Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,374 times

Advertisements

...that had a physical disability, yet was not aware of the cruelty and unforgivableness of the world?

How often have we neglected the disabled? How many times have we thought of them as less of us?

A child in their innocence is unaware of how we can act towards one another and put the pursuit of our own pleasures over the welfare our people.

We fail to recoginize that we are also people and that as a people we will rise or we will fall.

While I understand that it is written that we cannot defy what is already decided as it is God's will that drives us, we can atleast hope to change our fate, but at the cost of destiny.

We must ask ourselves if what we have been doing will put us in the right direction? This is what will define our destiny.

So, my question is, how could you tell a child in this situation, that there is no God who loves them and even favors them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 08:50 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
So before I start, I do want to say that I do not have any children, disabled or otherwise, so this is purely hypothetical on my part.

I think, as an atheist, I would make sure my child knew they were loved and supported by their family. I don't believe that a deity makes them any more special. I believe that they have intrinsic value because of their humanity, because they are part of mankind, and because they are my child.

As they get older and as their understanding deepens, I would try to explain whatever disability they had to them, so that they understand why other people are different. I would want them to know that regardless of their disability, they are no less of a person, and have a right to be treated with respect and dignity.

Does this adequately address your question?
NoCapo

Old 02-17-2012, 09:11 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
What he said...^^

Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Some people believe in a god thing that lives in the sky, and this god likes to see suffering....... TAG, you're it.

That is NOT what I would say, but a wee bit of a sarcastic response to the absurdity of the OP's premise.

I assume the OP's premise that this is your child, or that of a close family member? Then I would tell them that I love them, and when they are old enough to understand and process the information provide factual information about their condition and why it may have occurred.

Foot Note*
Very interesting for a first post from a new member, perhaps the mods should check IP addresses to verify this is not a return repeat offender of multiple accounts holders. Mamitas, Yuma, Lucy, Yasoo is that you?

Last edited by Asheville Native; 02-17-2012 at 09:45 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
I think it would be harder for them to be taught that there is an all-powerful creator who allowed them to be disabled. Instead, teach them that all people are different, that you love and approve of them, and show them all the amazing things that people, both with and without disabilities, have done through the incredible power of human ingenuity and perseverance. Help them create goals to aspire to, not fairy tales.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:35 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
I have a disabled child and I tell him I love him...

Old 02-17-2012, 10:01 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Do you mean a guy like Nick Vujicic? Praying did him no good, but you would be hard pressed to find a more upbeat happy person in spite of his disabilities...(By the way he just got married a few days ago)
Nick Vujicic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No arms, No legs, No worries - Nick Vujicic - YouTube

Old 02-17-2012, 10:11 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaneCorso View Post
Are you only capable of loving those who love you back?

Even the tax collectors love you.

You assume too much.

Assume that you are wrong, what you should be asking yourself if God will allow a person to enter this world in that condition, what does that mean for the rest of us?

My heart goes out to a victim of this circumstance, and I know that God keeps them close.

Hope is very powerful. When you take hope away, you are essentially taking away their soul.
This is where I differ from you. I don't believe that a god is needed to have hope. I believe that demonstrating your own love toward someone is infinitely more valuable than talking about the love of an invisible god.

NoCapo

Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
So before I start, I do want to say that I do not have any children, disabled or otherwise, so this is purely hypothetical on my part.

I think, as an atheist, I would make sure my child knew they were loved and supported by their family. I don't believe that a deity makes them any more special. I believe that they have intrinsic value because of their humanity, because they are part of mankind, and because they are my child.

As they get older and as their understanding deepens, I would try to explain whatever disability they had to them, so that they understand why other people are different. I would want them to know that regardless of their disability, they are no less of a person, and have a right to be treated with respect and dignity.

Does this adequately address your question?
NoCapo
Same here

I have a 3-year-old nephew who was born with a genetic mutation that causes all kinds of health problems (deafness on one ear, visual impairment, eating disorder (used gavage for first 2 years, now lives off medical liquid nutrition), sleeping problems, automutilation (that stopped now fortunately), a pervasive development disorder, and minor deformations in his face (large ears, flat nose bridge, round eyes). His health is rather weak and he has seen more doctors in his three years of living than me in my entire life (I'm 22). He also has a problem with his heart, which is why the nearest hospital won't treat him because they think it's too risky. He has to travel more than two hours back and forth to go to a University hospital with more expertise. There is a team of 15 different experts working with him. Yet from the outside, he looks just like a normal kid (you don't really notice the minor facial deformations unless you pay attention to them) and this is why people tend to be very cruel and misunderstanding about him. He needs a very clear pattern and when this pattern is broken (when something unexpected happens) he gets extremely upset and starts yelling, kicking and throwing things around, which is not very convenient when you're in a supermarket My sister actually got kicked out of a supermarket once due to his behaviour. People walk up to her saying "why don't you discipline your child?" They are very judgmental and it will only get harder as he gets older. He used to get sympathy from people when he still had the probe in his nose, now people just assume he's a misbehaved child.

Anyway, I'll get to the point now My sister and her husband are atheists. I am fairly certain that they will simply explain to their son when he's old enough to understand it that his health problems are due to a genetic mutation and that none of that is his fault, it's an unfortunate but natural thing that happens to many people. I wonder what a religious person would say in this case though? "God knows you're suffering but He allowed it to happen anyway" doesn't sound very comforting to me.

This is a picture of my two nephews Nick (6) and Christiaan (3). Chris is on the right

Old 02-17-2012, 10:15 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I have a disabled child and I tell him I love him...
My oldest son is disabled, he has several neurological disorders.

When he noticed that he was different than my other children I sat him down and explained the concept of genetics to him. I told him that it wasn't really anyone's fault and that sometimes things just happen.

He understands that we all have different abilities, strengths and weaknesses but we're a family and we love and help each other.

Sure, people make fun of him at times but he has a great way of dealing with them. He forgives them because they don't know any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality