U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM
 
Location: South Africa
5,362 posts, read 3,267,110 times
Reputation: 1631
Eusebius

I am sorry I wasted my time with such long posts to you. These past few posts simply demonstrate your ignorance of many topics and is the same old lame apologetics the ET folk use. You are just a fundy w/o the hell bits.

FWIW, neither my atheist friends or I want to share a day in the afterlife with your ilk let alone an eternity.

Disappointing

 
Old 02-16-2012, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
24,115 posts, read 16,782,384 times
Reputation: 9681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You give no proof. You want the details? Here: MURDER BY COMMUNISM

Well over fifty million people murdered by atheists.
Repeating this lie does not make it true....Here is a little background on Stalin...

Stalin created a cult of personality in the Soviet Union around both himself and Lenin. Stalin became the focus of literature, poetry, music, paintings and film that exhibited fawning devotion. He was sometimes credited with almost god-like qualities, In a 1956 speech, Nikita Khrushchev denounced Stalin's cult of personality with these words: "It is impermissible and foreign to the spirit of Marxism-Leninism to elevate one person, to transform him into a superman possessing supernatural characteristics akin to those of a god.
 
Old 02-16-2012, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,806 posts, read 13,207,669 times
Reputation: 4733
I would feel "eternally damned" if I had to be subjected to the "love and salvation" of the god which Eusebius believes in.
 
Old 02-17-2012, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, California
4,324 posts, read 1,039,045 times
Reputation: 1029
You know what? What gives the folk who are religious the right to determine whether or not someone is 'damned'? It's just a made-up imaginary punishment to keep the sheep (the religious folk) in line.

No imaginary person/deity/god/omnipotent fool (I'm not claiming God doesn't exist, just saying that for sake or argument) is going to keep me from reuniting from a family member that was taken from me 4 years ago.

I'm agnostic, but if I were to believe in Heaven and Hell - then I know exactly where I'll be going, no matter what the person/being/man upstairs has to say about it. I determine where I go through my actions and my actions below.

The religious (most of them) are just trying to find ways to shove religion on those who forsake and attempt to intimidate others by threatening some imaginary punishment. Never mind the fact they don't have the right to do so, but hey *shrugs* someone has to be crazy in this world. Go for it!
 
Old 02-17-2012, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,621 posts, read 6,320,445 times
Reputation: 3617
Wink How's about an honest answer. Just this once! Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
i guess you guys did not read the scriptures that were written. i know you dont care to read them either but you jumped to conclusion thinking that the scriptures were hateful and maybe condeming. well they were:

etc etc.

Euseibus was just showing the salvation is for all, not just some. each will be saved in their own order. Dont worry athiest, we who believe that what christ did was enough to save humanity are condemned by church goers as well.

Some of you did exactly what the church goers do, you jumped to conclusion without searching the fact.
Do you guys not get it? If some of us atheists, i.e.: those of us who are, in truth, professional, published and accredited scientists with a lot of related specific technical education & research experience behind our statements, simply took to posting endless walls of text out of the latest university-level biology books, how would you take that?

As in: Would that convince you of anything, I wonder?

(I mean, given that, if it's in a modern upper-level technical textbook, it's been well vetted, researched, reproduced and duplicated many times over. Simple lab experiments for example. Do you just dismiss them all since they are in that biology text book.?

And so do you then similarly dismiss the information in, let's say, a Civil Engineering text book on bridge girder design? Are no bridges really safe, or is God holding them all up with spiritual guidance?)


So then, do you honestly think your often page-long paste-ups of biblical quotes will change our minds?

Alternately, a good follow-up question might well be: after studiously reading your bible, do you guys then think about, critically review and then synthesize this stuff for your own general philosophical outlook, so you have a ready, well understood and elegant opinion that reflects your own independent thoughts and summarizations on your chosen life religion? I certainly would, given how vigorously you believe in and defend it all, seemingly without question...

Or is it all and always "cut & paste forever" as the sole representation of your seeming "cut and paste" spirituality? Just curious, you understand.

Let's also note that most straight-up biblical posts are not in modern English, but are instead from some translation of that gilt-edged book by some guy about 500+ years ago at minimum, and therefore could (and most often are) simply interpreted (or translated...) to suit the situation.

How valid do you think that appears to be?

So... Would you please take the time to answer this one? Just this one? Please? (You guys usually wholesale-ignore any questions from us, but at least you're safe on this one, right? It doesn't have some radical biochemical/Evolutionist point of view, so go ahead; answer it please. It won't bite, you know! It's only philosophical after all.)
 
Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,621 posts, read 6,320,445 times
Reputation: 3617
Default What, Stalin & I are good buddies, you claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You give no proof. You want the details? Here: MURDER BY COMMUNISM

Well over fifty million people murdered by atheists.
Why do you add in that word "atheist" here. I read your link, and found this:

"As used here, genocide is the killing of people because of their ethnicity, race, religion, or language".

How can we understand all this killing by communists? It is the marriage of an absolutist ideology with the absolute power. Communists believed that they knew the truth, absolutely. They believed that they knew through Marxism what would bring about the greatest human welfare and happiness. And they believed that power, the dictatorship of the proletariat, must be used to tear down the old feudal or capitalist order and rebuild society and culture to realize this utopia. Nothing must stand in the way of its achievement. Government--the Communist Party--was thus above any law. All institutions, cultural norms, traditions, and sentiments were expendable. And the people were as though lumber and bricks, to be used in building the new world."

What made this secular religion so utterly lethal was its seizure of all the state's instrument of force and coercion and their immediate use to destroy or control all independent sources of power, such as the church, the professions, private businesses, schools, and, of course, the family.

But what connects them all is this. As a government's power is more unrestrained, as its power reaches into all the corners of culture and society, and as it is less democratic, then the more likely it is to kill its own citizens. There is more than a correlation here. As totalitarian power increases, democide multiplies until it curves sharply upward when totalitarianism is near absolute. As a governing elite has the power to do whatever it wants, whether to satisfy its most personal desires, to pursue what it believes is right and true, it may do so whatever the cost in lives. In this case power is the necessary condition for mass murder. Once an elite have it, other causes and conditions can operated to bring about the immediate genocide, terrorism, massacres, or whatever killing an elite feels is warranted."

(and finally, this gem of truth & fact, noting they also mention when religion gets it's way

"The more power the center has to impose the beliefs of an ideological or religious elite or impose the whims of a [thug] dictator, the more likely human lives are to be sacrificed. This is but one reason, but perhaps the most important one, for fostering liberal democracy. 


Noting as well that liberal democracies usually appreciate athestic perspectives for the general societal rule of law.

Also, mostly for political reasons, as many of Stalin's top generals found out. Hey; this guy wasn't some general atheist philosopher type, he was CERTIFIABLE, CRIMINALLY, VIOLENTLY NUTZ, and you know it. You only pick this one out to support an unsupportable allegation. What are you saying, that all atheists in power are murders and thugs?

But please, do point out the phrases in the link you provided us where it's noted that this was all atheist- or religious persecution-based. Please.

Else, don't lie. That attribute seems to come far too easily for many agenda-driven Christians in their baseless disregard for the power of the truth (i.e: one of atheism's most basic tenets).

I also note that most Christians seem to actively ignore that truly and inarguably religiously driven Spanish Inquisition. Perhaps you purposefully hide your opinion of that one, obviously, because deep down you see it as the church simply doing it's righteous job, yes?

Well, uhhmmm... good thing such people as that are not ever going to get into power, huh? Because if so, God Help Us All, the blood of honest people will be flowing in the streets until we honest citizens who value freedom from enforced religion would justifiably "clean out the nest", so to speak.

But now, if you still want to paste me and my atheist friends with that "Evil Atheist Murderous Thug" label and concept, you'd best send me a sworn legal lawsuit, where we will then go to court, with all the media attention on you guys, and we'll legally and once-and-for-all shove such insipid and arrogant, not to mention insulting and deranged, comments back down your pie-hole where they are festering in your apparently mentally diseased and philosophically biased body.

So.. please... I beg you! Go for it. Or shush up with the unwarranted and pathologically incorrect accusations!

You should be seeking professional help, rather than wasting your time here on C-D spreading hatred with outright falsehoods. How VERY Christian, btw....
 
Old 02-17-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,621 posts, read 6,320,445 times
Reputation: 3617
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Repeating this lie does not make it true....Here is a little background on Stalin...

Stalin created a cult of personality in the Soviet Union around both himself and Lenin. Stalin became the focus of literature, poetry, music, paintings and film that exhibited fawning devotion. He was sometimes credited with almost god-like qualities, In a 1956 speech, Nikita Khrushchev denounced Stalin's cult of personality with these words: "It is impermissible and foreign to the spirit of Marxism-Leninism to elevate one person, to transform him into a superman possessing supernatural characteristics akin to those of a god.
Oh darn you, sans... reading between the lines like that, uncovering the true backgroubd. Didn't Sunday School teach you nuttin'?

Like: " NO thinking allowed in here. What do you kids think this is? Now, back to the pet dinosaur story, as it REALLY happened!"
 
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM
 
10,164 posts, read 4,447,623 times
Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
No, I wouldn't lock up someone in a furnace then torch them if they didn't follow and worship me. Where do you read that in the Bible that God would do that to anyone who didn't follow Him and worship Him?

P.S. you have to find a specific verse which says "I will cast into a furnace and torch anyone who does not follow and worship Me" or something close to that.

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
The god of the bible would send someone to burn for eternity because they didn't worship him. Dedicating my life to someone who makes Hitler look like Ghandi would be lunacy. The furnace example is an analogy to the christian belief that god will send someone to burn for all eternity because they didn't worship and praise him.
Saying so does not prove so. Please provide proof of your untennable statement above.
 
Old 02-17-2012, 01:10 PM
 
10,164 posts, read 4,447,623 times
Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I would feel "eternally damned" if I had to be subjected to the "love and salvation" of the god which Eusebius believes in.
No you wouldn't. Everyone really wants to be hugged and loved.

I think you mean: "I would feel "eternally damned" if I had to be subjected to the 'love and salvation' of the god which christendumb believe in."

The God I believe in is perfectly benevolent, loving, kind, compassionate, long suffering, Whose love never fails. He would be your best dad x a million.
 
Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 PM
 
10,164 posts, read 4,447,623 times
Reputation: 728
SeekerSA provided the link Bible Inconsistencies: Bible Contradictions?

There they stated the Bible contradicts itself by stating:

GE 1:26-27 Man and woman were created at the same time.
GE 2:7, 21-22 Man was created first, woman sometime later.

But there is really no contradiction.
Man originally created was hermaphrodite in which the femail was inside him. He was male/female. When God put him to sleep he took the female parts out of him and built Eve around them.

Again, no contradiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top