Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:42 PM

17,745 posts, read 13,638,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy001 View Post
wow i can't believe how many of you are trying to prove their is no God. And by doing so proving your eternal demise. The truth is there is a God and He loves you and wants you to accept him and have eternal life. What can be better than that.
I would say being rational would be better than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 09:13 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,190,588 times
Quote:
wow i can't believe how many of you are trying to prove their is no God. And by doing so proving your eternal demise. The truth is there is a God and He loves you and wants you to accept him and have eternal life. What can be better than that.
What God? Atlaua of the Aztecs

Old 02-27-2012, 12:03 AM

33,518 posts, read 37,098,765 times
Quote:
Which god? pick one... Native American Gods D-I

Don't like those? How about these? List of Norse gods and goddesses - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe these one will suit you better... Greek Gods

These look nice... Gods and Goddesses

Now don't you feel silly believing in only one, when there are so many to choose from?

Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,181,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
No, to see that one only need read The Bible.

Pretty sad that we can come up with a better God that makes far more sense, huh?

Oh, and I'm not an atheist

I'm pretty sure God isn't an athiest either. I'll ask him for sure the next time I talk to him which will be in a few minutes as I'm saying my prayers when I go to bed and drifting off to wander the timbers of slumber. Filled with peace and tranquility knowing that the God I believe in watches over everyone, even those pesky athiest.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,612,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
You're welcome.
Honestly, that's all that needs to be said, ever. That and "thank you".

Old 02-27-2012, 12:30 AM

33,518 posts, read 37,098,765 times
Oh my, I see a few theists are getting a burr in their shorts over a hypothetical posed by one of us pesky atheists...Why would they even care what we do or don't believe if they have no doubts about their own faith? Personally I think that deep down they are terrified that they might be wrong about their god, and if they are then the rewards they hope for in the "afterlife" wither away.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,205,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iT4SoLuTioN View Post
Why dont you stop worrying about the fact that you think god should do everything for you. You whine and complain about all these things he should be, yet you hold yourself to lesser standards.
This fictitious god would be more believable than the ones being proffered about by theists. I am not whining, you seem to be. I hold myself to higher standards than any god man has invented in their own minds (more to follow)
Quote:
I bet you sin everyday voiding the chance that a GOD would ever want to perform all these tasks for you.
No I do not sin, you theists do project much don't you. I am sinless, I obey the laws of the land, never cheated on my wife been married 26 years (together nearly 29 years)

Yes I was intimate with about 30 lasses prior to meeting my wife but was even then a serial monogamist.
Quote:
Why do you allow yourselves to be enslaved by political leaders, why dont you goddamn humans take a stand for yourself.
We are slaves to the system as that is the way society has evolved. Little has changed from the times of aristocracy to what exists today.

South Africa probably has the youngest modern constitution and it works (only 17 years old) and why does it work? It is 100% secular devoid of any religious connotations.
Quote:
Actually respect GOD and maybe one day he will give you everything you require until then do it yourself
"Maybe" is not a good enough reason to believe in fantasy.

I expect no imaginary fella to do anything for me or anyone else for that matter because he is imaginary. He only exists in the minds of men.

I can rely on my fellow man better because he is real, sucking up to your boss even though you may detest him leads to positive results, better performance appraisals better increases (before the world economy tanked). Being kind to your fellow man brings rewards of mutual respect and tolerance and is the right thing to do devoid of any imaginary god edicts. Society operates this way over most of the world where the imaginary gods are relegated to their respective temples and form no part of the greater culture of the land and its laws.

Even your god has no bank account or assets and his priests/representatives need your donations to survive and exist, my employer or customer however has money to pay for my services.

The whole point of the OP was to show what attributes we atheists would consider a god to be respected would have. It is a higher standard than our own by virtue that there would be no inequality and that if anything needed fixing, he would do it likely w/o having to be begged to do it. Can your god fix anything w/o having to suck up first? The sucking up takes place and nothing happens, perhaps he has you on ignore?

Meanwhile back in reality, we all rely on the tangible things like medicine/science and the system to survive as very few of us till the lands or hunt and gather any more. This is the reality we live in.

The atheist god would really be in charge if it existed because the evidence of its existence would require no faith, it would be self apparent. It would be nice in magic could fix stuff we screw up but alas in the real world, magic is but an illusion.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:55 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,612,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iT4SoLuTioN View Post
I didnt say anyone that agrees with me is pure of heart now did i? I said those pure of heart correct? The pure of heart would agree none the less, but some who agree could also be deceiving your concious mind just like the antichrist in the night. Keep up with me now for you will never pass me
Moderator cut: deleted Where are you going with this?

Last edited by june 7th; 02-28-2012 at 02:45 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 AM

889 posts, read 824,531 times
Atheism = hopelessness and purposelessness. If that's the world you want, have at it. I CHOOSE something better.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:02 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,346,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Atheism = hopelessness and purposelessness. If that's the world you want, have at it. I CHOOSE something better.
Then you seem like an intelligent and open-minded person who understands that if we make-believe in things which probably don't exist, it can make us happier. Acknowledging that it's a choice, and not a judgement based on what seems to be, which is not a choice, means it probably isn't true. Obviously you don't allow your idealized beliefs to affect others in any way that would be negative for them if your idealized beliefs are not true.

Last edited by Clintone; 02-27-2012 at 08:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality