U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 PM
 
3,449 posts, read 1,269,620 times
Reputation: 471
One interesting question would be...what is the value, of a gay marriage ?

 
Old 02-29-2012, 11:14 PM
 
16,311 posts, read 13,658,553 times
Reputation: 7946
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
One interesting question would be...what is the value, of a gay marriage ?
Two people that love and care for each other, a concept that really seems to be beyond your ability to comprehend because your mind is so filled with the hatred and ignorance of your own making. I pity you, for someone so filled with hate that reason and compassion are pushed aside must be utterly miserable in their own skin.

What is the value of your marriage that makes it superior to a gay marriage. You can produce children to teach your hate to so that we have another generation of bigots obsessed with venting their hate an ignorance on all they were taught to hate?
 
Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 PM
 
1,608 posts, read 2,106,435 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
For the Christians here that are opposed to Gay Marriage, I would like you to tell me why everyone should also oppose it, for valid reasons OTHER than religion. I just dont see your point. What does it hurt to let two people of the same sex get married? How does it have a negative impact on you as a Christian, on me, or society as a whole?

Marriage isn't only a religious institution, but also a gov't institution. So in otherwords, this should be a non issue considering that in this country, we have a separation of church and state and no religious doctrine or beliefs should have an impact on the laws of the gov't. I could see why you may fight it if getting married meant that you had to do it in a church, or have a religious ceremony but that isn't the case. So, if you are a Christian that opposes gay marriage, dont marry someone of the same sex. Simple right? Surely you recognize that not everyone is Christian, or is it your argument that marriage is ONLY a Christian institution and should be reserved only for Christians? Also, make sure that it stays out of YOUR church and doesn't impose on your first ammendment rights, but really, what would be wrong with the state recognizing that two people of the same sex are married?

You have the floor.......

Hi, I don't have the time, or the patience, to go through this whole thread in detail, but here's my thoughts.

1. There's more important things on the table than gay marriage. I'm more concerned with jobs, our crumbling infrastructure, and the myriad of ways in which we are destroying the environment.
2. Personally, as a Catholic, I don't think marriage is the government's business. I don't care what the government says, they are not God. To me, a marriage is when a man and a women are joined and become one before God. Two distinct halves becoming one whole.
3. As an American, I believe that I have the right to my belief's on marriage and you to yours, so let's not try and force them on each other, because that kinda sorta violates our constitution.
4. Since as far as I'm concerned the government's role in marriage is nothing beyond civil unions, gay or straight, I really don't care what they say or do. You want to call you're selves married and you want to go before God and pledge yourselves to each other, till death you part, then good for you. I might not approve, but it's not my place either.

I suppose what I'm really trying to say is, "How about I do my thing, you do yours, and since they don't really affect each other too much we just worry about more important things?"
 
Old 03-01-2012, 12:13 AM
 
Location: Ohio
8,120 posts, read 3,491,735 times
Reputation: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
3. As an American, I believe that I have the right to my belief's on marriage and you to yours, so let's not try and force them on each other, because that kinda sorta violates our constitution.
Dont think I could have said it any better myself.
 
Old 03-01-2012, 12:21 AM
 
701 posts, read 379,554 times
Reputation: 127
I am a Christian and I fully support equal rights for people of all stripes. My issue with gay marriage has to due with the redefinition of the word marriage. Marriage, for the last 6000 years has always been defined as a union between male and female. Clearly, gay marriage changes that definition. I don't agree with two people of the same sex having a sexually intimate relationship with each other, however I feel that they should have the freedom to make that choice if they so desire. I just don't agree that they should be able to change the definition of words as they see fit. I think that we are a society capable enough to write laws that would specifically give the same legal rights to gay couples that married (straight)couples have, without the need to redefine words. You don't give a square the same rights afforded to a triangle by calling the square a triangle. How about we coin a new word, "Gar•riage | noun | - the formal union of two persons typically recognized by law, by which they become spouse and spouse."
 
Old 03-01-2012, 12:31 AM
 
Location: Rocky Mountains
5,873 posts, read 4,258,753 times
Reputation: 5646
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Did you misunderstand the question? ... what is the value, of a gay marriage?

Can you make a list, that way we can find out if the employer health care issue has merit.
It has the same value as a hetero marriage. Why would they differ?
 
Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 AM
 
3,449 posts, read 1,269,620 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
It has the same value as a hetero marriage. Why would they differ?
A hetro marriage contributes to society by "producing...society

What exactly does a gay marriage produce? can you make a list?

where or what is the value?
 
Old 03-01-2012, 12:40 AM
 
701 posts, read 379,554 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Whereas with gay marriage, it will not affect anyone other than the ones who are getting married.
So, are you saying that their lives and actions will have zero influence on the lives around them? What if they want to adopt a child, and their is a straight couple who also wants to adopt that child, who should get the child all other things being equal? I am sure the gay couple would argue that they should have just as much right to adopt a child as the straight couple, however what about the childs right to have a mother AND father? I am not saying that gay people aren't loving or can't be loving parents, but I wonder how much value they place on the opposite sex. How much value does a lesbian couple, looking to adopt, place on the role of a father in a childs life? How much value does a gay couple place on a mother's role, in raising a child?
 
Old 03-01-2012, 12:55 AM
 
3,449 posts, read 1,269,620 times
Reputation: 471
If I have time tom , the employer gay marriage health costs re tax implications may be brought forward. This is what this issue is all about....$$$MONEY$$$....and the cost it would create re health care & employer-gay marriage. Way too much money....for nil-value return.
 
Old 03-01-2012, 06:15 AM
Status: "There are Crazy People on here!!!" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: 10 Years Later from ...
7,251 posts, read 4,705,919 times
Reputation: 2412
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
So, are you saying that their lives and actions will have zero influence on the lives around them? What if they want to adopt a child, and their is a straight couple who also wants to adopt that child, who should get the child all other things being equal? I am sure the gay couple would argue that they should have just as much right to adopt a child as the straight couple, however what about the childs right to have a mother AND father? I am not saying that gay people aren't loving or can't be loving parents, but I wonder how much value they place on the opposite sex. How much value does a lesbian couple, looking to adopt, place on the role of a father in a childs life? How much value does a gay couple place on a mother's role, in raising a child?
And what kind of relationship did that child come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top