Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 04:23 AM

641 posts, read 558,180 times

Advertisements

I was thinking...

According to Christianity, the strong majority of all people who ever lived are going to hell when they die. So, statistically speaking, from the moment you're born on to this planet, you're far more likely to go to hell than to heaven. And since that's the case, aren't you doing an unborn child a FAVOR by aborting it while it's still innocent of any sin? I know that sounds terrible, but think about it: You either deny the child a chance to live on Earth for 70 or 80 years, sending it directly to a blissful celestial paradise, or you allow it those 80 years, followed by the strong probability of spending 400 trillion years burning in a furnace.

Of course, some Christians would say that a fetus is guilty of Adam and Eve's sin from the moment of its conception, but this places an aborted baby immediately in hell when it dies, because it fails to accept Jesus; and are we really prepared to say that aborted babies go to hell? Can those of you who have had children conscionably conceive of burning them in a furnace? How could heaven be a remotely enjoyable place if its residents were aware that infant children were burning in hell? In fact, why would a loving god even design such a place as hell to begin with? If you say that it was originally designed for Satan and his angels, you tacetly admit that the Christian god knew a separation would occur between him and his children, resulting in their burning in hell, and you admit that he STILL chose to create them.

Obviously, any parent who would do such a thing would not only be the worst parent imaginable; he would be a megalomanical psychopath.

In reality, the concept of hell didn't even exist in Old Testament Scripture. The iconic depictions of hell as we know it stem mostly from the New Testament book of Revelation, a book that wasn't added to the Bible until the fourth century, 300 years after Jesus lived. The word "hell" is not found anywhere in the Bible, but is an etymological remnant of the medieval Norse term for the underworld.

The reality is that Christian philosophy cannot withstand logical scrutiny from any angle; in fact, it almost doesn't matter where one starts; any rational inquiry in to Christian doctrine leads to the revealing of its absurdity. All one needs to do is ask questions and follow reason. Perhaps this is why the all of the various denominations of the larger Judeo-Christian-Islamic ethos issue the sternest punishments to unbelievers: it is as if skepticism poses the strongest threat to religion, in the same way that an antedote poses the strongest threat to a pathogen. It makes one wonder if religion could be classified as a mental illness.

Personally, I could never worship a god who would allow anyone to go to hell; and I think it's child abuse to teach children that they will burn in irrevocable torment when they die if they don't accept the religion of their parents. Notwithstanding, aborted children are fortunate to have avoided the punitivity of such a god, if he does exist. On the other hand, if he does not exist - and I'm confident that he doesn't - he necessarily is the ultimate abortionist, allowing billions upon billions of souls to be dissuaded, usually by mere education and common sense, from becoming members of whichever Earthly religion is the religion that grants them life in the world to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 04:30 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,373,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1 View Post
And since that's the case, aren't you doing an unborn child a FAVOR by aborting it while it's still innocent of any sin?
While I do not agree with the spirit of your argument or the conclusions, I have to admit to using a somewhat similar point in another context.

The context was a conversation about the word of Christ. I was being told by a preacher of this word that accepting the word and accepting Christ will guarantee you paradise. Rejecting it would bring you hell fire.

So I asked the obvious question "What of those people who never heard the word of Christ so did not have the option to accept it?". He quickly answered, based on sources I am still unaware of, that such people would be ok and sent to heaven.

I then pointed out that therefore by spreading the word of Christ at all he is putting in jeopardy the souls of people who were previously... in his words.... "ok" and "saved" by default. By spreading the word of Christ, thus giving people the option of rejecting Christ, he was putting them in a peril they were not in before and would have been entirely safe from had he just kept quiet.

He was entirely stumped and to this day has never actually gotten back to me on it.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:42 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,527 times
Assuming the Christian world-view is correct, wouldn't that be cheating? Instead of earning Heaven or Hell due to one's actions or merits, one is thrust into Heaven by the power of abortion? I'm not sure that would fly for too long.

That's also assuming, as I said, the typical Christian view (though not all) that babies automatically go to Heaven. Catholics would disagree, for one. It is a humurous, but scary point of view. I can see some crazy believer reading this and deciding to start sending babies home to Jesus!
"Get the clothes hanger, Martha! Dave Jr. will be receiving-nutrients-via-an-umbilical-cord-with Jesus now!"

Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
No you are confusing Christianity with state sponsored religion...no one is going to hell - we are all ready here is some respects. When a tax except Christian states "you are going to hell for that" - they are NOT speaking for God...I am sure and logic dictates that God...is not up there looking down at us little ants and thinking of ways of tormenting them - or punishing them - Mankind came up with this concept...Abortion - murder - gayness...are wrong because ancient laws dictate..that the tribe must grow and be numerous - anything that effects the numbers is a no no - murder kills - abortion kills and gays do not breed//These things were originally outlawed because sheer numbers of tribe members garnered survival and prosperity and safety - this stuff was pramatic not moral in scope.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:51 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,822 times
Child sacrifice of the ungodly is not uncommon in The Bible.

God never instructed His people to create and support public mandates
to stop the ungodly from murdering their children.

The righteous-right always want others to obey who they are.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:55 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Again Jesus the Christ was the most devine and intelligent thinker of all time..as far as life after death...I am sure that he had the quantum mechanics worked out to bring about that possiblity..The only reason that God expects godness or goodness from us is in the fact that good behavour creates a heavenly existance on earth...and that good or godlike actions...may and most likely assist one in transending death...it's all very possible...so you have to have faith that it is...Just don't let any human being coerce you into giving them money by saying...If you don't you are going to hell...Hell and heaven can exist here...and only we as individuals can choose where we live...A young person walking along a sunny road in the country..holding the hand of his first love...is in heaven - a man laying in the gutter - drunk - half starved and crazed is in hell..

Old 02-02-2012, 08:10 AM

9 posts, read 9,267 times
The godlike anti-christ is also available. He allows the the decided politics of friends working with one another to BE DEMOCRATIC for improvable wealth. If the Republicans were all strangers to each other than we'd have starve and realize that no more possibilities for more wealth, and it's political meaning of democracy working or something.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:02 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,822 times
THE God of The Bible never instructed His people
to create & support public mandates in preventing
the heathen from killing their kids.

The righteous-right want everyone to obey them.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:37 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1 View Post
I was thinking...

According to Christianity, the strong majority of all people who ever lived are going to hell when they die. So, statistically speaking, from the moment you're born on to this planet, you're far more likely to go to hell than to heaven. And since that's the case, aren't you doing an unborn child a FAVOR by aborting it while it's still innocent of any sin? I know that sounds terrible, but think about it: You either deny the child a chance to live on Earth for 70 or 80 years, sending it directly to a blissful celestial paradise, or you allow it those 80 years, followed by the strong probability of spending 400 trillion years burning in a furnace.

Of course, some Christians would say that a fetus is guilty of Adam and Eve's sin from the moment of its conception, but this places an aborted baby immediately in hell when it dies, because it fails to accept Jesus; and are we really prepared to say that aborted babies go to hell? Can those of you who have had children conscionably conceive of burning them in a furnace? How could heaven be a remotely enjoyable place if its residents were aware that infant children were burning in hell? In fact, why would a loving god even design such a place as hell to begin with? If you say that it was originally designed for Satan and his angels, you tacetly admit that the Christian god knew a separation would occur between him and his children, resulting in their burning in hell, and you admit that he STILL chose to create them.

Obviously, any parent who would do such a thing would not only be the worst parent imaginable; he would be a megalomanical psychopath.

In reality, the concept of hell didn't even exist in Old Testament Scripture. The iconic depictions of hell as we know it stem mostly from the New Testament book of Revelation, a book that wasn't added to the Bible until the fourth century, 300 years after Jesus lived. The word "hell" is not found anywhere in the Bible, but is an etymological remnant of the medieval Norse term for the underworld.

The reality is that Christian philosophy cannot withstand logical scrutiny from any angle; in fact, it almost doesn't matter where one starts; any rational inquiry in to Christian doctrine leads to the revealing of its absurdity. All one needs to do is ask questions and follow reason. Perhaps this is why the all of the various denominations of the larger Judeo-Christian-Islamic ethos issue the sternest punishments to unbelievers: it is as if skepticism poses the strongest threat to religion, in the same way that an antedote poses the strongest threat to a pathogen. It makes one wonder if religion could be classified as a mental illness.

Personally, I could never worship a god who would allow anyone to go to hell; and I think it's child abuse to teach children that they will burn in irrevocable torment when they die if they don't accept the religion of their parents. Notwithstanding, aborted children are fortunate to have avoided the punitivity of such a god, if he does exist. On the other hand, if he does not exist - and I'm confident that he doesn't - he necessarily is the ultimate abortionist, allowing billions upon billions of souls to be dissuaded, usually by mere education and common sense, from becoming members of whichever Earthly religion is the religion that grants them life in the world to come.
I agree. It's better to abort the babies if hell is real and if most will go there. So all those Christian mothers who claim to love children should not even have sex in order to avoid thrusting their child into hell.

I had an example in my mind about God and hell:
God is like a crime ring leader: loves those who always obey him and is extremely cruel to those who don't. Christians consider such a man a bad person. But God is allowed to do the bad things for some reason...

Or another example is of a mother who claims to deeply love her child, to the point where she would give her life for it... But then one day when the child didn't obey her, she strangled it to death with her own hands... What a mother.... what a god...

Old 02-02-2012, 02:43 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,185 times
God forgives, I hope. Sometimes abortion is viewed and necessary by some. The lesser of two evils.
It's better to abstain or use birth control (in my opinion), but sometimes things happen to people who are careless, and those people aren't necessarily prepared to be parents or even carry a baby to term in order to put the baby up for adoption.

Why God allows women to conceive if they are incapable of raising children, when it's a sin to have an abortion, I haven't figured out.

All I can say is...see my first sentence.

If we are to repent in order to gain acceptance into heaven, but one of the commandments is "thou shall not lie" then, I guess I'm screwed.

I can say I'm sorry I wasn't careful enough not to get pregnant, but I think I made the right choice after I did. I wish I hadn't been faced with that decision, but I was...it sucked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality