U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 07:54 AM

5,298 posts, read 3,901,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Yes, it's obvious that you change the facts. Glad you can admit it.

The 'fact' is that there are only about 7 billion people on earth, so how can there be 14 billion theists? Is this what you mean by 'changing the facts'?

You know your right, I re-researched it and my figures were WAY off. Good greif, I need to study a bit more in depth and stop giving these websites so much leway.

Thank you.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:10 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,216,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Your telling me to stop posting, and I understand why; but your effort to silence me falls on deaf ears, I am going to continue putting this stuff out everyday until I die.

The world is not entirely populated by Atheist, Theist are the dominant; Theist still rule; Theist still are the vast majority.

Now is the day of the Theist.
Theists are no longer the majority in many European countries and non-believers are gaining ground in many other countries. The world will probably never be entirely populated by atheists but religion will surely lose its dominant position as our understanding of nature progresses.

Anyway, this is not a good argument in favour of religion. There are many things that were once accepted by the vast majority of people but are no longer considered to be true or good.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Theists are no longer the majority in many European countries and non-believers are gaining ground in many other countries. The world will probably never be entirely populated by atheists but religion will surely lose its dominant position as our understanding of nature progresses.

Anyway, this is not a good argument in favour of religion. There are many things that were once accepted by the vast majority of people but are no longer considered to be true or good.

Let the arguement die out, the thread will be closed anyway.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:02 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,666,192 times
Quote:
Let the arguement die out, the thread will be closed anyway.
Running away again Mickiel?

Old 04-01-2012, 02:39 PM

13,837 posts, read 9,645,205 times
Quote:
There are at least 14 billion Theist all over the earth at this moment, an exact number is hard to calculate, but its in that area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
The 'fact' is that there are only about 7 billion people on earth, so how can there be 14 billion theists?
Quote:
You know your right, I re-researched it and my figures were WAY off. Good greif, I need to study a bit more in depth and stop giving these websites so much leway.

Thank you.
That's what happens when you rely on 'Lying for Jesus' web-sites.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
That's what happens when you rely on 'Lying for Jesus' web-sites.

I learned two things from this; to look at the whole website article in full, and to research the information itself that I draw from it, instead of quickly posting it.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:52 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,666,192 times
Quote:
I learned two things from this; to look at the whole website article in full, and to research the information itself that I draw from it, instead of quickly posting it.
That will help you...A lot!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,232,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
In logic, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people") is a fallacious argument
Which means it is a presumption and is not necessarily true. Just saying this as I once thought "fallacious" meant "false", but it doesn't. A fallacious argument may still be true or it may even be most likely to be true.

Birds are the only existing animals to be both warm-blooded and egg-laying
Sparrows are warm-blooded and lay eggs
Sparrows are birds

This is fallacious as monotremes are warm-blooded and lay eggs. However exempting them every animal, so far as I know, to fit as "warm blooded and egg-laying" is a bird.

For a more direct example

"Almost all pregnant women agree that a sexual encounter got them pregnant. Therefore pregnancy is caused by sex."

This is directly an argumentum ad populum. That most women agree sex got them pregnant does not mean sex did get them pregnant. Popular belief is not proof. Even if there is some correlation with them having sex and getting pregnant equating correlation to causation is also a fallacy. I remember reading that the least corrupt countries had higher cell-phone ownership, but that doesn't necessarily mean cell-phones reduce corruption.

However we all, I hope, know pregnancy is indeed caused by sex. Granted with IVF and all there might be more non-sexual pregnancies than in times past, but I think it's still over 80% or so of pregnancies that occur "naturally." Also I think even before we had microscopes to look at sperm or egg people believed sex caused pregnancy.

Consensus is not proof, but it does often make things more likely or at least more plausible.

Anyway as I said at music see you next Sunday. Although I'll add that's Easter, hurrah!

Last edited by Thomas R.; 04-01-2012 at 09:45 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,402,038 times
Incense and peppermints...and no belief in any gods? Am I getting warm?

Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 PM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Consensus is not proof, but it does often make things more likely or at least more plausible.
Throughout most of history, the consensus was that the sun and all the planets revolved around the earth.

This is why argumentum ad populum is fallacious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality