Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 12:28 PM

16,631 posts, read 15,583,585 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone reading this that can translate it into English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
As individuals we are at the mercy of our own limits in learning , our own collective imperitives. We see over our everyday attentions, our gardens and politics, and children, into the forms of our culture today; and many do that darkly. And many view science, Math and Astrology in these terms. And our culture is our history. Our history was shaped by religion, in my attempt to simply intrest others of that, I have seen them using and moving about through their cultural modern models amoung whose differences they may select their present modern understanding, but they cannot escape the totality of the past.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 PM

281 posts, read 255,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post

Your god if he existed would be disappointed in your closed minded attitude.
But her god DOES exist - as a construct in her mind, but nowhere else.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:33 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,491,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
To bad for you. You're avoiding getting to know certain people due to your own ill conceived expectations of who they are and how you think they will react to your beliefs.

I'm a staunch atheist and my best friend is a born again christian. We respect each other due to who we are not what we believe.

Your god if he existed would be disappointed in your closed minded attitude.
I would never want to have anyone in my life who would say something like this to me. Sorry but that is very rude and very indicative of the disrespectful attitudes of nonbelievers. I have no room for entertaining such negativity in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
But her god DOES exist - as a construct in her mind, but nowhere else.
Another example of the rudeness that is typical of atheists.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:45 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,583,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Um...OK

Atheists do not occupy any significant portion of my thoughts or concerns on a regular basis. If I happen to cross paths in my life with someone who is an atheist, I do not attempt to convert them into being believers or impose my views of faith on them...I just simply avoid them (if possible).

I am not on a personal crusade against nonbelievers, I just do not care to have them as a part of my inner circle because faith is such a big part of my life. I do not want to deal with having atheists push back every time I say "God bless you" or "Wow, what a blessing", etc. I would not be able to express myself without fear that the atheist would be constantly offended about my numerous daily references to God, Jesus, spirituality, etc.

My belief in God and in heaven are rock solid. I have no desire to "debate" it with people who are skeptics and always looking for an opportunity to spout their nonbeliever beliefs. I hope that the atheists have good lives, that they have an internal moral barometer of some sort and that they will one day have God revealed to them and have Him to touch their lives in a beautiful way.

There are some believers who think like this who have " Sectioned themselves off away from society", and created their own " Little holy citys." In this manner they don't have to come in contact with " Us sinners." They take the biblical adnomition to " Come out from amoung them- literally." Perhaps you may consider joining such a group.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:46 PM

281 posts, read 255,209 times
Quote:
I would never want to have anyone in my life who would say something like this to me. Sorry but that is very rude and very indicative of the disrespectful attitudes of nonbelievers. I have no room for entertaining such negativity in my life.

You confuse honesty with rudeness. YOU are the one believing in mythological deities, not us.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:47 PM

33,513 posts, read 37,061,236 times
Quote:

Truth cannot be considered rude.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:51 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,583,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

Truth certainly can be rude, if it is rudely told.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:57 PM

33,513 posts, read 37,061,236 times
Quote:
Truth certainly can be rude, if it is rudely told.
I agree, but in this case it wasn't.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:10 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,491,742 times
Quote:
There are some believers who think like this who have " Sectioned themselves off away from society", and created their own " Little holy citys." In this manner they don't have to come in contact with " Us sinners." They take the biblical adnomition to " Come out from amoung them- literally." Perhaps you may consider joining such a group.
The structure of my life is perfectly fine. No need to join a "group"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
You confuse honesty with rudeness. YOU are the one believing in mythological deities, not us.
No, that was rude (with the undertone of the bitterness of a person who is in a constant state of battle to espouse their atheistic views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I didn't see any "truth" in what was said...only snideness

ETA: I find it interesting that none of the atheists who have responded to any of my posts have been kind or nice in any of their replies. All of the responses have been prickly, snarky and full of condescension.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:16 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,106,672 times
People would still do all the stupid and bad things they do now, minus convincing themselves that such ideas or actions were somehow "god's will."

People are still people whether they're religious or not. God would just be replaced by something else to muck the world up, namely lust for power and greed. Funny enough, things are that way now with the majority of the world believing in a god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.