Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:06 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godservant View Post
just smile and wave. and continue along with enjoying your day. its jsut a thought that they have doesnt mean that you have to let it get to u. am just saying
they have the right to think waht they want jsut like the rest of us
Well, "they" would include me, and I think that they ought to work on bettering themselves rather than worry about me.

Apparently this bothers you?

Personally, if you don't try to force your views on me, I don't care what they are. They are meaningless to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 06:10 PM

322 posts, read 316,923 times
not bothering me at all , i just happend to come across your post and wanted to give my 2 cents. if you dont agree , thats perfectly fine with me . i still share waht i feel if thats ok

i guess we could spend more time bettering ourselves instead of worrying about them is all am saying

Old 02-24-2012, 06:16 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
I think it works in a much similar way for us with no religion.

I'll never be able to understand why anyone believes in such utter nonsense as Bible literalism. It's something I simply cannot believe exist in the year 2012 and yet it does.

There is one difference, though: I'm not going around trying to convert anyone or telling them they're going to a not-so-nice place in the future.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:50 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Just finished reading many of the thread title here and it occurred to me to ask:

Why do so many people seem unable to accept that some of us have no religion?

I am not simply speaking of stating there is no this or that, not disbelif, but simply not caring about any religion.

Comment?
The atheist has either been allowed to think, or has learned to think.

The theist is merely taught what to think, which doesn't amount to a through process, but recall and response by rote.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:03 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I fully agree with this post (and this is from the view of a crazy fundamentalist Jew). But your original question is a valid. I predict those that think you're going to hell and want to save your soul will not respond in this thread.
Just give them time, a representative will be with us shortly!

Old 02-25-2012, 12:04 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Just finished reading many of the thread title here and it occurred to me to ask:

Why do so many people seem unable to accept that some of us have no religion?

I am not simply speaking of stating there is no this or that, not disbelif, but simply not caring about any religion.

Comment?

Because they don't want to accept others as they are in general.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:54 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
It does seem hypocritical in a way, people who would cry the loudest if their freedom of religious choice was threatened usually end up being the greatest abusers of other's freedom as well.
Consider the financial aspect too. I have encountered this. For example, my wife and I earn in the top 15% of the income bracket. I am not bragging, I am just making a point. Churches want members who will "tithe" or donate 10% of their funds to them. COnsider that this "10%' from us would be equal to or more than what perhaps as many as 40% of Americans make, maybe as much as 50% depending on whose stats we use to determine it. So what I have encountered is Christian people who seem to really dislike me because I am a non-theist, but dislike me even more because they are not making any money off of me! IF we went and donated 10% of our money to a church, that would be more money in checks we write than many people even make !!!! think about that....and we are not doing it, and there are some evangelicals/fundies who I ahve met who cannot stand that. Why? because without money, money to pay the overpriced clergy salary, buy his car, pay his daughters private school tuition, pay for a bigger church or new choir robes etc etc without money the church can shut down !

Now yes I do donate money...apparently not enough becaue Istill owe taxes every April, but yes..I donate to education, to arts, to community food/service programs. Very little to religious organizations, and only for specifics like food assistance and such. People need to eat, I do my best to help them.
Other thing I have encountered is that many people who speak up the loudest are the most insecure. Deep down inside, they have serious doubts about their religion and those of us who are non-religious are living examples of what they may wish, deep down inside, that they could be. I am not saying anyone is better than anyone, but some of us live with a day-to-day freedom and enjoyment of life that they never will have because of their religious restrictions.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:09 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
The Real God: An Epiphany - YouTube

Old 02-25-2012, 11:04 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Because they wouldn't enjoy life if they were atheists... Or they see atheism as a radically ignorant belief.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:40 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
If they could set themselves free from their conditioning and peer pressure, perhaps they would enjoy being atheists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality