Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 08:00 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
The downside as follows;

People would be cheated of belief in God- which would lead to;

The end of the Salvation Army

The end of prison ministry

The end of Hospice

The end of the NAACP

The end of the Red Cross

The end of Biblical Archaeology

The end of all Seventh Day Adventist hospitals

The end of Astrology

The end of our calender

The end of our 24 hour day

The end of our 7 day week

The end of at least 65 to 75% of human history

The end of Jerusalem, Palestine, Jordan, and at least 2/3rds of the middle east

The end of Americas consitution

The end of YMCA

The end of Promise Keepers

The end of Crisis Pregnancy centers

The end of The Family Research council

The end of Rutherford Institute

The end of Habitat for humanity

The end of World Vision

It would indeed be a whole new world. One I think not even worth living in, muchless dying in.
Do you honestly believe Atheists don't care about anyone? Do you not think we'd address anyones needs?
Do you think that is the only purpose of your belief? This is a little naive.

Like I've said before, I've never seen a prayer, or questions about this earth or our existence answered by a God. Not once. Only by people. So, I'm sure that would continue.

We live in a world without God right now. God isn't here, God doesn't perform on earth. Only stories of
a God, or Gods. These stories can give hope but they can also fuel wars and hatred. It's not justified, it's not available for explanation. Gods or devils only exist when humans breath life into them with stories and praise. Thats it.

Instead of saying God worked through Dr.Tom to perform a miracle on me because I prayed for it, people would just say thanks to Dr. Tom for doing such a good job. They'd just be thankful for Dr. Toms ability to learn his craft and the education he received. It's not any different in what's actually is occurring presently.

If those same people used that energy and time to participate in life as we know it to be true I don't see it as a bad thing. Neighborhoods would still gather to help each other out, maybe even more so. Sometimes a God can make a human reliant and lazy. To pray for something doesn't actually mean you are helping someone out. It just means you are thinking about that person. While that is a nice thing, it isn't producing any help. It's just making you feel better.

I think you'd be surprised, a little more education and less idol worship might actually produce cures instead of the need for support groups for some of these woes.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:14 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Kiva.org
DonersChoose.org
EWB-usa.org
Amnesty international
Water.org
Doctors without boarders
Foundation beyond belief
Planned parenthood
Foundation Beyond Belief
Goodwill industries
Oxfam International
The Nature Conservancy
Rotary international
The SEED
S.H.A.R.E.
The Union of Concerned Scientists
United Nations Children’s fund
Wheelchair Foundation
PlanUSA

Now shall I list all the Buddhist charitable organizations that have nothing to do with god?

Cheers,
Aeroman
Not to mention, Atheist are use to ignoring the religious aspect of charities to some extent and still participate silently in them purely because they want to help others. How many Christians would participate in an Atheist sponsored charity, just to help others? I'm curious if the amount, if tables were turned, would be even close.

I imagine they might have a bit of a problem with an "Atheist for the homeless association." Atheist are extremely tolerant, to the point where they participate quietly just for the sake of helping the needy while respecting others beliefs. I don't think a non religious society would lack charity.

Thankfully Atheist don't need to label a charity. It just becomes a "help the homeless" cause. Purely the cause, not the motive.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:31 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default Christian money-grubbing behavior on display.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
This is just craziness...Half of these things are not religious or have nothing at all to do with gods or religion...One of your most misinformed posts ever.
True. These are all samples of greed and money grubbing supported by fear-mongering, things Mickiel says would be damaged or deleted. Of course, this is straight loonism, since a majority of the "org" noted would be far better off without the naked theivery and invaginous fingers that tinker in the box whenever they need some funds;

Orgs like:

The Salvation Army

The prison ministries

Hospice (apparently only those who profess a Christian belief can minister to the spiritual and physical needs of the dying. What was I doing then with my father, mother and brother?vWhich secular needs did I address?

The end of the NAACP (No great loss, but what, exactly, do they have to do, specifically and negatively, with the atheist helpers, pray tell?

The end of the Red Cross (Again, why? What specific Christian input is necessary for functioning Red CRoss actions.

The end of Biblical Archaeology (Why? No more interest in subterfuge and misdirection and outright liesas to what they mean and where they were absolutely found, thus usually debunking the short pagan earth story..

The end of all Seventh Day Adventist hospitals (Oh well, so what? Fewer kids getting murdered by t5he untimely withdrawl of appropriate medical techniques, to place it all "in the glorious hands of God, PTL! P. T.. L!!") in the name of an imagined Western God...)

The end of Astrology (Good. Taking a two-D vision of an always active 3-D presentation, and assigning imagined animal and personal characters to it, then coming to absolute conclusions about it, is simplistically unintelligible and demonstrably unsupportable.

Next: I'll put these all together, since they don't really fit anywhere else:

The end of our calender

Why, THE END of all these things pray tell? Or are you just wildly fear-mongering? I'd say so, since 'you have not one iota of evidence to support any or all of' these disastrous happenings. The earth continues to rotate on it's pretty well grav-defined orbit, and the sun will do its thing for another few multi-million years, and our day is defined by the interaction of these two bodies. So sorry; nother EPIC FAIL.

