Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:42 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times

Advertisements

godservant:

"Pure" and "Innocent" are not equal to things like "Good" or "Desirable". Children can be (and very often are) purely cruel and innocent of any understanding of empathy or consequences of their actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 05:46 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
I am speaking of the Church NOT Catholics themselves, but to many of those the Church can do no wrong.
OK, yes, you are right, the ones in power have covered up or ignored those things, and some of their flock won't question them.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:49 PM

322 posts, read 317,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
godservant:

"Pure" and "Innocent" are not equal to things like "Good" or "Desirable". Children can be (and very often are) purely cruel and innocent of any understanding of empathy or consequences of their actions.
i think we are the ones taht are cruel - the adults

children play together and dont hold grudeges. we fight and carrying around our negative feelings eveywehre we go .

we are the ones who teach the children but we dont even see that killing them is wrong.. scary place to live in for sure.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:51 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
So, are we talking about women or abortion or babies or what?

Old 02-10-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Mightyqueen, I have always been an admirer of strong minded women, women of independent thinking, women who are not afraid to show their intellect, women who are not afraid to stand up for their rights as human beings. In my culture women are regarded very highly and are very highly respected. Even this old warrior has the highest respect for a woman by the name of Wilma Pearl Mankiller, she became the very first woman to be elected Principle Chief of the Cherokee Nation in 1983 and retired from public office in 1995, she served for 12 years and when she passed away on April 6, 2010 the Cherokee Nation lost a very brave and respected woman.
Ptsum, I looked up Wilma Mankiller, and I got a glimpse of why you have so much respect for her. I just read an exerpt from Every Day Is A Good Day. It was just a short bit about how her family was relocated from their tribal lands to go live in the projects in San Francisco, and then how she returned as an adult. I would like to read the rest of her autobiography.

The article ended with these words from her book:

"Gadugi, or working collectively for the common good, is an abiding attribute of Cherokee culture."

It would be beautiful if that was an attribute of all cultures.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Okay, wait a minute. Are y'all saying it's wrong for a woman to choose to stay home and raise her children. To be the more nuturing one in the family? To choose to allow the husband to be the breadwinner? To lead the family, if he is good at doing it?

I just can't see those things as wrong.

God forbid a woman put her children before her career. Y'all just blow my mind sometimes.

It's not wrong to want a career and it's not wrong to want to allow the man to be in charge.

Whatever works for each couple is what works for them.

Here we go judging those who make different choices from our own again.
I agree. I also see it as beautiful thing if a woman wants to willingly yield her power so her husband may be the leader. It is my belief that the husband may be the "head' but the woman is the "neck" She provides support and ALLOWS the head to turn and guide.
Of course, I also belong to a church that believes in the priesthood of ALL believers
Woman ARE seen as equal but they have different roles that compliment each other.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
So, are we talking about women or abortion or babies or what?
I am having trouble following what "godservant" is talking about.

But the thread is about how some women are not considered equal to men in the eyes of their religion, including the control of their reproductive choices.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:12 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am having trouble following what "godservant" is talking about.

But the thread is about how some women are not considered equal to men in the eyes of their religion, including the control of their reproductive choices.
I believe she is saying abortion is wrong, and shouldn't even have to be a choice, if women respected themselves enough to get with a man who respects them enough to have sex within the bounds of marriage.
I tend to agree, tho' I do think abortion should be a medical option when the life of the mother is at risk, and possibly in cases of rape or incest.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:20 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godservant View Post
i think we are the ones taht are cruel - the adults

children play together and dont hold grudeges. we fight and carrying around our negative feelings eveywehre we go .

we are the ones who teach the children but we dont even see that killing them is wrong.. scary place to live in for sure.

godservant, childeren are precious, in the Native American culture childeren are considered the most precious thing that we could have, we regard them as our future and they are to be well taken care of above everything else, but I also believe that women should have the choice as to whether they want childeren or not and I also believe that if a woman does not want to have children she should be afforded the means to not have them and not have her religion tell her whether she should or not. I feel it is not the place of any religion or any government to tell a woman what she can and can not do with her body, that should be her decision. I am not advocating abortion, though I am pro choice and being that means that I think it should not be up to me or any government or any religion to tell a woman what to do with her body, that choice, which she should be free to have, is hers and only hers.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:23 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ptsum, I looked up Wilma Mankiller, and I got a glimpse of why you have so much respect for her. I just read an exerpt from Every Day Is A Good Day. It was just a short bit about how her family was relocated from their tribal lands to go live in the projects in San Francisco, and then how she returned as an adult. I would like to read the rest of her autobiography.

The article ended with these words from her book:

"Gadugi, or working collectively for the common good, is an abiding attribute of Cherokee culture."

It would be beautiful if that was an attribute of all cultures.

Yes, she was quite a remarkable person and a woman that is well respected for what she accomplished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality