Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:20 PM

33,514 posts, read 37,064,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
We are all liars in some shape or form. Whether it be in our past or in the present. Christ is the only one that can overcome sin. In the case of others believing in false gods, I believe they are just that, false. They are accepting a lie.
Why are you are willing to gamble that you have chosen the correct god out of the hundreds? What if you are wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,594,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why are you are willing to gamble that you have chosen the correct god out of the hundreds? What if you are wrong?
Christ came in the flesh and said He is the way and the truth. His Word and promise resulting in my conversion is sufficient. If God wanted the untainted truth to be known to all, I think that would be an easy task for the Alpha and Omega. I honestly don't see it as a gamble. He made the choice obvious.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 PM

33,514 posts, read 37,064,767 times
Quote:
Christ came in the flesh and said He is the way and the truth. His Word and promise resulting in my conversion is sufficient. If God wanted the untainted truth to be known to all, I think that would be an easy task for the Alpha and Omega. I honestly don't see it as a gamble. He made the choice obvious.
Well, not if you are a Hindu, a Muslim, a Jew or any number of other religions...If you lived in India you would probably be Hindu, in Saudi Arabia a Muslim, in Israel a Jew, or in Japan Shinto....99% of what religion you subscribe to depends on where in the world you live....That pretty much says to me that ALL religions are fiction and invented by men.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,842,172 times
Quote:
Did Jesus exist?

Quote:
ALL CLAIMS OF JESUS DERIVE FROM HEARSAY ACCOUNTS

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. There occurs no contemporary Roman record that shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus. Devastating to historians, there occurs not a single contemporary writing that mentions Jesus. All documents about Jesus came well after the life of the alleged Jesus from either: unknown authors, people who had never met an earthly Jesus, or from fraudulent, mythical or allegorical writings.
Seriously, there is no real evidence that your Christ existed. It may be that there was some preacher who lived, but we have no record of his life from his own time (the gospels were written well after his supposed death).

Old 01-27-2012, 12:25 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,823,983 times
Quote:
Some people read verses such as this and claim that it means God creates sin. But their problem is in their knowledge and understanding of the word evil. They erroneously surmise that evil always means sin, but that is not the case.

The word translated evil in scripture does not "necessarily" mean evil in the same sense that we understand evil in our day. We use the word evil today as a synonym for sin or wickedness, but that is not the case in scripture. The word translated evil is the Hebrew word [ra'], meaning something that is "not good."

It is from a root word meaning to be spoiled, and by implication something that is not good. i.e., bad. It does not mean evil in the sense that we might think of the word today, but more correctly understood as bad or anything that is "not good" to us. For example, if a child receives a spanking, or we go through some adversity or anything which we deem not good for us, it is [ra'] or evil.
Quote:
The word translated evil in scripture does not "necessarily" mean evil in the same sense that we understand evil in our day. We use the word evil today as a synonym for sin or wickedness, but that is not the case in scripture.
Ah yes!! When your back is against the wall pull out the 'mistranslation' card and claim that the word doesn't actually mean what it says. You can twist and squirm and scream 'NO! NO! ....the word doesn't really mean what it says'..... but at the end of the day you are left with the following embarrassment......

"For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him."
Colossians 1:16

Clearly, according to the 'infallible' word of your god, ALL things were created by him and it doesn't matter whether you call something evil, bad, calamity, disaster, unfortunate, not good, or 'a bit of a bummer'....it was still created by your god. Therefore, we are left with no other conclusion that your god DID create 'evil', 'sin', 'wickedness' or whatever else you want to call it.

Perhaps the Bible authors forgot to put 'except evil and anything bad' at the end of the Colossians 1:16 huh??

Last edited by Rafius; 01-27-2012 at 01:04 AM..

Old 01-27-2012, 04:19 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,487,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ah yes!! When your back is against the wall pull out the 'mistranslation' card and claim that the word doesn't actually mean what it says. You can twist and squirm and scream 'NO! NO! ....the word doesn't really mean what it says'..... but at the end of the day you are left with the following embarrassment......

"For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him."
Colossians 1:16

Clearly, according to the 'infallible' word of your god, ALL things were created by him and it doesn't matter whether you call something evil, bad, calamity, disaster, unfortunate, not good, or 'a bit of a bummer'....it was still created by your god. Therefore, we are left with no other conclusion that your god DID create 'evil', 'sin', 'wickedness' or whatever else you want to call it.

Perhaps the Bible authors forgot to put 'except evil and anything bad' at the end of the Colossians 1:16 huh??

I like how they claim that THIER translation is right when it suits them but when we give them said scripture we're wrong.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Did Jesus exist?

Seriously, there is no real evidence that your Christ existed. It may be that there was some preacher who lived, but we have no record of his life from his own time (the gospels were written well after his supposed death).

From a Pagan POV I believe that it's very possible that Jesus was real. However I believe he was more akin to Buddha he tried to get people to live in peace and love. Someone got a wild hair and ran with it.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:12 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,823,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I like how they claim that THIER translation is right when it suits them but when we give them said scripture we're wrong.
"My words mean exactly what I want them to mean. Nothing more, nothing less."
Queen of Hearts (Alice in Wonderland)...

The Queen of Hearts would have made a first-rate Bible apologist.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:20 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,594,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
"Mistranslation card"? you act as if correct interpretation is of no importance. My back is not against any wall, not sure where you gathered that. If you don't want to be educated about the original Hebrew text, then there is no point in even discussing it.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Once again you have no proof that your God is any more real then anyones belief or lack of it. The bible is proof of nothing other then a story that can't be proven by you or anyone as real. Untill you or anyone Athiest's included it's JUST faith and nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality