Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 PM

229 posts, read 205,737 times

Advertisements

Albert Einstein was the man. That quote just summerizes the Religion vs Science up so wonderfully. To bad blood will be spilled in order to make one the "right" way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 11:50 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,187,412 times
What does religion bring to the table of science?

Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 PM

229 posts, read 205,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
What does religion bring to the table of science?
Earliest ceremonial rites were performed 223,000 - 100,000 BCE by Neanderthals. Helps to prove our own evolution time period.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:04 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,693,271 times
Now all you need to do is look at what Einstein meant by religion. Here's a hint - it doesn't have much to do with gods or worship in any traditional sense. I'm OK with that, but I doubt most religious believers would be.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:32 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,324,270 times
Other Einstein quotes:

The Religious Beliefs of Albert Einstein: "I am not an atheist." // Current TV

Einstein believed in "Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of what exists."

"I want to know how God created this world, I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details."

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the source of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms -- this knowledge, this feeling, is at the center of true religion. --Einstein said ("Einstein, Albert" in The Enlightened Mind, ed. Stephen Mitchell; New York: Harper Collins, 1991)"

"I am not an Atheist"

"Mere unbelief in a personal God is no philosophy at all."

"I am a deeply religious nonbeliever... This is a somewhat new kind of religion."

Sounds he had a deep reverence for the common ancestor of both science and religion...the urge to make guesses about the world around us.

Going to agree that religion doesn't have a lot to offer science though, so long as religion is defined as concrete viewpoints about what is, which don't necessarily relate to what seems to be.

If religion is something that merely fills in the cracks leftover after the studying of the world around oneself and finding questions un-answered, then it's a necessity for everyone, and everyone has one...atheists, agnostics, and nihilists just haven't named theirs...although I don't know if that's what Einstein meant.

Last edited by Clintone; 02-07-2012 at 10:45 AM..

Old 02-07-2012, 10:46 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,022,198 times
Spinoza's "God" was essentially Nature - or, all-of-existence. This God was not anthropomorphic (did not have human qualities such as passions, intelligence, plans, prohibitions, etc.), so traditional religion is not possible using Spinoza's ideas. It's the "god" of the philosophers, the scientists - so it makes perfect sense that Einstein would invoke such a phrase.

As another poster pointed out, however, many proponents of traditional religious systems will point to Einstein's comments and assume that they apply to their religious system - having never studied Spinoza - and conclude that "gee, if a great scientist such as Einstein believes in God, well..."

We still have to wonder how sincere the Mechanists were being when they posited natural laws, but at the heart of it all - a god. Freedom of Speech was not so liberal as to prevent certain speakers from being killed for their efforts. Spinoza's God might go by a different name, if written today.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:34 AM

33,494 posts, read 36,970,737 times
It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954) From Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, Princeton University Press

Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,199,883 times
Why does it even matter what Einstein thought about god? He'd have been better off if he had stuck to physics.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:16 PM

22,219 posts, read 21,478,199 times
It would help if there were some examples of what religion has brought to science. By science I mean the process, not scientists who were religious.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:58 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,022,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Why does it even matter what Einstein thought about god? He'd have been better off if he had stuck to physics.
Because there are religious folks who use Einstein's thoughts on "God" in an attempt to "prove" that one of the greatest scientific minds of the last century was - despite what he knew about science and the cosmos - convinced that there was a God responsible for it all. Not caring to delve any deeper into Einstein's actual words (that he was speaking of Spinoza's God, essentially), they attempt to use his words as justification for their own religious tradition.

That is why it matters to the religious. It should matter to the irreligious because it works against science and everything Einstein stood for, in all actuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality