U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:41 AM

12,409 posts, read 15,066,211 times

Advertisements

As christians/believers, aren't we instructed to love one another as our selves? Imo that includes people of all beliefs, or lack of, and all people of different colors and cultures..There are athiests on this forum, whom some of us have come to love very much and have developed a great friendship with..The ones I have come to know are everything I would want in a neighbor and friend because they are generous, warm, funny and yes understanding and accepting of my beliefs..Have you got something positive to say about your athiest friend? Please keep this thread nice..There are other threads to vent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 10:45 AM

4,437 posts, read 6,007,530 times
I supposed I already knew not to judge someone personally based on their beliefs..but I'm glad others have learned positive things..

Old 09-06-2007, 10:56 AM

3,927 posts, read 5,750,828 times
Well, I for one would love to say something first and foremost. Some of the non believers ahem, one in particular can be so very STUBBORN...::: Yes, MTguy, I am talking about you....You get yourself to that doctor pronto and let him check out your back....cause your friends here miss your very thought provolking posts and miss your wit and charm.....

Whew, ok, now that is off my chest.

Guys, you know who you are, you have come to mean so very much to me and I want you to know how much I appreciate your friendship. As blue stated, you are kind, considerate and the very kind of people that truly know what friendship is all about. There is much more that I would love to say....but I think you know my heart...blessings to you (meant in a very loving and good way) aiangel

Old 09-06-2007, 10:57 AM

1,574 posts, read 3,260,604 times
I think MG and June are wonderful, kind, insightful people. They are certainly part of the family here! They may not believe what we do, but they are never disrespectful or rude.

I agree that we should love one another, but I also think we, as responsible Christians, need to be wise about who we choose to associate with. There's a difference between an unbeliever, and one who has an agenda to cast doubt in the minds of Christians and/or seekers. I won't be rude to those people, and I often pray for them, but I certainly won't make it my business to try and befriend them.

In my "real" life, I don't have any atheist friends. Not because I wouldn't. It's just worked out that way based on the places I go, and things I do with my time.

I do have many Jewish friends, friends who are "Christian" but don't practice their faith, and friends of different cultures or races.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:00 PM

8,640 posts, read 14,799,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
I think MG and June are wonderful, kind, insightful people. They are certainly part of the family here! They may not believe what we do, but they are never disrespectful or rude.

I agree that we should love one another, but I also think we, as responsible Christians, need to be wise about who we choose to associate with. There's a difference between an unbeliever, and one who has an agenda to cast doubt in the minds of Christians and/or seekers. I won't be rude to those people, and I often pray for them, but I certainly won't make it my business to try and befriend them.

In my "real" life, I don't have any atheist friends. Not because I wouldn't. It's just worked out that way based on the places I go, and things I do with my time.

I do have many Jewish friends, friends who are "Christian" but don't practice their faith, and friends of different cultures or races.
Ditto for me to about everything Ms.Charlotte said!

And yes, Montana, if your back is still bad, you need to see your doctor and/or my preference for that, a competent chiropractor! (Btw, I don't think it's just Montana or atheists that are stubborn about seeing a doctor! I think it's a male trait!)

Old 09-06-2007, 12:05 PM

2,798 posts, read 6,838,325 times
While on this forum I have seen people come and people go. I have met WONDERFUL people of all religions (and non-religions) that have really encouraged me and taught me more about who I am and why I believe the way I do and that I am NOT ALONE!

With that being said...Christian fellowship is very important in our walk with Him. We often need reaffirmation of what we believe and WHY we believe...however, I think I have probably learned more about LIFE from the Atheists/non-believers than I have in all my years! I have learned that so many of us are so caught up in our own little worlds and our own indoctrination, that we too often do not see outside the box!

We can learn so much from each other. All we need to do is open our eyes and our hearts and try to understand that we all come from different backgrounds. Some of us may have been Christians all our lives and have never known anything different. Some of the Atheists may have experienced things in their lives that CONVINCE them, there cannot be a God. Whether Christian or not, some of us may be jaded from past abuses or other happenings or mishaps in our lives....

BUT...the bottom line is this:
We are all human and feel completely JUSTIFIED in WHAT WE BELIEVE! While I would love to see some of our Atheist friends come to Christ, I am not here to try to convert anyone. If a seed has been planted...that is WONDERFUL! But I will NEVER EVER EVER stop being "friends" with anyone I have befriended here because they refuse to believe as I do!

I am honored that I have come to know some of you as well as I do! And THANK YOU for teaching me a little bit more about LIFE!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:56 PM

20,053 posts, read 21,063,773 times
I guess I have lived a sheltered kind of life because until city data I had never had any contact with an atheist. I think there is one way that they are like Christians, and this some are very kind and considerate like June and Montana Guy and others are rude, not much different from Christians in that area
We don't all have to believe the same way in order to be friends and care about each other.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:24 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,757,402 times
I didn't know MG had a back problem?? Hope you get better MG! Looking forward to seeing you post again soon.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:35 PM

2,136 posts, read 3,137,311 times
I have been thinking about this thread and I wanted to take the time to really state my genuine feelings. It seems that this thread may have started due to the fact that we finally got a “Christian” sub-forum. Maybe there’s some guilt in our hearts that we might be leaving our atheist friends behind. Well, isn’t that what the sub-forum was intended to do? Make a place for just Christians to convene? When the poll for the sub-forum was posted, I responded with a “no”. I understand the intention behind the sub-forum. We hope that it will give Christians a place to just sit and have a cup of coffee with fellow Christians and not be chastised by anti-Christian hate mongers. But I have a problem with the whole idea. You see, there is no litmus test that one can take to enter the forum, so how do you know who is there? And who is going to stand guard at the door to decide who is a “Christian”. By what standards will they be measured? There are many of you, at least a dozen, that I consider to be my friends…people that I would have over for dinner if you lived closer. People that I hope to maintain relationships with and hopefully one day meet. Some of these people are professed atheists. Six months ago, if you had asked me, “what is an atheist”? I would have told you that they are people who do not believe in a god, and certainly not my God. I probably would have presumed that they were immoral. As ridiculous as it sounds, I might have even equated them with Satanists. I would have certainly felt that their hearts were hardened with hate. But through this forum I have learned more about these people. Many of the ones I have met have moral values similar, if not actually greater, than mine. The reason I would suggest that their values surpass mine is because they have no accountability. At least not in the way that we (IMHO) see accountability. Their moral base is a standard that they feel is “right”; not one that they adhere to because they don’t want to spend eternity in Hell. I have found them to be genuinely good people. People who, aside from their lack of faith in my God, are just like me.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:02 PM

12,409 posts, read 15,066,211 times
For myself, I more or less just wanted a place where we could go, relax , talk about our faith, study some scripture and just talk about anything as a friendly group without someone butting in trying to troll,inflame or insult anyone, so I figured maybe the title of the subforum alone would keep those kinds of posters out..Most of us have no intention of shunning anyone..This is for all of us who are just tired of some of the bitterness going on in the parent forum. BTW, I don't think that any of we christian/believers are going to slam the door and lock it from the inside in the new christianity forum. Last time I was there I never even saw a door In fact I think some of us already need an analyst there..We have this one lady over there who keeps counting every body over and over, and over again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality