U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-11-2012, 11:16 PM

2,043 posts, read 686,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
This is the Anthropic Principle; that the universe appears to have been fine-tuned for our existence. Again, simply stunning proof of God!

This is actually a tremendous misunderstanding of the Anthropic Principle. It is not at its core a theistic idea. The idea is that the universe appears tailored to us, only because we exist to observe it. It is a way of rationalizing the fine tuning of the universe, without resorting to the supernatural, based on the fact that we exist.

Do yourself a favor and check out Anthropic principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a good overview of the history of and the various approaches to the Anthropic Principle.

NoCapo

Old 02-11-2012, 11:21 PM

5,298 posts, read 1,977,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
And......? There are several other planets in our solar system that are freezing or burning. We just happen to be sitting in the right spot. Still not proof of any sort of God.

An incredible weak base at best, this " We just happen to be".

We just happen to have the right amount of cells in our body
We just happen to have the right atmosphere on earth to substain life
we just happen to have life
we just happen to have consciousness
Protons just happen to be larger than electrons
Earths " Albedo" just happens to reflect the right amount of light reflected off the planet versus the total amount absorbed
Gravity just happens to be weaker than electromagnetism
Protons just happens to be positively charged
Humans just happen to be different races
The Archer fish just happens to be able to bring down bugs by shooting water from the surface
Humans just happen to have the protien Cilium
Archaeology just happens to find biblical records
Gravity just happens to hold planets in their orbit
Humans just happen to have a disgestive system
The Retina just happens to be inverted
The Sun just happens to be 93 million miles from earth
They just happen to find Nimrods Castle
Humming birds just happen to weigh 1/4 of an ounce

Just " Happen to be" is not proof of anything.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:26 PM

24,613 posts, read 17,770,771 times
This is ridiculous....None of the creatures you have mentioned "just happen to be" they are all products of evolution as are their attributes...

Old 02-11-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Is this not almost an exact duplicate of this thread? http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-yourself.html

Are you suggesting that you have never started a thread on a subject that you covered before?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:28 PM

24,613 posts, read 17,770,771 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that you have never started a thread on a subject that you covered before?
That is right, because it is against city data's terms of service.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:30 PM

8,629 posts, read 3,769,436 times
Quote:

Just " Happen to be" is not proof of anything.
I never claimed to be trying to prove a thing. You are the one saying you have proof but that proof is obviously based on a lack of understanding on your part.

I suggest you cross reference your fine tuning argument with the water-pot hole argument.

I'm not exactly certain of how it goes but something to the effect of the water saying " oh look at this pot hole, it is perfectly designed to fit my exact size and shape" when in reality, it is the water that took the same size and shape of the hole, not the other way around.

Have a good evening, it's time for me to get some rest.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
This is ridiculous....None of the creatures you have mentioned "just happen to be" they are all products of evolution as are their attributes...

Speak for yourself, I am not the product of the idiot hierarchies of speechless apes. Nor will my mind accept that all the creatures on earth are products of chemicals that crawled out from under a rock.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
That is right, because it is against city data's terms of service.

Your trying to convince me that no Atheist here has ever started more than one thread on evolution? On Religion?

Come on man, get real and if your trying to derail the thread, at least be creative about your intentions.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I never claimed to be trying to prove a thing. You are the one saying you have proof but that proof is obviously based on a lack of understanding on your part.

I suggest you cross reference your fine tuning argument with the water-pot hole argument.

I'm not exactly certain of how it goes but something to the effect of the water saying " oh look at this pot hole, it is perfectly designed to fit my exact size and shape" when in reality, it is the water that took the same size and shape of the hole, not the other way around.

Have a good evening, it's time for me to get some rest.

A good rest to you;

Peace.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:37 PM

8,629 posts, read 3,769,436 times
Quote:
Speak for yourself, I am not the product of the idiot hierarchies of speechless apes. Nor will my mind accept that all the creatures on earth are products of chemicals that crawled out from under a rock.
Well theres your problem right there. You are unwilling to even consider an idea that is not your own. You are closed minded. How can you rule something out that you have not and are not willing to consider. I guess you have your answers already. This is futile. Goodnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.