The end of at least 65 to 75% of human history (What? Why? Who's gonna erase it all? What; you going to instigate major Christian-led book burnings? Quite the trauma-oriented imagination you have there, big-E!

The end of Jerusalem, Palestine, Jordan, and at least 2/3rds of the middle east.

How, pray tell? 2/3 you state. On what possible basis? I could not find any such claim in the literature... Still, that seems inevitable anyways, what with the continued dispute between all the bible's claimed authors. The Islamic community will in fact, predominate by a simple mass of warrior thinking men. Unless we Westerners nuke it all (Hmmm...)

The end of America's Constitution (Hmmm. Jefferson& others specifically wrote major sections of it in order to protect us from the infractions and diggings of religious fractionism and power mongering. Seems to me it would improve the attention and adherence to that prized document. So sorry: another EF on your part.

Oh heck; all of the following would of course continue unabated, and in fact probably with a higher working fund level once the finger-dipping administrators stop taking their frequent tithes.

Imagining that Habitat for Humanity, the Crisis Pregnancy Centers and Promise Keepers would all just evaporate without "the glory be to god!" component to support the following semi-secular NGO and non-profit organizations...

The end of YMCA

The end of World Vision..

...is just imaginary speculation.

Or.... there's this generous scenario:

The End of Silliness and skimming it off the top...

Charity: Businesses Find Money in Charity | Christianity Today

Children Charities: Salaries of the Executives (the spokesman on TV, urging you to help the starving little doe-eyed Anna, is making $500k a year plus all his travel expenses. Nice!).

Read this next one and weep for your faith (note: these greed-baron guys should be stoned and whipped on the public whipping block, naked as the day they were born, and whimpering for "salvation"! "God, I'll never do it again, I promise!"

An Overview of Religious Financial Fraud « Christian News Headlines Blog

Ah yes, to dream of the end of all of this sticky-fingered theftism! How WILL we get by without 'em, huh? And of course they should all be taxed as big corporations with a taxable bottom line, natch.

(Wow! I can feel the relief already! YrHmbl (& non-profit )Srvnt: rflmn™)

Old 07-11-2012, 08:48 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,790 times
Quote:
A world of Atheism wouldnot escape the pitfalls of being human, conversely there is no doubt in my mind that Atheism would fair much better in many areas of humanity; such as;

Marriage

Education

Technology

The IQ of humanity I think would rise significantly

Bogus holidays and meaningless festivals would cease

The work ethic in the world would increase

I think politics would be better off

I think the health industry would improve

So even in my pounding of Atheism, I am not closed minded to its obvious benefits to a " Secular world."
Quote:
The downside as follows;

The end of the Salvation Army

The end of prison ministry

The end of Hospice

The end of the NAACP

The end of the Red Cross

The end of Biblical Archaeology

The end of all Seventh Day Adventist hospitals

The end of Astrology

The end of our calender

The end of at least 65 to 75% of human history

The end of Jerusalem, Palestine, Jordan, and at least 2/3rds of the middle east

The end of Americas consitution

The end of YMCA

The end of World Vision

It would indeed be a whole new world. One I think not even worth living in, muchless dying in.
Just for arguments sake say I don't dispute anything on your second list. Of those listed which even come close to out weighing the two outlined in green from your earlier list? I don't see any.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:05 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Just for arguments sake say I don't dispute anything on your second list. Of those listed which even come close to out weighing the two outlined in green from your earlier list? I don't see any.

The elimination of 2/3rds of the religious middle east is worth far more than education and IQ.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 AM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
The elimination of 2/3rds of the religious middle east is worth far more than education and IQ.
How exactly do you think 2/3rds of the middle east will be eliminated?

Old 07-11-2012, 10:55 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,230 times
Quote:
The downside as follows;

The end of Hospice
Moderator cut: deleted/rudeness Hospice and palliative care don't have a damn thing to do with god. I was involved with hospice for 23 years and am very familiar with its workings. Again, you fail miserably.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-12-2012 at 11:37 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 11:29 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,790 times
Quote:
I take it that this is the only item you think outweighs rising Mankind's overall education and intelligence. So lets examine this issue. Where do you think 2/3rd of the population of the Middle East would go? Do you think they're all going to commit mass suicide? I don't understand what you think would happen to the Middle East should religion be eliminated there. Especially since religion is the main factor in the unrest in that region and has been for centuries. If any area would benefit more from the absence of religion I cannot think of it. Well maybe Mississippi.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:52 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
How exactly do you think 2/3rds of the middle east will be eliminated?
Because 2/3rds of them would rather die than not believe in God; if you don't believe me, you try going over there and teaching Atheism; but if you do that you'd best be prepared to die yourself.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:57 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,396 times
Quote:
Because 2/3rds of them would rather die than not believe in God; if you don't believe me, you try going over there and teaching Atheism; but if you do that you'd best be prepared to die yourself.
Atheism isn't something that is forced upon you or even taught. It is something everyone has to realize for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality