Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:39 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,472,289 times

Advertisements

The year 1967 (I was in the Navy serving my country) and the Supreme Court overturned marriage laws that discriminated against others based solely based on religious bigotry and intolerance.

As the graphic shows states (in red) this effected primarily what is known as the bible belt.

Now what laws were overturned that were clear demonstration of hatred based on religion. Is this any different than the overturning of Prop 8 other than served no purpose, and had no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of the targeted individuals.

Spoiler
Interracial marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are opposed to people having the right to gay marriage, do you also oppose the Supreme Court ruling from 1967? Explain the difference and why!

Old 02-09-2012, 10:50 AM

16,631 posts, read 15,583,585 times
I don't care who gets married to whom, as long as they are both unmarried consenting adults. (I don't really care if more than two people want to marry, but see no need to cloud up the point under discussion.) I would expect other people to take as much interest in my marriage as I take in theirs.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:47 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,892,755 times
As is the PC thing people do these days, I will, nonetheless, thank you now, Asheville, for your selfless service to this chosen country of mine. Difference is that I truly, sincerely mean it! Back then (in '67 I was... lesseee thimk thmik... 20 yrs old.) I was a young Canook in Camo, with dreams of the glory in war!

I was also just right for plucking and sending over to 'Nam as Cannon Fodder. Trouble was, I was a Canuck, just into the Canadian Army, 72nd Seaforth Highlanders Regiment, them kilted baztarhd boyz (The Maidens from Hell, the Nazis use o say...), who nonetheless had a fearsome reputation for being outstanding marksmen (no doubt because the Canuck Army only issued us each 3 rounds of .308/NATO ammo for our FN CALs, semi-auto only: two to practice with, and one if a war should break out!)

http://www.seaforthhighlanders.ca/history/history.html (broken link)

I actually travelled down to Bellingham, WA, in early '68, close to my Vancouver, BC home, and inquired about enrolling into the US Army sniper school (I'd actually come in 2nd in all of Canada in the annual long-range rifle comps, with a 10-shot 46" group, but that was @ 1000 meters, (OMG!!!) and with an iron-sighted .308 converted Lee-Enfield bolt gun. Iron sights!). Why waste that skill and training after all, huh?

The recruiters were very interested, but somehow I got lost in the process, and now I'm awfully glad I did not end up enrolling! Too young, after all! What does a 20 yr old really understand, esp. about their spirituality and religion. This is also when I lost my Christianity: reality and introspection can do that!

BTW, Why where "we" over there anyhow? Which sort of ship were you on? Carrier, tug, destroyer, barge?

But still: think of the maturing experiences of face-to-face wear, huh? Esp. when you know down deep that you should not even be there in the first place!

Churchill had some famous quote about how maturing it is to be shot at and survive. Oh yeah: here it is: "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...#ixzz1lvcOSS8n

Talk about bigotry & hypocrisy though. The raving anti-war activists at the airports, strung out on mescaline and weed, coupled with the Christians who would have happily sent most young men off to fight off the "dreaded commies!" [long as it wasn't their kids.... ], all of it quite tragi-frantic and funny, though at a very real cost in human suffering and the lives of innocent young men. Many of them came back with a serious heroin habit they could never kick.

So: they initiated numerous offshore wars to help build a Christian democracy our way? Can we hope or say Never Again? Sorry: we have the Bush-Raqi war and Afghanistan to now clean ourselves out of. Gawd Help Us! And we're thinking about maybe co-surging into Iran with Israel? Or into Syria? Oh Lawdy Lawdy...

Specifically, as to the OP, I will absolutely fight for the rights of private American citizens to do whatever harmless things they choose to do in the privacy of their own homes and lives. And with the babies they have formed up in their own bodies, though I also require them to be thoughtful and sincere about it, not flippant nor cavalier). And I will protect the independent thinkers amongst us not have to ever again endure the slings & arrows of public rant-a-chants spewing from the bigoted mouths of rabid Christian activists everywhere, with their über-righteous "Holier-Than-Thou" and "We-Know-Best" attitudes.

Dub-Yah's Christian Bigotry; should be a bumper sticker there somewhere!

Last edited by rifleman; 02-09-2012 at 04:09 PM..

Old 02-10-2012, 03:17 AM

912 posts, read 825,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The year 1967 (I was in the Navy serving my country) and the Supreme Court overturned marriage laws that discriminated against others based solely based on religious bigotry and intolerance.

As the graphic shows states (in red) this effected primarily what is known as the bible belt.

Now what laws were overturned that were clear demonstration of hatred based on religion. Is this any different than the overturning of Prop 8 other than served no purpose, and had no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of the targeted individuals.

Spoiler
Interracial marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are opposed to people having the right to gay marriage, do you also oppose the Supreme Court ruling from 1967? Explain the difference and why!

Oh Brother...

Why don't you get some data from a few major city hospitals and interview the MD's on the night shift...better still my nephew is one, just lovin it....great career choice...oh I just love hearin the stories... ask away...or ask a cop in an area ( I know one...wait two...my sis married one , hes a sarg now ...do some of what do you guys wanna call it SM investigation before flapping about it.......you want the highlights on gay predictable lifestyle issues, you wanna know who wants the marriage tax breaks....is that right ?Who wants to adopt?

Do you know what ratting is ?

Get real and wake up. Wheres the suggested training-discipline-ethic ..

You'll use anything to take a shot a religion...and deny the above training -ethic- discipline

Like its been said ...convieniance.
Moderator cut: inappropriate language

Are you not the guy about 4 weeks ago slammed someones ill fated father with this cr..p saying ...duh people should know

member that beauty..?

you had the full hour and a half to retract and did not

so....no biggy in my books...bad day...we all have em....but

I didn't see any of the ( A ) tidying that up....right..? No the theists gotta clean it up

So....no morals....no ethics....convienience

I wanna fit in

Gay marriage...ya ok....meanwhile what..? The world knows the developed countries have their shnauze in the mud. Just perfect.
This is where...this nonsense gets you.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-13-2012 at 07:16 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 04:32 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,355,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
Oh Brother...

Why don't you get some data from a few major city hospitals and interview the MD's on the night shift...better still my nephew is one, just lovin it....great career choice...oh I just love hearin the stories... ask away...or ask a cop in an area ( I know one...wait two...my sis married one , hes a sarg now ...do some of what do you guys wanna call it SM investigation before flapping about it.......you want the highlights on gay predictable lifestyle issues, you wanna know who wants the marriage tax breaks....is that right ?Who wants to adopt?

You'll use anything to take a shot a religion...and deny the above training -ethic- discipline

Ash you know D.. well your just using this sh... to hit on religion .

Are you not the guy about 4 weeks ago slammed someones ill fated father with this cr..p saying ...duh people should know

member that beauty..?

I didn't see any of the ( A ) tidying that up....right..? No the theists gotta clean it up

I wanna fit in

Gay marriage...ya ok....meanwhile what..? The world knows the developed countries have their shnauze in the mud. Just perfect.
Um... what?

Old 02-10-2012, 05:26 AM

912 posts, read 825,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Um... what?
Oh .../.ok

So you need further explanation is that right? Perfect.

Well its very simple...you guys want to talk about gay people. I have nothing against gay people however believe they are sick and need help not encouragement.

Ideas of marriage are encouragement. If you have trouble comprehending this part I cannot help you.

I can send you a PM with my reasons based on happenings in our hospitals if you like.....would that be ok, reason being the details would not be suitable for public chatting.

The weird thing about the gay propaganda attention baloney....is that the general public is so daft that the whole momentum of this aversion is , well you know...forgotton. So what is it exactly that gay people are..? does anyone know....or should we just forget about that part? Oh no ...they don't hurt anyone....Ya ok....well if they count as individuals then maybe they are hurting themselves. Wheres a few statistics.

Training, discipline army ethic ....give me a royal break.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 AM

428 posts, read 485,905 times
Quote:
I can send you a PM with my reasons based on happenings in our hospitals if you like.....would that be ok, reason being the details would not be suitable for public chatting.
I would also be interested in hearing your reasons. I am pro-gay marriage, but always curious how the other side justifies their views.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:35 AM

33,513 posts, read 37,061,236 times
Quote:
Oh .../.ok

So you need further explanation is that right? Perfect.

Well its very simple...you guys want to talk about gay people. I have nothing against gay people however believe they are sick and need help not encouragement.

Ideas of marriage are encouragement. If you have trouble comprehending this part I cannot help you.

The weird thing about the gay propaganda attention baloney....is that the general public is so daft that the whole momentum of this aversion is , well you know...forgotton. So what is it exactly that gay people are..? does anyone know....or should we just forget about that part? Oh no ...they don't hurt anyone....Ya ok....well if they count as individuals then maybe they are hurting themselves. Wheres a few statistics.

Training, discipline army ethic ....give me a royal break.
You seem to be a perfect example of the OP....I'm saddened to know that there are so many people that remain bigoted against gays....There is no valid reason for this prejudice.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,127,120 times
Quote:

On what do you base this belief. Is their illness physical? Is it mental? What training do you have to diagnose an illness? Or is your belief based on religious teachings.

"I have nothing against gay people" You realize this does not jive with this:
"however I believe they are sick" You don't have anything against them? You think who they are at the core of their being is a sickness. I think those that believe this are the sick ones. Religion that is teaching this belief is just spreading sickness.

What do you Oh wise one suggest they should do? Should gays just deny who they are? Or maybe God can fix them after making them that way in the first place. Silly God.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,472,289 times
Quote:
Oh Brother...

Ash you know D.. well your just using this sh... to hit on religion .

member that beauty..?

I wanna fit in

And there you have it; irrational visceral racism, raw, naked and very ugly

I see the ugly side of racism all too often around here. Some try to disguise it, but it is just stubborn and willful racially motivated stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.