U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 06:14 PM

357 posts, read 1,116,840 times

Advertisements

Ok, we've all read ancient myths from other non-Judaic civilizations, right? You know, the ones with monsters, minotaurs and Elephant headed people and giant turtles holding up the world and such, right?

The Bible is just as ancient as some of these myths and the Jews were less technologically advanced than the Greeks, Hindus, etc...however the Bible is so much more grounded in reality than Greek, Mespotamian, Egyptian, Aztec and Hindu mythology....no monsters, no crazy geography, etc... (I know that the Bible mentions the 4 corners of the Earth, but this is most likely refering to four corners of the known Hebrew world-four physical locations in the near east).

I know Atheists think walking on water is far fetched, but can you not admit that it's more plausable than other ancient religions? If the Ancient Judaic religion was fake, don't you think they'd inslude more of the standard conventions of near -eastern mythology like the world existing on a giant turtle's back or giant griffins and minotaurs?

Last edited by june 7th; 01-26-2012 at 06:43 PM..

Old 01-26-2012, 07:01 PM

28,815 posts, read 27,416,157 times
You find talking snakes and donkeys, people rising from the dead, a man living three days inside a fish, or an impossible flood believable? I don't.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:16 PM

16,301 posts, read 22,015,820 times
Riiiiiiiiight Poof, there's the universe, mold a little dirt and perform artificial respiration on it, and you man, take one of his ribs and there is a woman, then 5 miles of rain falls in a mere 40 days, or the sun stops in the sky for a day, etc. etc. etc.

Yea, I'm convinced

Old 01-26-2012, 07:21 PM

3,491 posts, read 4,620,277 times
I think we need to take a moment to clarify something.

There IS a difference between being "believable" and being "Divinely inspired". There are many completely believable stories to be found among the human race, but how many of them are truly Divinely inspired?

With regards to all,

-- Nighteyes

Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 PM

16,301 posts, read 22,015,820 times
Any story, every story, is from the imagination of a mere mortal.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:39 PM

13,881 posts, read 8,785,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You find talking snakes and donkeys, people rising from the dead, a man living three days inside a fish, or an impossible flood believable? I don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Riiiiiiiiight Poof, there's the universe, mold a little dirt and perform artificial respiration on it, and you man, take one of his ribs and there is a woman, then 5 miles of rain falls in a mere 40 days, or the sun stops in the sky for a day, etc. etc. etc.

Yea, I'm convinced
You folks saved me some typing.....thanks

To the OP, remember this as well, every great lie has a sprinkling of truth.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:39 PM

4,486 posts, read 3,902,838 times
Did you not read your bible OP?

In the book of Job, you have not one, but two monsters. Leviathan and Behemoth.

The book of Daniel has four.

The book of Revelations has a whole herd

Not to mention unicorns! Yep, thar be unicorns in the King James version!

Old 01-26-2012, 07:42 PM

7,878 posts, read 5,975,733 times
Fear not to mention the way Christianty came into power. It was more or less forced on everyone by the Catholic church. Even today people use fear as a selling point. Selling people on the idea that we're born into evil and we need NEED to be saved from ourselves. I agree that the world isn't a perfect place and with the news focusing on all the bad things going on. They got more then half of thier work already done for them. People want to believe that there is something better after this life. To make matters wose they believe that they derserve some type of reward for making it though life. Sadly they fail to see that life is what they make of it while they are alive.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:48 PM

7,878 posts, read 5,975,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I think we need to take a moment to clarify something.

There IS a difference between being "believable" and being "Divinely inspired". There are many completely believable stories to be found among the human race, but how many of them are truly Divinely inspired?

With regards to all,

-- Nighteyes

So what make's the bible so divinely inspired? Because someone said THIS is the word of God? Do people believe everything they read? Anything that someone said God did or said is true?

Old 01-26-2012, 07:51 PM

12,259 posts, read 16,407,664 times
Default Atheists, if the Bible is fake, then why are the stories in it and its worldview so believable?

They aren't.

My question is why to so many Christians insist on taking the stories literally instead of focusing on the real-life wisdom and guidance that bible stories attempt to communicate? That IS their true purpose after all... the Bible is clearly NOT a history book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.