U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 07:40 AM

7,811 posts, read 5,079,250 times

Advertisements

It is a discussion forum. If you do not want to be asked things then I would suggest this might not be the place for you.

Avoiding answering them does not help either. I ask again, where did you get the idea that maths came from astrology from? Citations, sources, references please.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:53 AM

5,298 posts, read 3,912,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
It is a discussion forum. If you do not want to be asked things then I would suggest this might not be the place for you.

Avoiding answering them does not help either. I ask again, where did you get the idea that maths came from astrology from? Citations, sources, references please.

Yes, its a discussion forum; what would be your suggestion to do if people keep asking you questions that you have already answered?

Again, my ideas on math comming from astrology came from my personal study of the bible, history, and my own consciousness. The bible and my consciousness is meaningless to you, and you ignore the history I have already gave, and the names of the people I gave mean nothing to you because they were religious.

Your not going to understand me, thats just all to it. You want to subtract the very key to understanding this history; religion. If you subtract or discredit that, you'll never understand what I am saying.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:56 AM

You have not answered, that is why I am asking.

The bible is not a reference text for mathematics. I am asking you what actual historical and/or scientific references can you give me to support the claim that maths came from astrology and/or god belief. I see nothing from you. When you say "I got it from my own consciousness" all you appear to be saying is "I made it up".

You owe me 1 million dollars. How do I know this? I know it from "my own consciousness". See, we can all play that game.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 AM

15,350 posts, read 16,941,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post

Again, my ideas on math comming from astrology came from my personal study of the bible, history, and my own consciousness.
Daily Kos: The bad math of astrology

Quote:
I felt the need to post the very simple math that debunks astrology once and forever (the same math that has been put forward for generations now) just so someone else can use it when yelling at people who believe in astrology. And since commenters over at CNN often times seem barely literate, I thought I would post it at a community of free thinking people.

If you want the mathematical ammunition, follow me over the fold.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Astrology is more akin to mathmatics than science is. Astrology came from divination, and so did math. A close look at the Babylonian empire will show that.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 AM

Again no citations or sources, you just appear to be making stuff up. Astrology is a joke too, at best. A charlatans ploy to make money at worst.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:08 AM

10,374 posts, read 10,439,403 times
Here's the problem, Mickiel. You are being asked simple, direct questions, but every answer you give is incomplete, missing the point or evasive.

Quote:
If my explinations " Don't cut it", why are you still asking for more? What, do you think if you keep asking and I keep giving you the same answers, that somehow there going to " Get Through?"

Duh? If he kept asking, he didn't want the same answer repeated!

My ideas come from my study and my own consciousness, simular to where your ideas come

Few people consider that a credible, adequately cited source.

from. I already gave you the model, you just do not see it; its not something you can get to right now. It is useless for you to wait for what has already been given.
Quote:

Hasn't stopped him yet.

You can keep asking, and Mickiel will keep avoiding. It's a circular discussion. Obviously mathematics did not develop from astrology. I think some research will yield the revelation that astrology did/does involve the use of mathematics. Sources? You've got to be kidding!

Quote:
Yes, its a discussion forum; what would be your suggestion to do if people keep asking you questions that you have already answered?

Who would that be? Obviously not you. You haven't answered Nozz's questions yet.

Again, my ideas on math comming from astrology came from my personal study of the bible, history, and my own consciousness. The bible and my consciousness is meaningless to you, and you ignore the history I have already gave, and the names of the people I gave mean nothing to you because they were religious.

You personal interpretations of the bible or history and whatever your own consciousness might compel you to write gets you absolutely nowhere toward answering the simple questions Nozz posted.

Your not going to understand me, thats just all to it. You want to subtract the very key to understanding this history; religion. If you subtract or discredit that, you'll never understand what I am saying.
So far, you have avoided answering all the questions, so nobody reading this understands you either. You made the claim math came from astrology. Nozz challenged that. You only answered by saying he left religion out.

You are right about one thing, though. Nobody will ever understand what you are saying.

Quote:
You have not answered, that is why I am asking.

The bible is not a reference text for mathematics. I am asking you what actual historical and/or scientific references can you give me to support the claim that maths came from astrology and/or god belief. I see nothing from you. When you say "I got it from my own consciousness" all you appear to be saying is "I made it up".

You owe me 1 million dollars. How do I know this? I know it from "my own consciousness". See, we can all play that game.
There are no historical or scientific references (unless they are hidden in someone's consciousness!). You are never going to get any answers because it was "all made up."

(I'm gaining a whole new appreciation for the IGNORE feature.)

Old 02-06-2012, 12:55 PM

As individuals we are at the mercy of our own limits in learning , our own collective imperitives. We see over our everyday attentions, our gardens and politics, and children, into the forms of our culture today; and many do that darkly. And many view science, Math and Astrology in these terms. And our culture is our history. Our history was shaped by religion, in my attempt to simply intrest others of that, I have seen them using and moving about through their cultural modern models amoung whose differences they may select their present modern understanding, but they cannot escape the totality of the past.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:03 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,359,835 times
Quote:
One would wonder how evil it would have been if Jesus behaved and thought simular to you, and didnot want to surround himself with unbelieving sinners; how many lives would have been lost or kept in darkness. But please don't get me wrong, I know your not like Jesus was, thats asking a bit much. Yet if a believer allows a " Root of Bitterness" toward any other group to set into their consciousness, satan can accomplish a lot with that root. Make it grow to the point that your just as sinister in ways, as the group you dispise. We can know how far bitterness has taken its root within us, by what comes out of us; your own words and how you espress them will convict you.

Their is an inherant evil in self righteousness also. The very thing you dislike in others, bitterness, has now taken root within you. The biblical principle is not to return evil with evil, bitterness with bitterness;

And not to act like a blind righteous person to blind unbelievers and treat them as if they are radioactive and can infect you by just standing next to them. I am certainly glad that Jesus didnot behave in such an elitist manner.
Um...OK

Atheists do not occupy any significant portion of my thoughts or concerns on a regular basis. If I happen to cross paths in my life with someone who is an atheist, I do not attempt to convert them into being believers or impose my views of faith on them...I just simply avoid them (if possible).

I am not on a personal crusade against nonbelievers, I just do not care to have them as a part of my inner circle because faith is such a big part of my life. I do not want to deal with having atheists push back every time I say "God bless you" or "Wow, what a blessing", etc. I would not be able to express myself without fear that the atheist would be constantly offended about my numerous daily references to God, Jesus, spirituality, etc.

My belief in God and in heaven are rock solid. I have no desire to "debate" it with people who are skeptics and always looking for an opportunity to spout their nonbeliever beliefs. I hope that the atheists have good lives, that they have an internal moral barometer of some sort and that they will one day have God revealed to them and have Him to touch their lives in a beautiful way.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:19 PM

4,480 posts, read 4,234,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Um...OK

Atheists do not occupy any significant portion of my thoughts or concerns on a regular basis. If I happen to cross paths in my life with someone who is an atheist, I do not attempt to convert them into being believers or impose my views of faith on them...I just simply avoid them (if possible).

I am not on a personal crusade against nonbelievers, I just do not care to have them as a part of my inner circle because faith is such a big part of my life. I do not want to deal with having atheists push back every time I say "God bless you" or "Wow, what a blessing", etc. I would not be able to express myself without fear that the atheist would be constantly offended about my numerous daily references to God, Jesus, spirituality, etc.

My belief in God and in heaven are rock solid. I have no desire to "debate" it with people who are skeptics and always looking for an opportunity to spout their nonbeliever beliefs. I hope that the atheists have good lives, that they have an internal moral barometer of some sort and that they will one day have God revealed to them and have Him to touch their lives in a beautiful way.
To bad for you. You're avoiding getting to know certain people due to your own ill conceived expectations of who they are and how you think they will react to your beliefs.

I'm a staunch atheist and my best friend is a born again christian. We respect each other due to who we are not what we believe.

Your god if he existed would be disappointed in your closed minded attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality