U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 PM

1,302 posts, read 578,164 times
I have always thought that the creation and the creator are one and the same. But I am an unabashed Pagan with my own opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 08:18 PM

11,254 posts, read 9,626,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There's a reality that "created" the sun, moon, stars, planets and all life on earth, including humans. It's a reality where time is measured in billions of years and space is measured in billions of light years.

It's called the universe. It is, in the deepest sense, unfathomable and incomprehensible to us humans.

Therefore, why can't we call the universe "God"?
Because my god doesn't look like stars, quasars and gravitational effects. My god has a big beard, an even bigger hammer and he's P***ed off that I haven't been drinking mead lately.

But to answer your question, people can't even agree to drive courteously so what makes you think they'll agree about god?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:34 PM

278 posts, read 150,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
I have always thought that the creation and the creator are one and the same. But I am an unabashed Pagan with my own opinion.
Think what you like, but I don't see any reason to believe it.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:20 PM

1,467 posts, read 897,673 times
How many universes is this so called GOD comprised of? How does the universe exist without existence itself? Lisa Randall and Raman Sundrum proposed the 5-dimensional warped geometry theory (also referred to as the Randall-Sundrum model) in 1999. They were looking to solve the hierarchy problem of the Standard Model; that is, why the other three forces are so much stronger than gravity. Their solution, in simplistic terms, is a five dimensional (four of space, one of time) Universe containing four dimensional (three of space, one of time) brane(s). The two branes are the "gravity brane", where gravitons exist, and the "weak brane" for all the other elementary particles. The weak brane is "our" world. The two branes are separated in the fifth dimension and carry opposite brane energy, which has the affect of warping the fifth dimension. Gravity is strong on the gravity brane, but falls off as it crosses over to the weak brane. The separation proposed is such that the strength of gravity is equal to what we measure when it reaches the weak brane. This implies a change of 16 orders of magnitude. By applying this to superstring theory, the strings are the proposed length of 10-33 cm on the gravity brane, but enlarge by 16 orders of magnitude to 10-17 cm on the weak brane. In this model, therefore, it is possible that strings could be detected by the LHC in the future. A second version of the model proposes that, rather than being a fixed length, the fifth dimension is, essentially, infinite putting the two branes infinitely far apart, with gravity having its "natural home" in the bulk.
In the Randall-Sundrum Model, all the fundamental particles and forces (except gravity and gravitons) are represented as open strings that have their ends stuck in our 3-brane, the Weak brane, and cannot extend into the extra, warped dimension or into any of the other possible branes within that bulk. Photons, for example, cannot leave our brane or enter it from the bulk, so that all we see is the three space plus one time dimension of our Universe. Gravity and gravitons are represented as closed loop strings that exist either in the bulk, or in another brane, the Gravity brane.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:22 PM

1,302 posts, read 578,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distraff View Post
Think what you like, but I don't see any reason to believe it.

And I don't see any reason not to. Agreed to disagree.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:31 PM

9,811 posts, read 7,990,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus23 View Post
How many universes is this so called GOD comprised of? How does the universe exist without existence itself? Lisa Randall and Raman Sundrum proposed the 5-dimensional warped geometry theory (also referred to as the Randall-Sundrum model) in 1999. They were looking to solve the hierarchy problem of the Standard Model; that is, why the other three forces are so much stronger than gravity. Their solution, in simplistic terms, is a five dimensional (four of space, one of time) Universe containing four dimensional (three of space, one of time) brane(s). The two branes are the "gravity brane", where gravitons exist, and the "weak brane" for all the other elementary particles. The weak brane is "our" world. The two branes are separated in the fifth dimension and carry opposite brane energy, which has the affect of warping the fifth dimension. Gravity is strong on the gravity brane, but falls off as it crosses over to the weak brane. The separation proposed is such that the strength of gravity is equal to what we measure when it reaches the weak brane. This implies a change of 16 orders of magnitude. By applying this to superstring theory, the strings are the proposed length of 10-33 cm on the gravity brane, but enlarge by 16 orders of magnitude to 10-17 cm on the weak brane. In this model, therefore, it is possible that strings could be detected by the LHC in the future. A second version of the model proposes that, rather than being a fixed length, the fifth dimension is, essentially, infinite putting the two branes infinitely far apart, with gravity having its "natural home" in the bulk.
In the Randall-Sundrum Model, all the fundamental particles and forces (except gravity and gravitons) are represented as open strings that have their ends stuck in our 3-brane, the Weak brane, and cannot extend into the extra, warped dimension or into any of the other possible branes within that bulk. Photons, for example, cannot leave our brane or enter it from the bulk, so that all we see is the three space plus one time dimension of our Universe. Gravity and gravitons are represented as closed loop strings that exist either in the bulk, or in another brane, the Gravity brane.
String theory is, as far as I can tell, still a hypothesis. Not all physicists agree that all these extra dimensions actually exist.

It is intriguing but we don't know yet whether it's actual science.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 AM

121 posts, read 71,841 times
Quote:
I can see how that may be. However, God is considered a sentient being only because at one time it was imagined that an all-powerful sentience must have been required to "create" the heavens and earth, life and humans.

This belief has now been replaced by the scientific knowledge that all creation comes about through natural processes. Therefore, nature has taken the place of a sentient God.
This is the secret of the 'Truth' that nobody knows when this knowledge is lost among humans until a buddha discovers it and teaches it. His followers are known as Buddhists but they do not place the God above its teacher.

There are sects who worship sun, moon, stars, storm, thunder etc.. as the God who might have inheritted this knowledge from their ancient ancestors.

Last edited by Sidneytinhtut; 03-06-2012 at 05:20 AM..

Old 03-06-2012, 05:15 AM

5,134 posts, read 1,843,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We can and should . . . at least as regards the EXISTENCE of God because it has the scientifically verified de minimus attributes of God.
I am aware of no scientific support for the existence of a god, let alone any of the other attributes you assign to it. Feel free to adumbrate some of it for us here.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:25 AM

5,134 posts, read 1,843,942 times
Quote:
Therefore, why can't we call the universe "God"?
Many users on here do. They simply take the universe and all that is in it, call it "god" and then say "Therefore god exists". To me it is a pointless exercise as we already have a perfectly serviceable word "universe" so why change it? And if you are going to change it why specifically change it to a word that carries a massive weight and history of metaphysical baggage? Why "god" and not "spludunky-doo-dah".

The only answer I can come up with is that people WANT to sneak in that metaphysical baggage and that answer is supported by what many of those users then go on to do. They do not just stop at their little linguistic relabeling trick. They then go on to assign attributes to the universe based on nothing at all.

This universe they call "god" is suddenly conscious. It has emotions, intentions, designs, plans, and performs actions such as taking your "soul" when you die and engaging in certain laundering and purification processes with it before making it, and hence you, eternal.

To me it is just a trick. A canard to define a god into existence and then smuggle in attributes for it at will as they suit.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 AM

16,311 posts, read 14,163,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I would rather call the universe Bruce.
Heretic, the universe's name is George
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality