Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:07 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

This is a good an illustration as I could find that demonstrates how we humans are really all related...I really do feel that we are all brothers and sisters....Even if there are a few black sheep in the family.

JOURNEY OF MANKIND - The Peopling of the World
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 10:44 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Thanks, June...I'll try to behave...
'Atta boy!

Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I was thinking that one thing we all have in common is we all believe all of us are related. Literal believers in the Old Testament believe each of us can trace our ancestry back to Adam and Eve. Skeptical atheists and agnostics believe all of us are related because we descended from the original homo sapiens. And if I am not mistaken, Native American religions, Hindu, Buddhists, Taoists, Wiccans, etc, all believe we are related. Can anyone think of an exception to that statement?
Yes, but I don't want to comment until I get my facts straight. However, I will say in very general terms that there are aboriginal tribal groups whose mythology contradicts that. Their mythology says that the gods or some other beings created all the different peoples, so there was no "Adam and Eve."

I find that fascinating. If you have never seen a person with different skin tones, then how could you possibly know they exist? If you have never seen someone with white hair or red hair, or you have never seen someone with facial hair, how could you possibly know they exist?

Quote:
Do you feel your heart soften when you ponder upon the idea that we are all from the same family?
No, because the evidence doesn't support any conclusion that we are. Even if it did, it wouldn't change my view.

Quote:
Or, are you indifferent?
To what?

I can help a few people; I can even save a few people; but I cannot save the world.

Quote:
Do you feel closer to others, or the same? Are you more interested in exotic cultures when you focus on how you are related to the people in that foriegn land, or are you the same as usual or even apathetic?
No, but I'm well traveled. I like traveling and other cultures.

Relating...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
My sister and I just participated in National Geographic's Genogrphic Project and were able to trace our lineage on our mother's side back to Scientific Eve (aka Mitichondrial Eve), who lived on the eastern side of Africa about 170,000 years ago. We followed it up through Saudi Arabia and into the Eastern Mediterranean , then across the Causasus region of Western Eurasia. We learned that people of our clan are still found around the Red Sea and in Iran! Talk about making you feel connected!
I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

Not gambling...

Mircea

Quote:
Geneticists have concluded that every person on Earth right now can trace his or her lineage back to a single common female ancestor who lived around 200,000 years ago, mitochondrial eve, so I guess we ARE all related, but going back farther in time all life on earth is related.
Quote:
Originally the entire human race evolved in Africa, so I think actually the minor differences, skin color, eye shape and color do not, at least to me mean that there are different "races". We all belong to the human race.
That isn't quite true.

Richard Leakey gave Wilson every opportunity to prove his claims of Eve and Wilson failed.

Steven O'Brien doesn't buy into it either. According to him, the rate of mutation was miscalculated; Wilson failed to consider that some mtDNA might have been lost; crisis events affecting a particular population could skew the results; Natural Selection might have favored some mtDNA variants; and any number of other possibilities could skew the conclusions as well.

There are many others who follow a multi-regional view like me.

The evidence is growing into an approaching storm. For example, Melanesians debunk the Out-of-Africa and Eve Theories. The new "Denosovan" group also refutes Out-of-Africa and Eve.

More evidence will be found and as technology improves, it greatly improve the picture.

The story so far is that there were five separate groups. Two groups in Africa, one in Europe and two in Asia. One of the African groups migrated at least twice and interbred with the Euro-group and one of the Asian groups, but not the 2nd Asian group. Then later there was another migration out of Africa by the group that had previously left.

The two African groups are not related. When all is said and done, I think you will find that the one group is now the Bedouin, Kalahari, several other small groups, and part of the aboriginal tribes in eastern US.

There's a book I haven't read, but it's called The Runaway Brain that debunks the Eve theory and supports multi-regionalism.

A lot of the evidence supports O'Briens claims, which are that instead of a single Eve, there was more than one Eve, which is something Wilson and Cann didn't consider (and Cann skewed the data to ignore that possibility).

Paleo-logically...

Mircea

Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Quote:
My sister and I just participated in National Geographic's Genogrphic Project and were able to trace our lineage on our mother's side back to Scientific Eve (aka Mitichondrial Eve), who lived on the eastern side of Africa about 170,000 years ago. We followed it up through Saudi Arabia and into the Eastern Mediterranean , then across the Causasus region of Western Eurasia. We learned that people of our clan are still found around the Red Sea and in Iran! Talk about making you feel connected!
Cousin!

That must have been an amazing thing to be a part of! You're so lucky.

It's one thing to be able to trace your family back on paper, i've made it back to the 1490's on my father's side and much farther on my mother's side. All well and good but, to do what you were able to do, i'm envious and in awe!

Old 03-03-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yes, but I don't want to comment until I get my facts straight. However, I will say in very general terms that there are aboriginal tribal groups whose mythology contradicts that. Their mythology says that the gods or some other beings created all the different peoples, so there was no "Adam and Eve."

I find that fascinating. If you have never seen a person with different skin tones, then how could you possibly know they exist? If you have never seen someone with white hair or red hair, or you have never seen someone with facial hair, how could you possibly know they exist?

No, because the evidence doesn't support any conclusion that we are. Even if it did, it wouldn't change my view.

To what?

I can help a few people; I can even save a few people; but I cannot save the world.

No, but I'm well traveled. I like traveling and other cultures.

Relating...

Mircea

I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

Not gambling...

Mircea

That isn't quite true.

Richard Leakey gave Wilson every opportunity to prove his claims of Eve and Wilson failed.

Steven O'Brien doesn't buy into it either. According to him, the rate of mutation was miscalculated; Wilson failed to consider that some mtDNA might have been lost; crisis events affecting a particular population could skew the results; Natural Selection might have favored some mtDNA variants; and any number of other possibilities could skew the conclusions as well.

There are many others who follow a multi-regional view like me.

The evidence is growing into an approaching storm. For example, Melanesians debunk the Out-of-Africa and Eve Theories. The new "Denosovan" group also refutes Out-of-Africa and Eve.

More evidence will be found and as technology improves, it greatly improve the picture.

The story so far is that there were five separate groups. Two groups in Africa, one in Europe and two in Asia. One of the African groups migrated at least twice and interbred with the Euro-group and one of the Asian groups, but not the 2nd Asian group. Then later there was another migration out of Africa by the group that had previously left.

The two African groups are not related. When all is said and done, I think you will find that the one group is now the Bedouin, Kalahari, several other small groups, and part of the aboriginal tribes in eastern US.

There's a book I haven't read, but it's called The Runaway Brain that debunks the Eve theory and supports multi-regionalism.

A lot of the evidence supports O'Briens claims, which are that instead of a single Eve, there was more than one Eve, which is something Wilson and Cann didn't consider (and Cann skewed the data to ignore that possibility).

Paleo-logically...

Mircea
Sorry, but I have to go with mainstream science on this one and believe that we are all related, but here is a link you may find of interest... Scientists sequence whole genome of 'Denisovan' caveman from fossilised finger bone in Siberian cave | Mail Online

Old 03-03-2012, 12:39 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Good stuff, and easily proven too!

Quote:
This is a good an illustration as I could find that demonstrates how we humans are really all related...I really do feel that we are all brothers and sisters....Even if there are a few black sheep in the family.

JOURNEY OF MANKIND - The Peopling of the World
Wow! Great presentation! Thx! REps if'n I could!

Old 03-03-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Wow! Great presentation! Thx! REps if'n I could!
Did you read the text? If not click the book icon...Lots of info there.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:27 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Cousin!

That must have been an amazing thing to be a part of! You're so lucky.

It's one thing to be able to trace your family back on paper, i've made it back to the 1490's on my father's side and much farther on my mother's side. All well and good but, to do what you were able to do, i'm envious and in awe!
Don't be envious and in awe. Instead, be part of it. Check out the National Geographic Genogrphic Project. It only costs $100 to participate.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:14 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Quote:
Don't be envious and in awe. Instead, be part of it. Check out the National Geographic Genogrphic Project. It only costs $100 to participate.
Really?

That's something our family will have to do.

Thank you so much for the info.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
My creation story obviates the fact that we are all related. Most Native American creations stories are very local to a specific people. In fact, most traditional folk religions are like that. Many other religions simply have no doctrine teaching about the relatedness of people.

That does not mean I don't believe people are related, I do. Because of science and my own experience with diverse peoples. I wouldn't look to any religion for a comprehensive humanist philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality