishment like being forced to walk gold roads and being forced to be in church for eternity? lol

Old 01-20-2012, 06:27 PM

70 posts, read 150,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No I do not allow for that possibility because my belief found me and it was unmistakably loving and accepting having nothing but joy in it. As an atheist I had expectations of nothingness. My experience in deep meditation changed all that permanently. Whatever awaits . . . it is not horrible.
MysticPhD: Would you care to share how long it took for the meditation practice sessions to reach the "deep" level? And do you concentrate on a religious-word or some neutral-word? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality