Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 07:54 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times

Advertisements

Removed by rifleman: duplicate post.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:01 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Wink Oh Lord, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Women's rights would be suppressed in Christian society too if it is a Fundamentalist Christian society.
Quite so, nana, quite so! In fact, those rights are already fully subjugated in most Christian religions, but they are also accepted by the morally and ethically weak participants in most Christian congregations. The women there see it as their duty to be submissive to their men., esp. in that horrifying Southern Baptist religion.

To wit: in about 1998 or so, my then good friend, a recently born-again devout S. Baptist (as per his wife's insistence, btw. but wait!), called me up to celebrate, he said, the decision by the Southern Baptist Convention the ruling that S. B. women were indeed to be quietly and totally subservient to their lord & master husbands. My friend, who defined the Male Chauvinist Suidae genré, was ecstatic about this new ruling & clarification, predictably telling me that he saw unending sex in whatever form he wanted it! " Woman... make me happy!"

Wow! Yep: such are the tangible rewards of a good Baptist household, eh? At least, for the men-folk! But for you S. B. ladies? Perhaps not so much. PS: any female S. B. posters here to clarify this one for us "jealous men"?

He's no longer my friend, btw. I could not stand the arrogance and unending primal blathering which seems to attend that particular cult-like religious following.

By comparison, a world populated entirely by us Godless atheists would be, for the women folk, an unendingly glorious and equal-rights experience, esp. if I had anything to do with it!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:25 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
K-Luv: Atheists do not necessarily proclaim with certainty that there is no God. They simply don't believe in one, due to insufficient reliable data. I am an atheist but am not absolutely sure that there is no God. I am, however, certain that if there is a God, It does not correspond to the one(s) in any of the Abrahamic religions. Stating that atheism is a religion is like saying that bald is a hair color.

BTW, there is a local FM radio station KLUV, which unsurprisingly calls itself 'K-Luv'!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:16 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
What would a world entirely populated by Atheist be like? From all the post gathered in this thread I would give this short summary; It would be better in some areas, the same in others.
So your summary would be that a world entirely populated by atheists would, at worst, be no better than it is now and at best, an improvement in some areas? Everything to gain from an atheist world then?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:49 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,373,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
South Park did a show( actually one of their classic episodes) set in the future where everyone was atheists. Of course they still fought and killed each other over differing beliefs in atheistic philosophy.
Oh well if South Park said that is what it would be like then it MUST be true

Old 02-01-2012, 05:27 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So your summary would be that a world entirely populated by atheists would, at worst, be no better than it is now and at best, an improvement in some areas? Everything to gain from an atheist world then?
It seems that, provided the extremism which threatens to come with total control is avoided, the world can wobble along in the usual way. I'm just noting that religious control has been replaced in the last 200 years with more parliamentary type control. The evidence for a move towards secularism is already there. I'm looking towards a world where not even lip - service or half -belief in gods or their Holy Books is given credit and according undeserved respect to the pronouncements of religious leaders is no longer the norm.

The religious would occasionally get together to press the claims of religion, rather like the 'Moon - landings' skeptics. But those claims can be shown to be based on no sound evidence in a way that is not as yet given official support. That has to come.

The thread is about what an atheist world would (or might) be like, not what we expect to happen or are planning to bring about, so demands for evidence that the world is going atheist are not really relevant.

It's true that progress seems slow but there are encouraging signs. As far as I can see, the debates have been won and the job is in making the results known because so far, the false claims for Bible reliability, ID/Creationism, 'we can't do without religion' and the various rhetorical (rather than philosophical) arguments look convincing when they are produced because the refutations are not understood because we don't teach logical reasoning in schools.

In an more atheist society, I hope we would.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:22 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

I wouldnot say " Everything to gain", I would just say that I consider this world now to be basically Goddless, and if Atheist rule it would still be the same, better in some areas, a bit worse in others, but basically the same I would say. I would also say this; no matter what group one would choose to rule the earth, none of the groups that I see on earth, would dramactically improve the earth with no ill effects. No group would give the earth everything to gain.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:41 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
That's actually a lot more than most theists would grant. The generality would paint fearful pictures of coldly emotionless Mengeles in white coats exterminating all but a supposed master race of meat robots or a bunch of Neronian fanatics dragging out anyone suspected of religious beliefs and having mass impalings in the puiblic square. Even our reasonable pal Thom. R makes warning rumbles about Stalin and Pol pot (not so much Hitler, now it's known he was a theist of at least some form)

I believe you began by saying that civilization would collapse, though you skillfully morphed that into civilization as we know it would collapse and be replaced by another which you now see as not being much worse. Ever thought of going into politics?

So, all other things being equal, the advantage of an atheist worldview is simply this; that it is true. Disbelief in gods is justified by evidence, logic and reason and that alone is why we should teach it, promulgate it and embrace it.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:52 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That's actually a lot more than most theists would grant. The generality would paint fearful pictures of coldly emotionless Mengeles in white coats exterminating all but a supposed master race of meat robots or a bunch of Neronian fanatics dragging out anyone suspected of religious beliefs and having mass impalings in the puiblic square. Even our reasonable pal Thom. R makes warning rumbles about Stalin and Pol pot (not so much Hitler, now it's known he was a theist of at least some form)

I believe you began by saying that civilization would collapse, though you skillfully morphed that into civilization as we know it would collapse and be replaced by another which you now see as not being much worse. Ever thought of going into politics?

So, all other things being equal, the advantage of an atheist worldview is simply this; that it is true. Disbelief in gods is justified by evidence, logic and reason and that alone is why we should teach it, promulgate it and embrace it.

Well and I don't see why evidence, logic and reason couldnot successfully run this world, so Atheist could certainly do it. I would even say that an Atheist society would fair better than other societys of groups on earth, but so would a Christian society or a Buddist society, but none of those would bring perfection on earth, no humans could. Which is another reason why I believe only God can.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:50 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
As a Christian who has ditched the mainstream version of Christianity due to its ungodliness, I think that there are plenty of atheists who would make great leaders and be far more peaceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality