Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 03:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I see these threads as an exploration into the human mind, but still do not understand how anyone can blind themselves to reality so thoroughly....I often wonder if they actually believe such nonsense, or if they want to believe it so desperately that it blinds them to the reality that some of their beliefs are not possible.
This is correct. Eusebius is not listening. He is fiddling the facts to prop up the faith, inventing wildly where the story is threatening to collapse and resorting to silliness where he can't come up with anything that looks credible even to him.

The battle indeed cannot be won in his case. I'm thinking of those who might be hornswoggled by those carefully crafted (and crafty) books and documentaries intended to fool people into believing that this silly, silly fable is anything more than that. After following this thread, surely no reasonable person could ever again believe that this ark story would actually work in practical terms.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:22 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
This is correct. Eusebius is not listening. He is fiddling the facts to prop up the faith, inventing wildly where the story is threatening to collapse and resorting to silliness where he can't come up with anything that looks credible even to him.

The battle indeed cannot be won in his case. I'm thinking of those who might be hornswoggled by those carefully crafted (and crafty) books and documentaries intended to fool people into believing that this silly, silly fable is anything more than that. After following this thread, surely no reasonable person could ever again believe that this ark story would actually work in practical terms.
I can say the same about you buddy.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I can say the same about you buddy.
And so you do, but the progress of the thread shows who had the sound evidence and who just made it up as they went along. I'll be fair, you have some mileage in polystrates and ships which at least appear to approach the size of the ark, but that's all you've got.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:15 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Polystrates ( a word made up by creationists) and a wooden ship of that size are easily refuted, and have been on this thread.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Polystrates ( a word made up by creationists) and a wooden ship of that size are easily refuted, and have been on this thread.
Yes, I would say they substantially have, but I give Eusebius at least some evidence (upright trunks in one or more strata and couple of ships that are claimed to be of the postulated Ark -size, or nearly) to work with, debatable as it is. the rest is not only with no worthwhile evidence but is refuted by the evidence and that has to be explained away, misrepresented or just ignored in order to make a case.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yes, I would say they substantially have, but I give Eusebius at least some evidence (upright trunks in one or more strata and couple of ships that are claimed to be of the postulated Ark -size, or nearly)
Of course, they are only "near" the size of the mythical ark in hull length, not actual tonnage or volume. A barge, yacht or grain ship approaching 400' in length are in no way comparable in complexity to a similar length vessel with a multi-storied hull/shell and additional internal structure to keep together and maintain seaworthiness (while carrying the weight of thousands of animals plus their food, water, droppings, etc).

DURING a catastrophic flood that allegedly split continents, lifted mountains and created the Grand Canyon (just the one)...

Last edited by QuixoticHobbit; 03-31-2012 at 08:54 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 09:24 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
As for the little "evidence" Eusebius may produce, I think its clear that the modus operandi of most Biblical literalists is that if they can show just ONE factual datum from their text, to their mind they have successfully shown that the rest of the text MUST be true.

For example, a typical appeal is that "archaeology has found Jericho!" so the Bible's historicity is proven to their minds. That's like claiming the story of Huckleberry Finn is true because "we know that a Mississippi River exists!"

Literalists use that form of argument all the time - they just don't apply it to other myths.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Of course, they are only "near" the size of the mythical ark in hull length, not actual tonnage or volume. A barge, yacht or grain ship approaching 400' in length are in no way comparable in complexity to a similar length vessel with a multi-storied hull/shell and additional internal structure to keep together and maintain seaworthiness (while carrying the weight of thousands of animals plus their food, water, droppings, etc).

DURING a catastrophic flood that allegedly split continents, lifted mountains and created the Grand Canyon (just the one)...
Yes, while the Caligula obelisk barge initially looks as though a 400 foot Ark might work, there are other factors in that strapping a long rock into a floating box and sailing it in the favourable gran - shipping season to Rome is a bit different to a honeycomb of pens, gangways and corridors for a zooful of creatures and their rotting meat and veg after the first couple of months of a ten - month voyage in pretty vile conditions.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:09 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default I always get back predictable but vacuous answers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.
Well there you have it. Seemed pretty logical and reasonable to me. But then, that's just me: logical and reasonable.

In your MAGIC Version however, none of these problems came to be. It was all just a big 18 mo long par-teyh, right?

Redirect Notice

Ooopppsss no; more animals. I mean, you know, those "lesser animals"...

Redirect Notice

or..

Redirect Notice

I just knew someone documented the Big Par-Teyh on The Ark-Royal! And here it is, and even in color I had no idea that they had color cameras back then! Wow!

So.. lots of food and water, with polite server staff, no carnivorous activities whatsoever, and clean well-maintained gender-specific restrooms ("They are one level down sir... Oh please; not right there, on the floor!..

Gawd! Call Noah up from his bedroom... again! There's a bunch more elephant droppings to be dealt with!")

As we've said so many times: You just can't logically argue this hysterically funny stuff (because it's all impossible on a logic basis...) so you have to resort to PURE MAGIC. Which you guys will also never admit to.

So, either way, it can't be done!

QED.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality