Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:37 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Your not the only one! Persoanly, I'm tired of hearing about her, Gabriel Giffords, Michael Jackson, all of them. I wish it would just go away and we can get back to real life. Start reporting REAL news.
I agree.

I must admit that I have a great deal of respect for Giffords though. She was a victim, and had no control over what happened to her. The rest of them did. They chose to do stupid things that eventually led to their deaths.

It's sad that we have this much reverence for self destructive entertainers.

I feel for their families, but not for them.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:25 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
I've seen our military being honored often. I've seen our firefighters and police officers also being honored often.

I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging the death of a celebrity.

I am not sure if the flags at half staff are appropriate or not. I thought that was more for people who serve their country. That might be a bit over the top.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:27 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
@ OP and first poster.

Wow, judge much?

Addiction isn't exactly a "choice". Some people get there by making "stupid choices" along the way, but then they desperately try to kick the habit/addiction and it proves to be stronger than they are...

Last edited by looking4answers12; 02-17-2012 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: mistaken identity -_-

Old 02-17-2012, 05:51 AM

428 posts, read 486,965 times
Whitney Houston's singing voice and lyrics were powerful for many people. Nothing wrong with the governor wanting to express gratitude for this. It could have been done in a way that didn't offend the families of fallen soldiers, though.

From what I've read, this isn't the first time the governor's flown flags at half-mast for a musical star. He did it for a deceased member of Bruce Springsteen's band. (Where was the outrage then?) And he has been lowering the flag for every fallen soldier and police officer from New Jersey. I wonder if any other governors have done what he's been doing, flying the flag half-mast for cultural icons along with fallen soldiers and such?

Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 AM

6 posts, read 5,276 times
In my own opinion, it is really sad since she contributed much in the music industry of the whole world and unfortunately she is gone now.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:23 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Here we have a drug addicted pop star who, more than likely died from an overdose being honored in New Jersey. The governor has ordered that flags be flown at half mast.

Am I the only one here who finds this offensive?

Our fallen heroes, police, fire and military are seldom if ever given this respect even though they actually deserve it.

It's a sad commentary when we honor entertainers over true heroes.
I totally agree with you. The flags being flown at half mast are over the top as this woman or any singer or entertainer does not deserve that honor. The only exception I can think of would be if the entertainer were overseas entertaining troops and died as a result of showing their dedication to our country by putting their life on the line to entertain troops. "Hero" means very little in this country and the flag should not be used this way.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:52 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Honestly I don't understand why choosing to participate in war is so honorable. That said, I don't think it was her drug addiction people were honoring when they lowered flags for Whitney Houston. It was her singing talent. She was a human being, with strengths and weaknesses, like anyone else. Same is true of soldiers--they are human, with their own strengths and weaknesses too.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:11 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
I've never been a fan of her music but I think she touched many people's lives with her music. I think many are remembering her for the way her voice touched their lives. Not for who she was in her personal life as none of us her knew her personally so shouldn't disparage her for the type of person we thought she was.

On another note, to say or think that honoring Whitney Houston diminishes the sacrifice that our service men and women make for us does them a GREAT disservice.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Inappropriate thread for this forum.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-17-2012 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality