Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 02:37 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
When I was about three years old, I had a "GOD IS" moment while I was all alone. I was overwhelmed with the sudden thought of "how can we be"? How can anything be? It was a mind-blowing contemplation (especially for a three year old). And at that early age, I realized that because "I AM" - that "GOD IS". I still feel just as awed by my own existence and the life force that exists all around us in nature. I know this is not "Proof" for those who are not awed by the reality of life. But it is all I need to believe that there is something great and powerful and far beyond my ability to comprehend.
An atheist can also be awed by the reality of life and feel that there is something great and powerful and far beyond the ability to comprehend.

It's called the universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 02:38 PM

278 posts, read 357,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
We are made of the earthly elements which are also made of star dust. The heavy metals in the earth would not be here without having been forged in the immense heat of stars. This however does not explain the spiritual part of humanity which is not made of tangible substance.
Is there any evidence of this spiritual part of humanity?

Old 03-04-2012, 02:44 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distraff View Post
Is there any evidence of this spiritual part of humanity?
All the content of this forum is spiritual in form . . . consciousness . . . not physical.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
All the content of this forum is spiritual in form . . . consciousness . . . not physical.
I don't see any evidence for there being a spirit, it likely only exists in metaphor.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I don't see any evidence for there being a spirit, it likely only exists in metaphor.
What form is consciousness in, then?

Old 03-04-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I am not sure.

However the spirit idea has its roots in mythology and is very likely erroneous just like the rest of mythology, at least in my opinion. But I wouldn't say that it has been proven wrong. Religions would have to be more specific in their definitions of a spirit to be testable.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I am not sure.
Then how can you dismiss it as evidence of Spirit since it has no measurable "substance."

Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Then how can you dismiss it as evidence of Spirit since it has no measurable "substance."
We actually don't know if consciousness isn't physical. We just don't know enough about the brain to make that judgment. We hardly even know what conscious IS, much less make claims about its "substance". To say that consciousness is composed of something invisible in another realm is in my opinion making a claim which cannot possibly be supported.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:57 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,635 times
Quote:
I am simply not ready to believe that the entire world is a simulation and a fake simply because particles act differently when observed. There are many other ways to interpret the data.
Your bias is showing.

Aside from that, please do share what the other ways to interpret the data are that explain it.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:12 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,635 times
Quote:
Perhaps . . . but your use of the word simulation conjures up too strong an aura of artificiality (and Matrix or computer geek fantasy) that is unacceptable to me.
It being unacceptable to you doesn't mean it isn't the way things are.

Quote:
Our reality is very real. It is our perceptions of it that are "simulated."
Actually, I think the opposite is true. Our reality is simulated, but our experiences are real.

Quote:
According to Helmholtz, time is the only feature of our perceptions which is shared by both physical reality and our consciousness.
Time is an illusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality