Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:06 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times

Advertisements

Looking over my post, directly above, it's obvious that this will be far too complex, educational and intense for our denialist poster. He only spouts challenges, but then won't respond.

I understand. I DO! I don't anticipate any response to my simple questions, but then, by default,

I also WIN this argument. Evolution easily proven and un-questioned.

It's sadly easy with this intransigent. After all, he operates by sheer gut-response & exaggeration, and by being "in awe".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 12:11 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
During my lifetime I have had to withdraw from many things; just to name a few, Alcohol abuse, having way too many women at one time, and over the counter drug abuse. The act of withdrawal can be a very hard challanging experience, as you are trying to pull away from something that your mind and body is craving for. Something that you like or Love very much, but its beginning to damage you so you know you have to gain control of it, because its now controlling you.

The mind and body suffers severely during withdrawal, because it has gotten use to what you have been doing, its now " Habitual." The habit does not want to die within you; it wants to live, because now it has a life of its own.

Having been raised in Religion all my youth, I was indoctrinated into patterns of belief, but I never really fit in. Oh I tried, I participated until it was everyday ritual. But then something in me rebelled, and I came to realize that I no longer wanted religion in my life. I was in my 40's, and now I was about to turn away from what had been a main stable in my life; religion. I was not turning away from God, or my beliefs, or Jesus reality; my problem was with religion; I knew that I was about to withdraw from religion!

And that withdrawal has been without question, one of the most stressful, freeing experiences I have ever had to suffer through. And one of the most eye opening experiences in my life! I had to digest that a turning away from religion, was not a turning away from God; it was a redefining of my beliefs.
Not sure I see religion as addiction in this instance but regardless, it is really quite hard, lonely, scary and brave for people to go their own way regardless of the situation, topic.
I applaud you and wish you well.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:58 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If you were a reasonable debater I probably would do that, but since you think you are a walking, talking encyclopedia, and plenty of evidence has already been offered and offhandedly dismissed by you, it would be an exercise in futility...I have never before encountered such a self proclaimed expert such as you, and as a "people watcher" I find you and your ego mildly interesting.

Show me anywhere on the internet in the 20th century that I have claimed to be an expert , can you please show me where your getting your information about me; somebodys taking you for a long ride man. I am not an intellect, I have trouble spelling; I didnot make it pass 2 years in college and I have not progressed beyond this. I am a janitor by trade and I have NEVER claimed any of these things you are claiming about me.

But it reminds me of this; when you can't handle what is being said, attack who's saying it!

Old 02-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Not sure I see religion as addiction in this instance but regardless, it is really quite hard, lonely, scary and brave for people to go their own way regardless of the situation, topic.
I applaud you and wish you well.

Well thank you, so very much;

Peace on your journey.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

I also WIN this argument. Evolution easily proven and un-questioned.

".

I hold absolutely no intrest in people who constantly insult me and expect a reasonable response. So you win every arguement with me. You win, you have won; your victorious!

Congradulations!

Old 02-12-2012, 02:18 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Show me anywhere on the internet in the 20th century that I have claimed to be an expert , can you please show me where your getting your information about me; somebodys taking you for a long ride man. I am not an intellect, I have trouble spelling; I didnot make it pass 2 years in college and I have not progressed beyond this. I am a janitor by trade and I have NEVER claimed any of these things you are claiming about me.

But it reminds me of this; when you can't handle what is being said, attack who's saying it!
I didn't say you made the claim, but when you state the most far out ideas as fact, then reject all evidence to the contrary then you come off as what I refer to as a "know it all".

Old 02-12-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I didn't say you made the claim, but when you state the most far out ideas as fact, then reject all evidence to the contrary then you come off as what I refer to as a "know it all".

Well I certainly don't mean to make that impression on you, however it is of intrest that you got that impression. When you reject all evidence from Theist who make your facts seem far out, do they view you as a know it all? I have never accused you of ANY of the things you constantly accuse me of, and this is uncalled for in debate. I mean " Why" do you do this? Why? For what?

Why come after me? Go after what I am saying, dismantle the points. I mean your making progress, why not go further? And dare to see how much finer a debate can be minus the personal attacks. Making me appear smaller does not decrease my points.

Atheism to me is a far out approach, theism to you is a far out approach; these are a given. It is what it is. I hold no need to attack you personally, I am leaving a legacy here in written form, I am not going to waste it with senseless bickering.

And you are leaving a legacy. And its up to you how serious you take this.

This internet is affording us a worldwide legacy, and I refuse to leave one of uselessly attacking peoples personage and slinging mindless mudd!

Old 02-12-2012, 04:43 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
[SIZE=3]Sooner or later we must realize there is no station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip.
Robert J. Hastings [/SIZE]

I think a memorial to William Blake sums it up best
I must create a system, or be enslav’d by another man’s. I will not reason and compare: my business is to createJerusalem

Religion can be addictive. Perhaps one reason Mar likened it to a certain drug. The books of Fr Booth deal with religious addictions and abuse. I have encountered clients who exhibit an addiction to religion (sometimes unheALTHY )
Some people grow up with abuusive alcoholic parents. As adults they refuse to drink anything alcoholic, turning to an issue of extreme avoidance. Others follow the same path not knowing the fdifference
For me, growing up with a mother who had episodes of religious addiction, I have turned not totally away from it but looked at it from an acedemic and professional view to try to understand it.
Some people would say "Oh my dad was so violent and abusive when he drank" Well, my mom was cruel and hatefull when she was invovled in her Baptist church. We used to refer to her silently as a PBFH. We all knew when she was going to spend 7 days a week doing some church related thing and trying to drag us kids along because her attitude would become just downright mean and nasty !!. Looking back, she demonstrated mental issues which today would be treatable with the right meds, but in her desperation, she turned to bad religion just like others would turn to moonshine.
So Michil do not think of this journey as an all or nothing issue. It is possible to be mildly involved with religion jsut as one would choose to drink socially. The bigger concern is what is going on within you and what religion is doing to you. That is the root of your question and your journey

Old 02-12-2012, 06:47 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
What exactly is your "withdrawal" from religion? You have said in another thread that you believe in the Bible and you are constantly listing your "proofs" of Jesus and God. So I don't quite see the purpose of this thread.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
[SIZE=3]Sooner or later we must realize there is no station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Robert J. Hastings [/SIZE]

I think a memorial to William Blake sums it up best
I must create a system, or be enslav’d by another man’s. I will not reason and compare: my business is to create—Jerusalem

Religion can be addictive. Perhaps one reason Mar likened it to a certain drug. The books of Fr Booth deal with religious addictions and abuse. I have encountered clients who exhibit an addiction to religion (sometimes unheALTHY )
Some people grow up with abuusive alcoholic parents. As adults they refuse to drink anything alcoholic, turning to an issue of extreme avoidance. Others follow the same path not knowing the fdifference
For me, growing up with a mother who had episodes of religious addiction, I have turned not totally away from it but looked at it from an acedemic and professional view to try to understand it.
Some people would say "Oh my dad was so violent and abusive when he drank" Well, my mom was cruel and hatefull when she was invovled in her Baptist church. We used to refer to her silently as a PBFH. We all knew when she was going to spend 7 days a week doing some church related thing and trying to drag us kids along because her attitude would become just downright mean and nasty !!. Looking back, she demonstrated mental issues which today would be treatable with the right meds, but in her desperation, she turned to bad religion just like others would turn to moonshine.
So Michil do not think of this journey as an all or nothing issue. It is possible to be mildly involved with religion jsut as one would choose to drink socially. The bigger concern is what is going on within you and what religion is doing to you. That is the root of your question and your journey

I understand.

Peace on your journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality