Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 PM

337 posts, read 409,128 times

Advertisements

And I thought theists were the ones accused of making God in their image.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 03:55 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind over Chatter View Post
They did, what you are seeing now is that atheists can do a better job....It is a hypothetical premise ya know.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:09 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind over Chatter View Post
Funny thing is theirs is the petty, selfish, irrational, sadistic, genocidal megalomaniac, child raping, hatemongering, homophobic bigot. And a pretty incompetent UN-intelligent designer to boot.

Go figure.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:29 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Funny thing is theirs is the petty, selfish, irrational, sadistic, genocidal megalomaniac, child raping, hatemongering, homophobic bigot. And a pretty incompetent UN-intelligent designer to boot.

Go figure.
Well that's the way things were when the Abrahamic God was invented...This just illustrates how far humans have progressed for the better since then...We still have a ways to go, but we are getting there.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:36 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
The theists here have never once provided any solid proof or evidence for a god.

I believe, most atheists would hold a God to a higher standard to that which the theists do. Of course this God does not exist either but this is what I suspect we would find acceptable/logical.

• This god would communicate with everyone (on demand) and in an irrefutable manner.
  • There would be only one doctrine and only one "church."
  • There would be no need for theologians to explain stuff to us on his behalf.
  • When asked to perform a miracle, if it did not transpire, we would not be left guessing why.
  • This god would require no worship, perhaps reverence/respect.
  • This god would not be hung up on our sexuality.
  • This god would in fact deal with issues like famine and starvation in various parts of the world.
  • This god would not allow political leaders to milk/con us and enslave us to a system of usury.
  • Justice would be swift, logical and honourable.
  • Women would not be seen as 2nd rate citizens.
  • Of course this god would not have a devil with whom he plays cosmic chess using humans as pawns.
I am sure there are more, please add to the list.
Good points, I think you covered it pretty well. This should be the standards that ALL of us should hold for a god, not just the non-religious. I still can't believe I was ever a Christian, believing all that nonsense. It's all so clear to me now, thanks for including women's rights in that list.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Good points, I think you covered it pretty well. This should be the standards that ALL of us should hold for a god, not just the non-religious. I still can't believe I was ever a Christian, believing all that nonsense. It's all so clear to me now, thanks for including women's rights in that list.
You're welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeBlade View Post
Perhaps it is time to invent a NEW GOD. A modern, one that isn't all that creepy, ugly stuff the old one was.

Yes, I hereby create Godd - the one, the only TRUE god of the Universe.

More to follow - donations accepted, particulars to be provided.
Wrong approach, the god would not require your or anyone else's money, there are no theologians to fleece the ignorant, there are no ignorant.

See, anyone trying to fleece someone else, this god will know immediately and exact his judgement there and then. What that judgement would be I would not know but it would not be swallowing the person up by earthquake in a hissy fit.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:53 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
There are a great many Gods I'd worship if there was a good reason to believe in them, a reason that did not involve listening to phantom emotional tuggings which supposedly lead the believer in the right direction, or evidence that to some minds is not evidence, or evidence that would be widely defined as evidence, but takes so much searching to find that only a slim minority has found it, possibly none of whom are alive today.

One of these would be Huitzilopochtli, the hummingbird wizard of the Aztec gods, the gods of one of the most violent civilizations in the history of time.. As far as fictional characters go, Huitzilopochtli seems like a halfway decent character. Huitzilopochtli was neither all-knowing nor all powerful. Huitzilopochtli used the power gained from human sacrafices to battle the moon and stars and enable the sun to rise. Sacrafices weren't merely for the glory of the Gods, at least in Huitzilopochtli's case. They were for a purpose. However, I'd demand the condition that all sacraficees must be volunteers. Either there are enough volunteers, or the world ends. No forced sacrafices, even people unlikely to survive an illness or medical condition.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:53 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Sounds like this false god would be more of a control god than you would probably like also , which would make the critical look at the Living God we have a more desirable Than the one who would have us under his thumb.... See the Living God we have today is perfect and He already thought out all perfections than the false ideas of the world could ever make ....

Old 02-26-2012, 05:25 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Sounds like this false god would be more of a control god than you would probably like also , which would make the critical look at the Living God we have a more desirable Than the one who would have us under his thumb.... See the Living God we have today is perfect and He already thought out all perfections than the false ideas of the world could ever make ....
That's why monotheism is so popular...the idea of rightousness being beyond our primitive minds' abilities to concieve it. But yes, some gods would be better than others. One which doesn't require human sacrafices would be better. Prove it, and we'll be in business.

Last edited by Clintone; 02-26-2012 at 05:45 PM..

Old 02-26-2012, 05:45 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post

LOL, please.

Your "living god" is the biggest control freak yet devised by the mind of man.

Our "false god" (PROVE he doesn't exist!!!) is the polar opposite of your celestial dictator. Hell, he *loves* eating pork and doesn't give a rat's arse what goes on in your bedroom, or if you pick up sticks on Sundays...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality