Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,332 times

Advertisements

my idea on all this is that god made evil to keep everything in balance, think about it, if there was no such thing as evil, then, if someone did something wrong, then what would define it, or would it happen at all... (now i bet your thinking, well, if there's no evil, then why would someone do something bad?) so, I think he made it so that there was some sort of balance in the universe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,106 times
Default The Riddle of Epicurus

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?

?? Maybe this "good vs. evil" duality is all in our minds?
BB

Old 03-07-2008, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,088 times
God did not create evil. Evil is just the abscence of some good that should be present. God has all the power to stop the evil in the world but he doesn't because he is respecting our free will.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:30 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,681,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubafeak View Post
God did not create evil. Evil is just the abscence of some good that should be present. God has all the power to stop the evil in the world but he doesn't because he is respecting our free will.
If he respected free will, he wouldn't send those who choose to use their free will and decide not to worship him to burn in hell.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:11 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,778,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I wanted to throw this out there before I went to bed. I'll check on the responses when I wake up this afternoon.

Why did God create Evil? And, no I am not talking about in humans. I am talking about the fact that God must have clearly created evil in heaven. For, if such an all-knowing, omnipotent being created Lucifer as well, than he must have surely known that Lucifer would in fact turn out the way that he did. So, if God created Lucifer than he must have created Evil knowing this well in advance, right? Kind of in the same sense that he knew Adam and Eve would take the plunge as well. So, I ask, if God is so loving and caring, why did he create evil in the first place?
Hello Dear One, I hope I can share some of my beliefs with you.

For everything created there is an opposite force. For instance the ying and yang symbol. Evil is another word for darkness. It is not created by God, rather it is God's opposing force. Lucifer rebelled against God, opposing God's plan and therefore was sent out of the Light into the Darkness.

The evil works of man or satan are works that are not in harmony with God's. Men and women have viewed these imbalances as bad and have labelled them "evil" the term has been recorded in numerous writings like the Bible and so on.

God does not recognize darkness because he is created of Light and the light shines through the darkness. The plan to save his children who are all asleep due to the split or the fall of Adam was to send his son Jesus and through his attonement and guide us back to God. Because the plan included us to keep our "free will" there is a universal law of free will where humans cannot be forced to make any decisions. Therefore they are free to choose and make decisions some of which we might label "evil".

The light of Christ lives in all humankind, he loves you very much and wants all children to come back to be with God. Just because you do not believe does not make you wrong. You may hear the voice of Christ much louder than some so-called Christians. What I am saying might stir some anger to the those who read. Be of a still heart and and loving countenance and you shall hear too. To force one's views onto another is to take away one's free will which is not in harmony with God. A puffed ego and a condeming demenour are of the ego, not of God.

Continue to search and the anwers you seek will reveal themselves to you. Condemnation and damnation are not of love, they are of fear. Remember God is love, the truth shall find those in search of it.

Love and Blessings

Old 03-08-2008, 12:31 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,570,080 times
Quote:
I wanted to throw this out there before I went to bed. I'll check on the responses when I wake up this afternoon.

Why did God create Evil? And, no I am not talking about in humans. I am talking about the fact that God must have clearly created evil in heaven. For, if such an all-knowing, omnipotent being created Lucifer as well, than he must have surely known that Lucifer would in fact turn out the way that he did. So, if God created Lucifer than he must have created Evil knowing this well in advance, right? Kind of in the same sense that he knew Adam and Eve would take the plunge as well. So, I ask, if God is so loving and caring, why did he create evil in the first place?
My own answer? Hell, I dont know. I think I have the answers to CERTAIN things, yet am humble enough to know I don't NEARLY know enough to answer others. This un' is one of them.

The question itself, assuming it is serious, acknowledges a belief in God. Because if not, then why ask? If so, then why did He? Answer your own question. USUALLY, unless a question is intended as insulting or condecending, then the person asking will provide the answer if all others give up. And I am sure you wouldn't be patronizing....

I await it. Many of us do, I am sure. Is this all a riddle?

Bottom line: Why DID He create evil in the first place? Pray (pun intended) tell us all!

Remember though, there is a huge difference in being clever and being wise.

Last edited by TexasReb; 03-08-2008 at 12:43 AM..

Old 03-08-2008, 12:45 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,443,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
My own answer? Hell, I dont know. I think I have the answers to CERTAIN things, yet am humble enough to know I don't NEARLY know enough to answer others. This un' is one of them.

The question itself, assuming it is serious, acknowledges a belief in God. Because it presumes there is an answer. If not, then why ask? If so, then why did HE? Answer your own question. USUALLY, unless a question is intended as insulting or condecending, then the person asking will provide the answer if all others give up.

I await it. Many of us do, I am sure. Is this all a riddle?

There is a huge difference in being clever and being wise.

Actually, if you go back and re-read the arguments you are correct in a lot of ways. For some reason, this thread never seems to die

When I originally posted it I wasn't trying to be condescending or rude but I was asking about the logistics behind it. Through multitudes of VERY lengthy posts I did concede that in order for me to argue the point I had to concede the proposition in the beginning that yes, I would have to give into the idea that God was real otherwise it becomes an argument of unfalsifiability in the reverse direction (my direction). That was a mistake on my behalf and I'm willing to admit it.

So, with all of that being said, I can't say that the answers make any semblance of reality to me in a logical way. I DO understand a little better why it is people think God 'made' Satan (Lucifer) but it doesn't make logical sense. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Old 03-08-2008, 12:52 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,570,080 times
Quote:
Actually, if you go back and re-read the arguments you are correct in a lot of ways. For some reason, this thread never seems to die

When I originally posted it I wasn't trying to be condescending or rude but I was asking about the logistics behind it. Through multitudes of VERY lengthy posts I did concede that in order for me to argue the point I had to concede the proposition in the beginning that yes, I would have to give into the idea that God was real otherwise it becomes an argument of unfalsifiability in the reverse direction (my direction). That was a mistake on my behalf and I'm willing to admit it.

So, with all of that being said, I can't say that the answers make any semblance of reality to me in a logical way. I DO understand a little better why it is people think God 'made' Satan (Lucifer) but it doesn't make logical sense. Do you see what I'm getting at?
At this point, I will agree to anything. I long for nothing else but hitting the sack and telling my other half that there really WAS a good reason for neglecting her this eveing!

LOL But seriously, you seem one of those who CAN see the other side if you choose to do so.

Ok..outta here. God Bless and take care!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,038 times
Talking answer to your question

okay ..the reason that god created evil was because he is not going to force anybody to love. They either love by own will, or not love at all. You know you wouldnt want a girl/guy to be with you just because she/he feels bad, rite? okay well god made evil because he wanted us to have a choice, therefore he also knew that satan /lucifer would try to deceive many people, in which he is accomplishing so far. okay well main point god gives us the option to be good. or be bad. Whatever you choose. not whatever he wants. At the end, when god comes, the battle between good and evil will go off. & god will take the good ones, that followed the bible the best way possible, because nobodys perfect but him. so everyone sins. just very differently. okay bye(: nice talk

Old 06-25-2008, 04:03 PM

90 posts, read 209,438 times
Why Did God Create Evil?

The Lord didn't. The Lord created Angles and Adam and Eve with free will. A third of the Angles long ago chose to turn away from a loving relationship with the Lord and are at war with him till this day. Adam and Eve made their chooses that plunged themselves and everyone else after them into sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality