Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:26 PM

49 posts, read 146,944 times

Advertisements

It seems that the vast majority of Christians do not believe in personal revelations coming from God if these revelations do not seem to correspond to 'THEIR INTERPRETATION' of scripture.

It would seem that the scriptures themselves, AND the various personal 'INTERPRETATIONS' of such, are now held to be more important than God Himself!

Wasn't this the very problem which the Pharisees faced when confronted with Jesus? They said things like: We believe in Moses (i.e. a historic personality) and the scriptures, we know they came from God, but you (Jesus), we know not from whence you come. They accused Jesus of consulting with Beelzebub and all things evil, and simply refused to listen to Him.

Do Christians believe there is no living God today, who would continually inspire people with REAL TRUTH - instead of leaving them to read into scripture their own personal desires and preferences?

So many Christians claim to be 're-born' into the Spirit, but why, then, are there so many differences of opinion? Those who are truly 're-born' as the children of God will be ONE in the Spirit of Truth - there will be NO DIFFERENCES OF OPINION ON SPIRITUAL MATTERS!!!

Does anyone agree with this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 09:55 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
My personal interpretation is that God is love and that Jesus interpreted the Torah through love. That having faith means sacrificing yourself for others, to serve others and not just yourself.

My interpretation however is mostly based on personal experiences. I do not find it odd that many do not agree with me on spiritual matters since most people do not share my personal experience.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:09 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Ben-Shema View Post
It seems that the vast majority of Christians do not believe in personal revelations coming from God if these revelations do not seem to correspond to 'THEIR INTERPRETATION' of scripture.

I agree, seems to be counter intuitive

It would seem that the scriptures themselves, AND the various personal 'INTERPRETATIONS' of such, are now held to be more important than God Himself!

It may appear that way, but I think most Christians would disagree with you.

Wasn't this the very problem which the Pharisees faced when confronted with Jesus? They said things like: We believe in Moses (i.e. a historic personality) and the scriptures, we know they came from God, but you (Jesus), we know not from whence you come. They accused Jesus of consulting with Beelzebub and all things evil, and simply refused to listen to Him.

I believe the Pharisees questioned the authority of JESUS

Do Christians believe there is no living God today, who would continually inspire people with REAL TRUTH - instead of leaving them to read into scripture their own personal desires and preferences?

I come from a line of Christians that believe GOD's spirit continues to work with us.

So many Christians claim to be 're-born' into the Spirit, but why, then, are there so many differences of opinion? Those who are truly 're-born' as the children of God will be ONE in the Spirit of Truth - there will be NO DIFFERENCES OF OPINION ON SPIRITUAL MATTERS!!!

I think you probably know the answer already. We're HUMAN.
I have Jewish friends who are liberal, reformed, orthodox, and hassidic.
I had one orthodox guy talk about liberal jews like they were dogs.

Some of it.....

Old 09-10-2007, 01:54 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:

Yes, I agree. Every denomination claims their own version of the "truth" is the only correct one, and they believe it was inspired by the Holy Spirit. Yet another group will come along and claim the same thing, yet their interpretations differ from the others. I've been saying for a while now that there are simply TOO many different interpretations of Scripture out there, so who is right and who is wrong?

Old 09-10-2007, 02:07 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
Quote:

I agree with this... but in order for this to happen, we must believe the entire Bible to be the inspired word of God, and go from there: not start with certain ideas and then see if the Bible fits our ideas. Regarding "personal revelations from God," God often reveals Himself to His children, but it would never contradict scripture.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:02 PM

91 posts, read 210,084 times
I believe in personal revelation. I believe God guides each of us individually. Not with great chunks of doctrine or anything but with the things that will help us to live our own lives and to understand and grow closer to him.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:53 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
Quote:

U r talking about "apples and oranges" the "spiritual and the natural" when u talk about rebirth and differing opinions of "Believers". In the N.T. a Pharisee was told "u must be born again" This is a spiritual matter and there is no difference of opinion among "Believers"-those who believe in JESUS the Christ for it was HE who said a man must be born agaian. Not from his mother's womb but his spirit must become alive again unto GOD. In the O.T. Adam sinned and as a result he died spiritually unable to connect with GOD as he had before he sinned. Remember GOD is SPIRIT and those who worship HIM must worship HIM in spirit and in truth. Sin seperated us from GOD. We became sensual - living by our natural senses rather than our spirits. This is why humanity was in need of redemption. Jesus came to reconcile the sons of Adam to their FATHER GOD. I think until Jesus returns and "Believers" are changed u will all ways have people even Christians who have different opinions. However all Christians who r "BELIEVERS" must be born again. I bet u would be hard pressed to find any group of people in the world who agree on everything. Even the Pharisees and the Sadducees did not agree especially on the interpretation of the Tanak or Torah. Moreover, Paul taught that believers are at different stages or levels in their Christian walk. He said we should desire the sincere milk of the word...to grow spiritually. And again he said some were not ready for meat (speaking or spiritual food). He also talked about babes in CHRIST and more mature Christians. One can easily see why all Christians are not exactly alike in every respect. And it is not reasonable or logical to think Christians should always agree on everything either. Does a child always agree with his or her parents? How about a husband and a wife? Yet, they remain a family. A parent does not throw a child away because they don't agree on everything; nor, does a husband or a wife walk out on the marriage for failure to agree on everything. This is true for Christians too. We are not any less "Believers" in JESUS the Christ or less devoted to serving GOD because we may not agree on every single thing. Christianity does not require we all agree on every point, the bigger picture is God sent HIS SON to save the world from their sins...Now "let every man work out his own salvation with fear and trembling..." The Christian Way is an individual thing. Everyone is free to receive the LORD JESUS CHRIST or reject HIM. It does not matter if u r Jewish, non-denominational, or Baptist, Holiness, Church of Christ, Lutheran, Methodist, ect...we all have have our own free-will to choose and every individual will be held accountable for the choice they make. I hope I have beeen helpful

Old 09-10-2007, 09:14 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
U r talking about "apples and oranges" the "spiritual and the natural" when u talk about rebirth and differing opinions of "Believers". In the N.T. a Pharisee was told "u must be born again" This is a spiritual matter and there is no difference of opinion among "Believers"-those who believe in JESUS the Christ for it was HE who said a man must be born agaian. Not from his mother's womb but his spirit must become alive again unto GOD. In the O.T. Adam sinned and as a result he died spiritually unable to connect with GOD as he had before he sinned. Remember GOD is SPIRIT and those who worship HIM must worship HIM in spirit and in truth. Sin seperated us from GOD. We became sensual - living by our natural senses rather than our spirits. This is why humanity was in need of redemption. Jesus came to reconcile the sons of Adam to their FATHER GOD. I think until Jesus returns and "Believers" are changed u will all ways have people even Christians who have different opinions. However all Christians who r "BELIEVERS" must be born again. I bet u would be hard pressed to find any group of people in the world who agree on everything. Even the Pharisees and the Sadducees did not agree especially on the interpretation of the Tanak or Torah. Moreover, Paul taught that believers are at different stages or levels in their Christian walk. He said we should desire the sincere milk of the word...to grow spiritually. And again he said some were not ready for meat (speaking or spiritual food). He also talked about babes in CHRIST and more mature Christians. One can easily see why all Christians are not exactly alike in every respect. And it is not reasonable or logical to think Christians should always agree on everything either. Does a child always agree with his or her parents? How about a husband and a wife? Yet, they remain a family. A parent does not throw a child away because they don't agree on everything; nor, does a husband or a wife walk out on the marriage for failure to agree on everything. This is true for Christians too. We are not any less "Believers" in JESUS the Christ or less devoted to serving GOD because we may not agree on every single thing. Christianity does not require we all agree on every point, the bigger picture is God sent HIS SON to save the world from their sins...Now "let every man work out his own salvation with fear and trembling..." The Christian Way is an individual thing. Everyone is free to receive the LORD JESUS CHRIST or reject HIM. It does not matter if u r Jewish, non-denominational, or Baptist, Holiness, Church of Christ, Lutheran, Methodist, ect...we all have have our own free-will to choose and every individual will be held accountable for the choice they make. I hope I have beeen helpful
You have been helpful sun queen, absolutely fantastic post.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:08 PM

49 posts, read 146,944 times
Thumbs down Big Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I agree with this... but in order for this to happen, we must believe the entire Bible to be the inspired word of God, and go from there: not start with certain ideas and then see if the Bible fits our ideas. Regarding "personal revelations from God," God often reveals Himself to His children, but it would never contradict scripture.
So you obviously place scripture above God. You are saying that scripture is infallible, and that God must agree with what man has written down. This is the great problem which religion faces - they cannot give up their cherished beliefs in scripture (mere books)!

Peace & Love

Old 09-10-2007, 10:45 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:
So you obviously place scripture above God. You are saying that scripture is infallible, and that God must agree with what man has written down. This is the great problem which religion faces - they cannot give up their cherished beliefs in scripture (mere books)!

Peace & Love
I'd be interested in reading what your beliefs are, and why you believe as you do - that is, how you arrived at those beliefs....if you'd like to share that with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality