Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 07:14 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
A hetro marriage contributes to society by "producing...society

What exactly does a gay marriage produce? can you make a list?

where or what is the value?
Ok ... producing...society. Now come up with your REAL reason for being against two persons that love each other and want to spend their lives together and attest to that fact by getting married and possibly adopting children.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:51 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
How does someone stealing your car have ANYTHING to do with Same Sex Marriage?

How are YOU affected by two persons of the same sex being married?
Actually the argument of false equivalence works in the favour of gays. Marriage is about property ownership and the like, it has nothing to do with sex.

Stealing of a car is governed by laws of ownership/property and as such stealing a car is illegal everywhere in the world. While a gay marriage is not about ownership of each other likewise with hetero couples. If it were more than property, you would not have the need for prenuptials and in lieu of them, common law comes into play that assets are divided equally in the case of a split.

You need not marry to reproduce/procreate.

The only reason marriage became a "religious institution" is that it was another way to fleece the flock and control them. In ancient cultures dowry was paid and marriages often arranged and there was no religious ceremony.

The whole argument from theists is moot as their beloved "till death do us part..." nonsense is overridden in most civilised countries by secular law and played out in a divorce court. The church does not have the final say of couples splitting or staying together and the fact that churches are willing to remarry divorced folk shows their obvious double standards.

When churches all fully renounce divorce and refuse to remarry divorced folk, then they may have a leg to stand on.

Glass houses, throwing stones and all....

Old 03-01-2012, 08:06 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
A hetro marriage contributes to society by "producing...society
Ehh no. Not everyone marries to produce children. There are married hetro couples who are incapable of producing children and there are no laws or issues against them marrying. What do they contribute to society?

Quote:
What exactly does a gay marriage produce? can you make a list?
Statistically they produce stable, longer lasting relationships and raise well adjusted, intelligent children.

One thing They DO NOT produce is unwanted children

Quote:
where or what is the value?
What is the value of two sterile hetros marrying?
What is the value of two elderly people marrying?

Perhaps the value is giving those people their right to pursue life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That pursuit isn't subject to your, my, or society's appraisal of its "value".

Your demands that their marriage has value to society reeks of social darwinism.

Last edited by QuixoticHobbit; 03-01-2012 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
What if they want to adopt a child...however what about the childs right to have a mother AND father?
When did it become anyone's "right" to have a mother AND father? There are how many millions of kids raised by single parents; what about their "rights"? Are they all going to sue their single parents because their "rights" have not been granted? Can they petition the state to provide a replacement parent to fulfill those "rights"?

Old 03-01-2012, 08:09 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
And what kind of relationship did that child come from?
The same "relationship" that a barren/sterile straight couple's adopted children came from:

One who's parents didn't love or couldn't care for the child, obviously...

Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
2. Personally, as a Catholic, I don't think marriage is the government's business. I don't care what the government says, they are not God. To me, a marriage is when a man and a women are joined and become one before God.
The irony being, that even though I am an athiest, I can still get married, but as a gay man, I cannot, even if I was a true believer.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:17 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
How does someone stealing your car have ANYTHING to do with Same Sex Marriage?

How are YOU affected by two persons of the same sex being married?
It is about the idea of what's right and what's wrong, that is the relation.

I've already explained my view as to why I'm affected, look at my previous posts.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:21 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
The same "relationship" that a barren/sterile straight couple's adopted children came from:

One who's parents didn't love or couldn't care for the child, obviously...
The point is children do not come from homosexual relationships. Children come from A heterosexual relationship. It doesn't matter if there are some that are barren or whatever, there is not a single homosexual relationship that is capable of producing a child without involving the opposite sex.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Children come from A heterosexual relationship.
Children might also come from donated sperm or egg cells, which is hardly a "relationship". And the offspring of such donation could be raised by either a heterosexual or homosexual couple, or even by a single person. The "relationship" is not a necessity.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:40 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
People, people, people!!! There have been so many off topic, deleted posts in this thread that June couldn't even get to them all. PLEASE, out of respect to the OP, keep it on topic! For those who need a reminder, here is the OP:

Quote:
For the Christians here that are opposed to Gay Marriage, I would like you to tell me why everyone should also oppose it, for valid reasons OTHER than religion. I just dont see your point. What does it hurt to let two people of the same sex get married? How does it have a negative impact on you as a Christian, on me, or society as a whole?

Marriage isn't only a religious institution, but also a gov't institution. So in otherwords, this should be a non issue considering that in this country, we have a separation of church and state and no religious doctrine or beliefs should have an impact on the laws of the gov't. I could see why you may fight it if getting married meant that you had to do it in a church, or have a religious ceremony but that isn't the case. So, if you are a Christian that opposes gay marriage, dont marry someone of the same sex. Simple right? Surely you recognize that not everyone is Christian, or is it your argument that marriage is ONLY a Christian institution and should be reserved only for Christians? Also, make sure that it stays out of YOUR church and doesn't impose on your first ammendment rights, but really, what would be wrong with the state recognizing that two people of the same sex are married?

You have the floor.......
June does not want to have to close this thread, and sees no reason to have to. So let's keep it on topic!

Thanks!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.