Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 PM

531 posts, read 479,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
YES!
This is the key that the majority seem to be missing!

Wrong.
Baptism is an outward, external symbol, pointing to something more significant.
Baptism in itself is not mental and spiritual well-being.
Jesus taught that the kingdom of God is within (not external) Luke 17:21.
Jesus taught that rituals (like baptism &) like Sabbath observances are made for the benefit of man, not man made for them. Mark 2:27

Scriptures are writings of imperfect human beings like you or I.
Do you take everything anyone on this forum writes as scripture?
I don't.
Why do we take other writings of fellow human beings to be words of God?
Especially when they've been through devilish hands who have killed others for trying to translate it for the common people, and some (like Constatine, Councils and King James) who have twisted wording to support those in power & put down those not in power.

There are beautiful messages in scriptures - but they need to be held up to the light of reason and spirit, for interpretation.
wrong. it either is or it isn't essential. the layout of the question denies a third option. One says it is, another says it is not.

it can't kinda be essential.

You miss my point. One of them is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 09:50 PM

531 posts, read 479,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Two possible motives come to mind.
1- You want to save my soul
2- You want affirmation that your belief is correct.

I am sure there are more possiblitites, but these are the first two that come to my mind.

PS I have probably started about 3 threads in Christianity over the past few months.
1- i have never, nor will i ever save someone's soul. Jesus saves. I know what you were getting at, and i understand. but i never want there to be any indication that i am more than I am.

2- I validate my belief with the scriptures.

a third option is: I love you. I love you because God loves me and as a disciple of Christ, i must endeavor to be like him. Denominationalism would have us believe that division is okay. we can believe differently as long as we believe in the same God. but How can we be like Christ if we accept division? If we live with it. If we accept it as just "the way it is"? I realize my words here might never have an impact on anyone. but I cannot accept it.

that's why its important to me.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:08 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
Not really...just lose interest in inane debates.
That's rich coming from someone that spends time discussing 'sneaking candy/food into the movie theatre.'

Old 02-15-2012, 04:55 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
what you are saying there, is that Baptism is not essential.
....unless you want it to be. Which means it's not essential.
Yeah, I think we're understanding each other, LuminousTruth.

What's "essential" for "salvation" is another topic.
But suffice it to say... salvation is an inside (not outside) job.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:01 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
wrong. it either is or it isn't essential. the layout of the question denies a third option. One says it is, another says it is not.

it can't kinda be essential.

You miss my point. One of them is wrong.
Atomtkirk,
Life and interpretations of it (esp. religious rituals) are not black or white... Thinking that it is this extreme or that extreme is a psychological cognitive disorder based on "bi-polar" thinking. Also, this type of insistance that it must be interpreted this way or that is the basis of religious persecutions (aka "Mythical consciousness").

Let's get clear on what we're referring to when we talk about essential.
You are referring to what is most important for salvation, right?
"Salvation: Deliverance from sin and its consequences."
What is sin? I mean at the core root - what is it?
Thoughts precede feelings and actions, therefore sin is incorrect/harmful thoughts.
How can ANYONE save you from your thinking, except YOU?

Old 02-16-2012, 02:27 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
That's rich coming from someone that spends time discussing 'sneaking candy/food into the movie theatre.'

Is that wrong??

I missed that discussion!

Old 02-16-2012, 02:56 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Is that wrong??
No, it's not "wrong" and I didn't say it was. I just find it amusing that someone who spends time discussing 'sneaking candy into cinemas' should lose interest in inane debates.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:20 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
I think for some it helps justify what they believe. Perhaps they tend to have doubts themselves., so they feel a need to convert/push others into believing as they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality