Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times

Advertisements

First, we have this predictable blatant "Ridiculosity" (to borrow, with modifications and thus apologies, to Bill Maher..):

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
See there are no other planets in scripture where there is life apart from the lone earth , as we are the only planet that has life in all the vastness of the space realm, and there is only one Jesus , and aliens of other planets are science fiction, and the aliens who people witness are fallen angel and demonic dark spirit that are stuck on the earth by the power of the Lord God and the Only living God ......
To which my pal Mystic has the best one word response (& a truly appropo emoticon..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
.::Sigh::
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Since my understanding of the role fear* played in our spiritual evolution involves It bringing the Holy Spirit of God (God's consciousness) into the human species' consciousness . . . it is entirely reasonable to suppose that other species with consciousness would need someone of their species to do the same.

fear* = fear of everything that mankind did not yet understand, disease, death, weather, the sun traversing the sky, etc..
Oh no!!!! Asheville........I take it...oh wait... I see just now where you placed that roll-eyes emoticon there! Thank God!!!; I thought I was going to have to fly in and do an Intervention...

Anyhow, you may well be right, AN: they may well have mutually invented their own intermediary (i.e.: go-between) prophet that reached down to the wide-eyed awe-struck viewpoint of the Sci-Illit. audience who mis-interprets the ominous commentary from a low-ƒ register God-voice (that Booming only the theists hear, mis-interpreting sonic booms, distant thunder, a hole-shot running Yenko-modded Camaro 427 []HowStuffWorks "1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1: A Profile of a Muscle Car") etc.

They truly need someone to re-voice it into "Illitanese"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If there is other intelligent life in the universe which thinks the way humans do, then I'm fairly sure many of them also believe that God has come to their planets as well.

There could very well be billions upon billions of Jesuses in the universe.
Ah yes. I know you're only speculatin' here, BC, but you illustrate very well where we see the trouble with trying to carry the truly unlikely and illogical into it's ultimate consequences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Wouldn't it be a hoot if some of our future space explorers visited a planet and found them about ready to crucufy their Jesus?

We could plead with them not to do it. Do you think they would listen?
Now That, hiker, is truly insightful. And no, if God & Son(s) have perpetrated their power-myth on others, they will have only been successful if they find some more "barely out of the cave" types, such as they did find here!

No doubt back when they cruised into our atmosphere and landscapes to check out our illiterate and spiritual gullibility, they also checked on the Chinese & Japanese and saw converting that group would have been a totally lost cause; too logical, too bright and too well documented. Best to go for half-starved, permanently brain-dehydrated & sun-baked, magic 'shroom eating goatherds in obviously permanent and desperate need of some moral and, heck; even some food-finding (water into wine & bread?) guidance and promises.

I have to conclude that, if there truly is as unlikely a character as the prophet Jesus, then, yep; in all probability, He is always flitting about in His Yenko-built Warp-Drive L81 alloy-engined Camaro Convertible with a really big Day-Timer carrying a whole big ol' lot of scribbled-in crucifixion appointments in it...

Had-tah get outa that rock tomb, quick-like, to get back into His Busy Schedule™....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 11:01 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
half-starved, permanently brain-dehydrated & sun-baked, magic 'shroom eating goatherds
Now I know who you are, Rifleman. You are Spiro Agnew's former speechwriter.

No one else could have thought up those words.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:18 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Amusing theories all!

Personally, i'm beginning to think Earth just might be the lunatic asylum for the multiverse.

~OR~

We're just something that got shoved way back in the celestial fridge and the supreme being that so many are terrified of is the cleaning lady.

Ya just never know

Old 03-05-2012, 11:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since my understanding of the role Jesus played in our spiritual evolution involves His bringing the Holy Spirit of God (God's consciousness) into the human species' consciousness . . . it is entirely reasonable to suppose that other species with consciousness would need someone of their species to do the same.

Definitely a possibility. I do believe in God, but IMHO it's ridiculous to think that in this vast universe that we are the only life forms out there!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-O_fZN0H6mB...us-cartoon.jpg

Quote:
Seeker, that is absolutely the funniest thing I have seen in a long, long time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Amusing theories all!
Ya just never know
LOL. I could not agree more, Pam and hiker . . . but it is likely to be true . . . minus the crucifixion. Our particularly barbaric and savage primate species (having to be culled at least once . . . if not repeatedly . . . all those homo X-agenses) would suggest the outcome was not required but unavoidable. As long as we are "spekulatin'" as my friend rifle would say.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
This is a really cool graphic showing the size of the universe-

The Scale of the Universe

(just be patient and wait for the ad to finish, then use your mouse to scroll the bar at the bottom of the screen left and right)

I also like this one, too. It is a bit more low tech, though: The Size of Our World

Old 03-05-2012, 09:56 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,200 times
Quote:
I assume you believe that your god also takes care of intelligent life on other planets in the Universe.

But who takes the place of Jesus on those planets? Did our version of Jesus also live on those planets to give them salvation, or do they have their own version of Jesus?

What if those civilizations are much, much more advanced than ours and became intelligent millions of years ago? Do you think their Jesus also lived millions of years ago? If so, they sure have been waiting a long time for their Rapture.
What if salvation is not the only option? What if it is only an Earth thing?

I take more of a classical Roman view, that of the genus loci. I assume other planets will have their own gods, their own form of religion, or lack thereof.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I also like this one, too. It is a bit more low tech, though: The Size of Our World
I couldn't get the first one to work, but I thought this one showing the size of the earth compared to other objects was very interesting.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:19 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,051,546 times
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5028/powersoftwo2.png (broken link)
By em3ryguy at 2012-02-25

Old 03-05-2012, 10:56 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Sapient, free will life on other planets capable of reaching heaven, would make the concept of a single savior a bit unrealistic. As the material universe will end long before knowledge of such reaches every planet potentially possible. Many stars along with their adjacent planets have come to the end of their life cycle long ago and no longer exist.

The concept of multiple Saviors borders on the absurd as it would mean God(swt)'s one sacrifice was not sufficient to save all human-like life forms.

For Jesus(as) to have been a savior of mankind would mean only earth contains Humanoids. Some how that seems like a lote of wasted Galazies created.

The other option is Jesus(as) did not die for man's sins and was not a sacrifice that brought salvation. That God(swt) requires no sacrifice to forgive sin and can do so with just a thought.

Just my own ramblings and opinion. Not based on anything except my own thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality