U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 08:08 PM

5,298 posts, read 3,902,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Now you are just being funny...

Well whatever you think; but yes; smile, take a deep breath and think rationally as you have prior been. Push your points without anger and frustration , that fuels negative debate; I hold no intrest in negative debate;
And I am not asking you for what I will not do myself.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:11 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,283,787 times
Quote:
You really don't know any atheists do you? If you did you would not be making such false statements.
For starters 100% of my education, kindergarten through college, has been in Catholic schools. The atheists that I have encountered in my life have been mostly in the workplace, in casual social settings and a few in college. It has been my personal experience that atheists tend to have a need to "disprove" the religious beliefs particularly of Christians. There is a general disdain for Christianity as a whole.

Generally, these people have been self-centered, somewhat lacking in moral character and hedonistic in their lifestyles. I do not (and would not) have close friends who are atheists. If I am dating someone and find out that they are atheist, I end the relationship. I do not care to have people in my life who are not accountable to anyone, anything or to a higher power.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
For starters 100% of my education, kindergarten through college, has been in Catholic schools. The atheists that I have encountered in my life have been mostly in the workplace, in casual social settings and a few in college. It has been my personal experience that atheists tend to have a need to "disprove" the religious beliefs particularly of Christians. There is a general disdain for Christianity as a whole.

Generally, these people have been self-centered, somewhat lacking in moral character and hedonistic in their lifestyles. I do not (and would not) have close friends who are atheists. If I am dating someone and find out that they are atheist, I end the relationship. I do not care to have people in my life who are not accountable to anyone, anything or to a higher power.

Would you let an Atheist sign your paycheck? Would you let one operate on your children in a hospital? Would you deny an Atheist the Salvation of God? Would you eat food if an Atheist cooked it? Would you drive a car if an Atheist built it? Would you wear clothes if an Atheist made them?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:33 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,680,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

Surprise...I was also educated in Catholic schools, and most of my family remains in the Catholic faith...I also know many atheists, and I would not say that the atheists in my family or among my friends are less or more moral on average than the religious in those groups...Unlike you I am not bigoted against those whose beliefs differ from mine....Being prejudiced is a sad way to live.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:20 PM

15,290 posts, read 16,844,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
If you want to view the real killers, look at these;
Small Pox killed 60 million Europeans, and 500 million in the 20th century.
Spanish Flu killed 100 million
The Black death killed 75 million
Malaria, from the year 1600 until today, kills 2 million a year
Aids kills 25 million a year from 1981 until this day.

These numbers do not include many other plagues. Religion has not been the worlds worst killer.
No, if you believe in god though, he is the one who created all those lovely diseases, plus famine, plus natural disasters, etc.

Now, I don't believe in god, so I think these are just natural phenomena, but you should acknowledge that your *god* is a murderer.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:30 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,244,909 times
Quote:
Do you really want to pursue this line of reasoning? Shall I research religious people of low moral character, or will you accept prison statistics?

W. T. Root, professor of psychology at the Univ. of Pittsburgh, examined 1,916 prisoners and said "Indifference to religion, due to thought, strengthens character," adding that Unitarians, Agnostics, Atheists and Free-Thinkers are absent from penitentiaries or nearly so.

The non religious in the US is over 14% of the population, but only comprise 0.029% of those incarcerated...Why do you suppose that is if you religious are so moral?
I think you're misreading the stats. Self-identified atheism, agnosticism, free-thought, and Unitarianism is well under 14%. Also in prison there's a great value to belonging to a social-organization, particularly one seen as rehabilitative.

Still poor and/or uneducated people tend to be in prison more. Partly because their situation makes the criminal life more tempting and partly because poor or uneducated people tend to get sentenced more. Wealthier or better-educated people get better lawyers or are seen as "more respectable" to juries. So things common with the more affluent (Irreligion, Unitarianism, Mormonism, possibly Quakerism) are comparatively rare in prison. Irreligion is relatively unpopular with the poor as it doesn't have much of anything to offer them. No guidance, little to no specific charity, etc.

As I've said before I would need statistics beyond the US for comparison. Like in Scandinavia, Estonia, or Japan irreligious is common enough it might not have the same linkage to affluence. Or for that matter in Indonesia religiosity seems to be so Universal, going by studies, it might be interesting to compare by religion.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No, if you believe in god though, he is the one who created all those lovely diseases, plus famine, plus natural disasters, etc.

Now, I don't believe in god, so I think these are just natural phenomena, but you should acknowledge that your *god* is a murderer.

Oh yes, nothing and nobody has killed more humans than God. The lives were his to take;

And hes going to take a whole lot more!

Old 02-05-2012, 09:52 PM

37,500 posts, read 25,238,629 times
Default What would a world entirely populated by Atheist be like?

It would be pretty much what we have now . . . just different "issues" involved . . . people are people, period.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:34 PM

5,563 posts, read 6,148,910 times
Argumentum ad populum (appeal to numbers/statistics) is all that is been bandied out here. It proves nothing.

±50% of newborns are male means ±50% newborns are male

±80% of people believe in god means ±80% of people believe in god. It does not prove there is a god nor does it prove they have better morality.

The track record reflects more violence by believers than non believers simply because we have the stats above.

The stats are also erroneous to use as any validation as most who self identify as theists are nominal at best IOW they are not pious nor do they attend church outside of christenings, weddings and funerals. Based on similar stats here in South Africa, the town I stay in of ±50,000 there are not enough churches to accommodate all these (80%) folk and the number they cater for is in the order of 5-7%. The 83-85% of the folk are irreligious despite their self identification, most of which is gathered by census and answered on the basis of family cultural roots.

The atheists here need not self identify as there is no stigma attached to the name/title and will likely buy their booze from the same bottle store as the theists.

The society is already secular and for all intents and purposes, dedicated christians are the minority.

Couple with this, these dedicated evangelise everyone so from their perspective, anyone NOT attending church regularly is "lost". Evangelicals make up less than 2% of our town's population and they have most of the churches.

Th US stats must be similar and I am sure if I carried out a head count at each and every church in a similar sized town, cross referenced that to folk gambling or visiting bars/strip clubs, chances are I would find mostly theists and the numbers attending church regularly about the same as in my town.

Theists are no different to atheists other than personal belief. All the rest the theists espouse is meadow muffins. The morality of society is dictated by society regardless of personal convictions.

Most families own at least one bible, that does not mean they actually read or study it and by what we see here on these forums, it appears they do not read or study it.

Most atheists are anyway ex theists, a very small minority are 2nd or 3rd generation atheists. What you folk term as "new atheism" are these 1st generation atheists that actual did search for truth and found none. I, and many here fall into that category.

So envisioning your worst nightmare of a predominantly atheist or "godless" society, guess what, it has already happened.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:42 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,283,787 times
Quote:
Surprise...I was also educated in Catholic schools, and most of my family remains in the Catholic faith...I also know many atheists, and I would not say that the atheists in my family or among my friends are less or more moral on average than the religious in those groups...Unlike you I am not bigoted against those whose beliefs differ from mine....Being prejudiced is a sad way to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Would you let an Atheist sign your paycheck? Would you let one operate on your children in a hospital? Would you deny an Atheist the Salvation of God? Would you eat food if an Atheist cooked it? Would you drive a car if an Atheist built it? Would you wear clothes if an Atheist made them?
I actually hope that atheists have wonderful, fulfilling lives that are blissful and peaceful. If they are content with being non-believers, then that is their right. However, it is important that the people with whom I surround myself are spiritual and accountable to a higher power.

I do not care for the bitterness, cynicism and pessimism that usually goes along with the atheists that I have encountered. I do not wish to have people around me who are not spiritual and who take every opportunity to bash my Christian beliefs and faith in God. Or those who attempt to remove any and every reference to God or Jesus Christ from every aspect of American society. There is an inherent evil in the "crusades" that many atheists undertake in this country to banish every speck of symbolism of religion (usually its anti-Christian) even the point of attempting to wipe away history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.