Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 03:30 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,314,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Actually evolution doesn't require death, it merely requires reproduction. Of course death does make the process a bit easier by allowing room and resources for subsequent generations on our limited planet. But, if life forms were immortal (and we had unlimited space and food etc) evolution would still occur, it's just that all the generations of transitional forms (and their subsequent branches) would exist together.

In my mind an absence of death negated the need for reproduction. I didn't write out my thoughts very well, I always make the mistake of thinking I don't need to spell out every little thing that I'm thinking. But hey, it was 3am when I wrote that so give a girl a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 07:32 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
That is just not true looking. I and most other atheists/agnostics were once religious, but were convinced that we were wrong, and on the other side if the coin people are constantly converting from one religion to another in their search for god...Even the odd atheist changes his/her non belief.
You must know that there are several people on this very forum that have made such changes since joining. Do you really think the discussions here had nothing to do with it?

Which part isn't true?
How many atheists go back to being theists?
Yes, I do realize that some, or many atheists once believed.
I supposed I was thinking of it one way and not the other. (if that makes sense) Too tired to try to be more clear right now. I'm not even sure why I'm here!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:35 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
1. The idea that the Universe "just came to be" So much for cause and effect. Logic out the window.

2. Confronting the theist who has experienced the power of God with "logic". Logic that tries to negate one's life experience. (good luck)

OK here's the deal. Until you can prove that the Universe "just happened" and can prove that the power of God's effects in one's life are just vapor, you really won't convince any theist that your POV is a correct reflection of reality.

My tip.

I don't see it really IN MY OPINION.........there is a GOD there is no problem.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:19 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,259 times
Chaos only resides where there is error of principle rules...once the rules are put into play, and all is fulfilled...Chaos becomes order by process of elimination....As Chaos holds, eventual collisions, accedentals, and mayham in all directions...those things eventually take out other things in chaos...and so on and so forth over time...until the rule of principle becomes known..and done by those who preceive and preside over the chaos.....So once chaos become great, that would be its final death throughs...then it would all collide...and then extinction of the chaotic states of mind become renewed in ordered Principles....Then the Kingdom of God...as those principle rules stay the same throughout time and space....It just takes a long time for Humans to comply....but eventually they will have to...or it all goes to moot....and that would tarnish the human intelligence proclaimation.....can't have that now can we?...or have I spoken too soon?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
Chaos only resides where there is error of principle rules...once the rules are put into play, and all is fulfilled...Chaos becomes order by process of elimination....As Chaos holds, eventual collisions, accedentals, and mayham in all directions...those things eventually take out other things in chaos...and so on and so forth over time...until the rule of principle becomes known..and done by those who preceive and preside over the chaos.....So once chaos become great, that would be its final death throughs...then it would all collide...and then extinction of the chaotic states of mind become renewed in ordered Principles....Then the Kingdom of God...as those principle rules stay the same throughout time and space....It just takes a long time for Humans to comply....but eventually they will have to...or it all goes to moot....and that would tarnish the human intelligence proclaimation.....can't have that now can we?...or have I spoken too soon?
Could you try this post again in English when you haven't been smoking the plants God provided for you?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:52 PM

278 posts, read 357,570 times
Quote:
1. The idea that the Universe "just came to be" So much for cause and effect. Logic out the window.

2. Confronting the theist who has experienced the power of God with "logic". Logic that tries to negate one's life experience. (good luck)

OK here's the deal. Until you can prove that the Universe "just happened" and can prove that the power of God's effects in one's life are just vapor, you really won't convince any theist that your POV is a correct reflection of reality.

My tip.
There is a chance that the universe came to be because so far quantum mechanics shows particles popping into and out of existence in a random way. I have serious doubt about this though, because they might be popping from another "place" into this universe or visa versa. We humans make assumptions about the universe which are not necessarily true, and strict causality may be one of those assumptions.

The universe can also be explained with the argument that it existed forever, or that it was created by something outside space-time. So there are really three ways the universe can be explained without God.

The life experience of most theists is actually very weak. It is mostly strong emotions of happiness, a burning feeling, a feeling of knowing, a feeling of love, a feeling of joy, a feeling that things will be all right, etc. However we would expect these feeling if their religions were not true. Emotions toward things you are passionate can actually be explained without the supernatural very easily.

Sometimes theists will interpret the supernatural from good luck and coincidence. Again, this easily happens without the supernatural.

I do understand that it may be very hard to for theists to think logically about experiences that are highly emotional, but many theists have had very weak emotional experiences with religion.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:13 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distraff View Post

The universe can also be explained with the argument that it existed forever, or that it was created by something outside space-time. So there are really three ways the universe can be explained without God.

Explaining something does not make it true. Explaining can be nothing more than conjecture mixed with opinion.

OTOH the bolded portion of your post is what God is about. Something outside of space-time.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:25 PM

278 posts, read 357,570 times
Quote:
Explaining something does not make it true. Explaining can be nothing more than conjecture mixed with opinion.

OTOH the bolded portion of your post is what God is about. Something outside of space-time.
Correct, so we really don't know what started the universe, we only have possibilities. What do you think that says about theism?

Old 03-03-2012, 12:24 AM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Could you try this post again in English when you haven't been smoking the plants God provided for you?
LOL, good luck with that...I have given up trying decipher his posts long ago.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:31 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Ah! Just like the Universe then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality