Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 AM

428 posts, read 486,850 times

Advertisements

I saw this message on a Catholic church billboard. Is this something that Christians really believe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,368,550 times
It would seem to be in many cases yes, though one must be aware of the fact that there are well over 33,000 branches of Christianity with different, sometimes even irreconcilable beliefs so there is no one thing that "all" Christians believe really.

There does seem to be an emotional version of Stolkholm Syndrome at play in religions like Christianity however. The idea as one man put it is that you are "born sick and commanded to get well".

You are held slave to this notion that there is a perfect standard of "good" and "bad" which god (and Jesus) is... and which you must strive towards even though you will never attain it... after all you are born a sinner and are little more than a clot of blood or a lump of dust.

All the while you are told that god deigns to love you anyway, despite your failing the standard set by it. It loves you and you need to be grateful for this. That is what completes the Stolkholm syndrome part of it. You are admonished to love your captor.

It truely does seem a ludicrous and malicious doctrine. I remember the documentary Debroah13 which was done on english TV following a home schooled teen taught in the ways of creationism and evangelism in the Ray Comfort styles. Forced to watch video after video of convicted Criminal Kent Hovind for example.

At one point in the show she breaks down in tears at her disgust for herself and her failure to be worthy in the eyes of Jesus and at her gratitude that "he" loves her anyway. It was horrific to watch as aside from the twisted doctrines that have left her so emotionally wasted, she is one of the most articular, beautiful and kind hearted kids I have ever seen. Were I her age myself I likely would fall madly in love with her and not rest until she was mine. She was just lovely in every way and yet she was being nothing less than emotionally tortured by those who claimed to love her.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:54 AM

337 posts, read 408,907 times
Yes I believe it. I'm not Catholic, bet an evangelical Christian. Man can't even keep 10 rules.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:55 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,363,729 times
The point is that we were all born with inherant sin. By our fallen nature, man is not good.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,770,345 times
Yes. Matthew 19:17

Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,549,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
The point is that we were all born with inherant sin. By our fallen nature, man is not good.

Well, considering that man created god, where is this perfection or good?

It follows that if man, by your own teaching is made in the gods "image", then this god cannot be good unless man is also good.

The notion is just another way to attempt to control humanity in general to conform to the will of the few.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:01 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,363,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Well, considering that man created god, where is this perfection or good?

It follows that if man, by your own teaching is made in the gods "image", then this god cannot be good unless man is also good.

The notion is just another way to attempt to control humanity in general to conform to the will of the few.

God created man, gave him a set of rules to follow. Man sinned, thereby signalling the fall. You are 100% backwards with your theology. But unless you believe, none of this will make any sense to you.

Even though we were created in holiness, Adam failed to render perfect obedience. If the tree is corrupt, the fruit will also be borne corrupt.

We are loved by God, regardless, but to say we are "good" is to have zero knowledge of scripture.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 AM

Nozz, that Stolkholm syndrome sounds freaky. I can see how it could be applied to religion. Kind of like how some people feel they are unworthy without God's love. And how Christians still long for God's approval even though his character in the Bible is rash and vengeful at times. I wonder if Stolkholm syndrome also applies to abused children?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:17 AM

If Christians believe mankind is not good, that only God is good, then why is there so much good in the world?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
God created man, gave him a set of rules to follow. Man sinned, thereby signalling the fall. You are 100% backwards with your theology. But unless you believe, none of this will make any sense to you.

Even though we were created in holiness, Adam failed to render perfect obedience. If the tree is corrupt, the fruit will also be borne corrupt.

We are loved by God, regardless, but to say we are "good" is to have zero knowledge of scripture.
About the Adam and Eve concept...why didn't the flood erase original sin? I thought Noah and his family were supposed to be a renewal of humankind. Isn't that why God let everyone but Noah's family die in the flood? To get rid of the sinners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality