Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:02 AM

659 posts, read 1,371,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I have no problem whatsoever believing in a Creator. When I look at the world around me, indeed the universe, it amazes me that one could think that it all came about by chance. That being said, I also don't have a problem that our Creator could have used evolution as a means to start things up, (so to speak), and science is merely explaining it in different terms. I'll admit, I'm certainly no scientist, nor do I completely understand the theory of evolution. I just see no reason that creation and evolution necessarily have to be entirely separate from one another. But, that's just my opinion, which is worth about as much as everyone else's, on this subject.

Fair points if you just don't know and don't have the means to find out but it does raise an interesting question.

Why should the 'Creator' just happen by chance, who made him/her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 09:13 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,301,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Alpha..... we need to understand that people have different ways of looking at things.

Having faith is one thing. Living and experiencing life and all those good things of the earth should be able to give a sense of faith in a Supreme Being.

Having faith because of something that was read in a book, doesn't mean much to a lot of people. Words would not produce faith in someone with a skeptical mind. They need much more than the Word.

Dear Sola Scriptorists,
My faith in Jesus Christ, trumps my faith in the either of the creation accounts in Genesis.

Do you really want to get into that old worn out battle of dualing scripture?
Been there, done that. I assure you, that after hundreds of responses from the very best on boths sides of the issue, we will be right back to were we started.

I might start with 1 Col: 15-18, or maybe Rom 1: 20-23, but I will not engage
in that battle. I find it destructive to the body of Christ ( his church ).

We all could do much better, to start with what we agree on.

Last edited by Oakback; 09-07-2007 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: spelling, grammar AGAIN!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:16 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,855,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Dear Sola Scriptorists,
My faith in Jesus Christ, trumps my faith in the either of the creation accounts in Genesis.

Do you really want to get into that old worn out battle of dualing scripture?
Been there, done that. I assure you, that after hundreds of responses from the very best on boths sides of the issue, we will be right back to were we started.

I might start with 1 Col: 15-18, or maybe Rom 1: 20-23, but I will not engage
in that battle. I find it destructive to the body of Christ ( his church ).

We all you do much better to start with what we agree on.
Maybe I am confused Oakback, it wouldn't be the first time.

I'm not familiar with the Catholic Church and am not real sure exactly what 'sola scripture' even is.

So let me just ask this question and figure out if I misinterpreted your post:

Do you believe the Bible is the Word of God and, if so, do you believe it is true from cover to cover or just in certain areas?

Trying to understand.....

Old 09-07-2007, 09:18 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,258,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
Fair points if you just don't know and don't have the means to find out but it does raise an interesting question.

Why should the 'Creator' just happen by chance, who made him/her?

Originally posted in "who or what created God?" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Question: "Who created God? Where did God come from?"

Answer: The atheist Bertrand Russell wrote in his book "Why I am Not a Christian" that if it is true that all things need a cause then God must also need a cause. He concluded from this that if God needed a cause then God was not God (and if God is not God then of course there is no God). This was basically a slightly more sophisticated form of the childlike question, "Who made God?" Even a child knows that things do not come from nothing, so if God is a "something" then He must have a cause as well, right?

The question is tricky because it sneaks in the false assumption that God came from somewhere and then asks where that might be. The answer is that the question does not even make sense. It is like asking, "What does blue smell like?" Blue is not in the category of things that have odor, so the question itself is flawed. In the same way, God is not in the category of things that are created, or come into existence, or are caused. God is uncaused and uncreated - He simply exists.

How do we know this? Well, we know that from nothing, nothing comes. So if there was ever a time when there was absolutely nothing in existence then nothing would have ever come to exist. But things do exist. Therefore, since there could never have been absolutely nothing, something had to have always been existing. That ever-existing thing is what we call God.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:21 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,569,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
As a skeptic, evidence is the only thing that will ever change my mind.

I've read the KJV multiple times, and it didn't stir a single positive emotion in me.

That being said, I'm often told to 'read the bible, and the lord will warm your heart.'

It didn't work.
I know exactly what you mean. But I have been told repeatedly that I wasn't listening when god spoke to me and not truly "open" !

Old 09-07-2007, 09:24 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,120,784 times
Alpha... there's a piece of scripture, I have no idea where, where someone is questioning, and Jesus says something to the effect that "if you cannot believe in me, then believe in those things that are done in my name." that's not an exact quote, but it's the essence of that is meant.

So even if someone never ever saw a bible, unless he was also deaf and couldn't read, he would know that people follow the teachings of Jesus and he should be able to figure out what living those teachings mean.

A person should be able to see what Jesus can do in others. Sad to say, that doesn't always happen. Many Christians are indistinguishable from the non-Christian.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:26 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,855,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
So even if someone never ever saw a bible, unless he was also deaf and couldn't read, he would know that people follow the teachings of Jesus and he should be able to figure out what living those teachings mean.
So you think Oakback's unshakable faith in Christ Jesus is based on other peoples actions.

Can't wait for Oakback to weigh in on THAT!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Maybe I am confused Oakback, it wouldn't be the first time.

I'm not familiar with the Catholic Church and am not real sure exactly what 'sola scripture' even is.

So let me just ask this question and figure out if I misinterpreted your post:

Do you believe the Bible is the Word of God and, if so, do you believe it is true from cover to cover or just in certain areas?

Trying to understand.....
Don't quote me, but I'll give this a try

I believe that all of the approved canon,( even the protestant ) was inspired through the HOLY SPIRIT and is "worthy for instruction".

I also believe it is "true". I put that in quotes because it appears that many disagree about the meaning of the word. I do believe however, that one day we will all agree.

If scripture was simply literally true, what need would we have for the HOLY SPIRIT to help and guide us.

How would we know for example, were Cain's wife came from? ( sorry, that was a cheap shot )

Oh, sola scriptura. Means by scripture alone. This debate has been going on for centuries. (this is what we're doing now ) I'd highly recommend looking into it.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:39 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,194,490 times
In order for a theory to work ít needs to be true. In order for faith to work you only have to believe. It does not require faith for something to be true.

What is true is true, no matter what we believe.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
In order for a theory to work ít needs to be true. In order for faith to work you only have to believe. It does not require faith for something to be true.

What is true is true, no matter what we believe.

Ah, but I truely have faith that scripture is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality