Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:26 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
He gave us free will, did he not?

And humanity needs controls. If you teach children that there are no consequences for their actions on earth, they will act accordingly.

You do not have the answers one way or the other, but if you base it upon reality and where logic fits in within our realty, everything that we do has consequences.

So is it not more logical to assume that we have consequences even in death?
Who teaches their kids that there are no consequences for their actions?

What would the consequences after death be? Buried in the wrong graveyard? Once I die there are no consequences that will affect me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post
About the Adam and Eve concept...why didn't the flood erase original sin? I thought Noah and his family were supposed to be a renewal of humankind. Isn't that why God let everyone but Noah's family die in the flood? To get rid of the sinners?

um...what possible basis exists for this conclusion?

Old 02-06-2012, 10:30 AM

164 posts, read 186,444 times
Quote:
1 Timothy 4:4 begins with: "For everything created by God is good"

I know this passage is regarding forbidden foods, but if God created us, then from this passage are we not also good?
Do you disagree with this? Are you not good when you are born, ignorant to the ways of man?

People become bad.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

What would the consequences after death be? Buried in the wrong graveyard? Once I die there are no consequences that will affect me.
The main tenant of atheism is "there is no God."

This implies that there is nobody left to judge us after our heart beats for the last time.

If there is no one left to judge us, there are no consequences.

Atheism is the belief that there are ultimately no consequences for our actions on earth.

Is there a falacy in this or does it not fit in your agenda?

I think a child could figure this one out. Atheism is the ultimate freedom. You can do whatever the hell you want, and when things get hard, simply cease to exist and that's all there is to it.

Is this not true?

Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,135 times
Quote:
The main tenant of atheism is "there is no God."

This implies that there is nobody left to judge us after our heart beats for the last time.

If there is no one left to judge us, there are no consequences.

Atheism is the belief that there are ultimately no consequences for our actions on earth.

Is there a falacy in this or does it not fit in your agenda?

I think a child could figure this one out. Atheism is the ultimate freedom. You can do whatever the hell you want, and when things get hard, simply cease to exist and that's all there is to it.

Is this not true?
It is, in fact, not true. But you refuse to accept this, because it flies in the face of your preconceived judgments. So you will continue to spout blatant lies, as it serves your purpose and you are happy to be ignorant.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
It's all us atheists picking up the slack.
I don't know if atheists believe in sin, but I think it's safe to say that they atleast understand the concept of sin.

With that said, do you actually believe you do not sin?

Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times
Quote:
1 Timothy 4:4 begins with: "For everything created by God is good"

I know this passage is regarding forbidden foods, but if God created us, then from this passage are we not also good?
You're right about the context. To your larger point, when God created mankind, He gave us free will to choose. When man chose evil, he no longer was "good". God, in His divine mercy, provided a way for us to become righteous again. That avenue is the redemptive work of Christ.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:41 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

I taught public school for 29 years. Believe me, there are some!

Old 02-06-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
It is, in fact, not true. But you refuse to accept this, because it flies in the face of your preconceived judgments. So you will continue to spout blatant lies, as it serves your purpose and you are happy to be ignorant.
Explain how this is not true, when clearly it is.

Let's set up a scenario:

Parent: "Son, there is no God."

Son: "Does this mean that when I die, I will cease to exist?"

Parent: "Yes."

Son: "So, this means that there won't be any judgement for my actions on earth because if I cease to exist, and there is no God, there is no one left to judge, and even if there was, I cease to exist, so it is irrelevant."

Parent: "Technically yes, but people will judge you, and we've created laws to deal with bad behavior."

Son: "Suppose somebody invented a weapon of some sort powerful enough to where no man can enforce the law upon this person. Let's say this man abuses his powers in ways that are seriously detrimental to society in the sense that he creates mass genocide. Are you telling me, that when this person dies, there are no consequences for how he lived his life on earth?"

Parent: "Well...uh...no, uh that's not what atheism is about."

Son:WhatModerator cut: editare you talking about?"

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-07-2012 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: language

Old 02-06-2012, 10:42 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,135 times
Quote:
I don't know if atheists believe in sin, but I think it's safe to say that they atleast understand the concept of sin.

With that said, do you actually believe you do not sin?
Do I do things that are harmful to myself and others? Sure. Minor things. I don't eat as well as I should. I use more resources than I probably need to. Sometimes I can be snippy and rude with friends and loved ones. I could probably stand to volunteer more/give more to charity.

But I also don't do any of the "major sins." I don't commit murder. I don't commit adultery. I don't rape or steal or push old folk out of the way as I'm walking.

As an aside, atheists don't believe in "sin" the way you do. Atheists, of course, can have any number of beliefs when it comes down to morality, but generally I'd say that most try to do what they believe is in the best interest, and avoid things that are harmful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality