Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 09:56 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I've been reading and comparing ever since I joined this forum. This is where I learned how hypocritical atheists are.

Normally I would have said "some atheists", but I've learned from Ashe, that isn't necessary.
Sorry, I'm not going to take that just on your say so...Examples please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 06:48 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Default Christian Racism

This thread reminds me of some of my family members from the Carolinas. I won't go into any details.... Let's just say that theism and hatred towards inter-racial dating seems to go together. However, there are MANY folks who truly believe that a disapproval of an IR couple is NOT "racism". My argument to that is simple: If you judge a couple (and their children) by their skin colors rather than the contents of their characters, how is that not racism?

As for Christian America's racism, MLK said it best....

I must admit that I have gone through those moments when I was greatly disappointed with the church and what it has done in this period of social change. We must face the fact that in America, the church is still the most segregated major institution in America. At 11:00 on Sunday morning when we stand and sing and Christ has no east or west, we stand at the most segregated hour in this nation. This is tragic. Nobody of honesty can overlook this. Now, I'm sure that if the church had taken a stronger stand all along, we wouldn't have many of the problems that we have. The first way that the church can repent, the first way that it can move out into the arena of social reform is to remove the yoke of segregation from its own body. Now, I'm not saying that society must sit down and wait on a spiritual and moribund church as we've so often seen. I think it should have started in the church, but since it didn't start in the church, our society needed to move on. The church, itself, will stand under the judgement of God. Now that the mistake of the past has been made, I think that the opportunity of the future is to really go out and to transform American society, and where else is there a better place than in the institution that should serve as the moral guardian of the community. The institution that should preach brotherhood and make it a reality within its own body.
Questions & Answers - Dr. Martin Luther King's 1963 WMU Speech Found - Archives - WMU Libraries

^^^How much of this is still true nearly 50 years later? Things are certainly changing for the better, but we've got a long way to go.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:43 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
I think the map in red just shows the more conservative parts of America that align with the (not necessarily) right side of Christianity. Unless you live in the large cities like ATL, DFW and HOU, I think living in those places could irritate someone who was born and bred in a big city.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:55 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I think the map in red just shows the more conservative parts of America that align with the (not necessarily) right side of Christianity. Unless you live in the large cities like ATL, DFW and HOU, I think living in those places could irritate someone who was born and bred in a big city.
And right wing politics, also a mindset that aligns with fundamental christians.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:40 PM

694 posts, read 745,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No, it's not my opinion, it is factual and very ugly history.

I don't have a license to hate, but I have the responsibility to shine the light of truth on those that do practice myth based hatred, for the sole purpose of fulfilling their agenda of "gotta hate someone"
I am from Ohio and have lived in Tennessee since 1976. In the 70s and first half of the 80s, racism and bigotry was thick and noticable nearly everywhere. Many people here say they are Christians and use the words of Jesus to advance their racist and bigot views. You can't blame Christianity for this. Although, the Bible DOES say that homosexuality is sin, I have never found anything, that I remember, in the Bible that says anything negatively toward inter-racial relations. I am not saying it doesn't, only that I don't recall that it does. I, personally, don't think you are a hater, but remember to look at the person, not what or who they are.

Charles Sands

Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
I am from Ohio and have lived in Tennessee since 1976. In the 70s and first half of the 80s, racism and bigotry was thick and noticable nearly everywhere. Many people here say they are Christians and use the words of Jesus to advance their racist and bigot views. You can't blame Christianity for this. Although, the Bible DOES say that homosexuality is sin, I have never found anything, that I remember, in the Bible that says anything negatively toward inter-racial relations. I am not saying it doesn't, only that I don't recall that it does. I, personally, don't think you are a hater, but remember to look at the person, not what or who they are.

Charles Sands
Yet your bible is riddled with slavery. And when one a group enslaves another what is a common reason, differences in culture and race.

Now for the bolded part, your definition of whether they are actually or phoney christians is really moot, for they represent christianity by crowing about it, and use it as their authority for their hate. If 'true' christians (an unknown quality) were so incensed about the bad image the 'false' christians represent, why do 'true' ones not speak out in opposition the the 'false' ones?

Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Yet your bible is riddled with slavery. And when one a group enslaves another what is a common reason, differences in culture and race.

Now for the bolded part, your definition of whether they are actually or phoney christians is really moot, for they represent christianity by crowing about it, and use it as their authority for their hate. If 'true' christians (an unknown quality) were so incensed about the bad image the 'false' christians represent, why do 'true' ones not speak out in opposition the the 'false' ones?
Franklin Graham comes to mind. Why aren't they speaking out against this guy (and MANY others just like him)?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Franklin Graham comes to mind. Why aren't they speaking out against this guy (and MANY others just like him)?
Yep more of the pond scum of purveyors of hate and ignorance. This one has surfaced, more to follow.
Rev. Franklin Graham Questions Obama’s, Romney’s Christian Faith - Washington Wire - WSJ

Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
there will always by racism among church goers. just look at some of the churches, you have black churches, white churches, hispanic churches, etc.. and if you are in a new town looking for a new church you usually find one with "your people" in it. forget they type of teaching that goes on, as long as you are with your peoples you are home. it is sad but that is the way the majority of church goers are. tradition trumps truth

Old 02-24-2012, 10:32 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

I used to have a good book that compared on opposing pages how Bible verses were used to for and against different issues. For example, it would list the bible verses that were used to defend slavery and the bible verses used to oppose slavery. Same with homosexuality and other social issues.

I have no definition for "true" or "false" Christians, except that the ones who think THEY are true will naturally accuse people who don't agree with them as false, which will go nowhere. But I'm curious as to why you would try to put forth the idea that those who don't believe in the hate remain silent. The anti-slavery abolitionist movement before the Civil War was huge, and many of those people certainly claimed Christianity as their source for their beliefs. That still goes on today as the Christians who claim acceptance of homosexuality as in line with their beliefs certainly DO speak up about it, and do the same with other issues such as racism, sexism, and civil rights.

EDIT: I thought about this some more, and I do think that Christians should speak up more. However, I wonder if the idea of not spewing hate keeps them quieter and therefore the louder voices are what is most often heard. It probably would create tons of enjoyment for anti-Christians to see groups of Christians lining up to fight one another on opposing views, but some of us are sensitive to the fact that this has happened way too many times in history already!

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-24-2012 at 10:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality