Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 08:09 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
In my view, yes; and I wouldnot have name people in some other venue, many of the Atheists and Agnostics here have that kind of thought in my view.
: yourself included.
Well your view is incorrect... All atheists have only one thing in common and it is not dogma.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:24 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,590,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Well your view is incorrect... All atheists have only one thing in common and it is not dogma.

Many Atheist here have Idiological dogmatic thought in my view ; and that kind of thought is not limited to any particular kind of subject. I said nothing of Dogma.

And the comment was meant as a true compliment; but you know; receive it as you will.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:31 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
What in your opinion is the difference between dogma, and dogmatic thought?

Old 01-30-2012, 08:46 PM

6 posts, read 4,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Humans aren't peaceful creatures by nature. We're flipping apes, for hells sake!

Atheism wouldn't create total world peace but it WOULD be more peaceful because the lack of religion would remove the catalyst for the vast majority of organized conflict in human history and remove huge perceived "noble cause(s)" from figuring into people's willingness to do war in the first place.

If we only fought over more mundane things directly like resources or power, large scale wars would be unsuccessful because people just don't fight for the sake of making other people rich and powerful. They have to be duped into fighting for ideals like Sharia Law, or God, or Jesus, ect. Even the Nazi's and Imperial Japan created warped pseudo-religions for the same purpose.
We may inherit ape like tendencies much to the chagrin of the apes.
There is already signs within Western societies of atheism becoming the new religion (scientism) and we need to ask if human power is synonymous with any lasting betterment.

Religion does not need to be compartmentalised; a sense of awe may well be sufficient. By realizing our possible secular inadequacies, we can all speculate on potentially higher cosmic things.
I imagine a world of atheists, with all forms of spirituality banned would eventaually result in Hell on Earth.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,590,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What in your opinion is the difference between dogma, and dogmatic thought?

In my view, dogma is a belief or a doctrine; Dogmatic thought is the strong assertion of your thoughts.; the strength in which you think on them and voice them.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 PM

912 posts, read 826,832 times
Lets say I'm an Emperor from distant lands. A land of atheists in a world of atheists.

I present my economic situation to world leaders and show my difficult situation. My distant land has suffered circumstances entwined with the birth rate, popular inter-family marriage circumstance's and other manufacturing problems. Included is an enormous degree of necessary hand-outs to the aged and resultant unusual quantity of mental retards due to children of the odd marriages.

My copious study demonstrates a very effective remedy. I explain to the Global Committee with graphs, projections, budget ect not only the most intelligent approach but the only possible solution.

I name the plan after decades of strife and numerous failing efforts The Final Solution. With great enthusiasm the immediate execution of 40% of my people is announced.

The atheist global committee argues that the plan is not in keeping with humanitarian initiatives & un-acceptable.

I argue that humanitarian ideals have been applied & did not help . Further.. I establish without any reasonable doubt that the global humanitarian initiative is in-convenient relative to the flourishing of my country.

It is then suggested by my team that humanitarian initiatives are rooted only in convenience as there is in fact no god or FSM. The Dream Team clearly shows convenience toward flourishment to .."outweigh" all agenda including humanitarian ideals. Convenience, prosperity , flourish ...is un-questionably the root, irreducible measuring stick not the positioned humanitarian objective.

Now what I'd like to know is...what right does another country or Global Committee have to interfere with my Final Solution & on what grounds exactly ?

It is my country and I will do as I please. The convenience of other humanitarian ideals are no longer convenient for our country. We did our best and these standards do not & will not work.

We will grow, flourish, prosper in our own way and no-one has the right to interfere as there is no logical justification in any way what so ever. Flourish rules.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 01-30-2012 at 09:30 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Good points;

I think it fair to say then that an Atheists society could function as normally as a Theist society would.
You think that believing in talking animals, towers that reach the heavens, zombies, global floods, walking on water, heaven and hell is 'normal'?????

Old 01-30-2012, 11:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Now I consider this an excellent response; thank you. This is how you respond when your defending something.

Let me ask; is Carmelia Pacaldo an Atheist?
I have no idea? Who is she? Nothing comes up on google with that name.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I think that, all else being equal, an atheistic society would be similar to a theistic one, except that there would be no deity/deities for use as justification for one's actions. That would be an improvement, since religions tend to be divisive both within a soceity and in relation to others which are seen as heretical/infidel/etc.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:29 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,365 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that Atheists do not have dogmatic idiological thought?
Yep. Most atheists are understanding and accepting of other world views. The only issue they have is when those world views claim to be the only way and try to enact laws or restrictions on others. Atheists choose to understand the world they live in rather then blindly follow some self proclaimed prophets words or some ancient book of "wisdom"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality