Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 12:47 AM

526 posts, read 692,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Entertainment is the only thing I can think of as a reason.
Me too!

Old 03-20-2012, 03:19 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
I can only say that I take very seriously the amount of money and effort being poured into publicizing these Genesis- literal theories. And I suggest that every effort should be taken to point out that the YE geology and Ark Feasibility studies concocted to make the Biblical Flood account look plausible do not really stack up.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,902 times
For an interesting and informative article - check out The Bible and Interpretation.

The article is called "Forget Noah's Ark; There Was No World-Wide Flood" and will add immensely to the discussion, though many of the points have already been mentioned - but not all.

It's from Robert Cargill, and it states it's approach as:
Many people have contacted me about the recent claims by a group called Noah’s Ark Ministries International. The evangelical organization claims to have discovered Noah’s ark. I have responded on several occasions to these dubious claims on my blog. And still, this group has stood behind their claim, insisting that what they have found is real based largely on the belief that because the Bible says the flood and the ark are historical, it must be so. So, instead of addressing their spurious claims yet again, I thought I would approach the issue from a different angle: forget about Noah’s ark; there was no world-wide flood.
(From the weblink)
He sums up nicely the modern rational approach, and the irrational approach that most adherents to the story profess (yes, profess - because it has to do with faith) - pointing out the number one fallacy of modern adherents:
The worldwide flood described in Genesis 6-9 is not historical, but rather a combination of at least two flood stories, both of which descended from earlier Mesopotamian flood narratives. Note that this does not mean all of the claims made in the Bible are false (or true for that matter); I am dealing here only with the biblical stories of the flood. (Also understand that the “slippery slope” claim of “all of the Bible is true or none of it is true” is simply an unnecessary rhetorical device designed to keep readers from doing precisely what scholars do every day: analyze each claim in the Bible on a case-by-case basis. It is not necessary to accept an “all or none” stance towards the Bible.)

Anyways - enjoy! If this has already been posted (this thread is huge) - I apologize.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I can only say that I take very seriously the amount of money and effort being poured into publicizing these Genesis- literal theories. And I suggest that every effort should be taken to point out that the YE geology and Ark Feasibility studies concocted to make the Biblical Flood account look plausible do not really stack up.
Yep, YEC propaganda does make alot of $$$$ for "creationist" authors who a following of millions of delusional creationist sheeple to sell books and videos to. I do believe Eusubius mentioned he worked for a publisher of such material so that explains alot.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Yep, YEC propaganda does make alot of $$$$ for "creationist" authors who a following of have millions of delusional creationist sheeple to sell books and videos to. I do believe Eusubius mentioned he worked for a publisher of such material so that explains alot.
I wonder if he works for the Noahs Ark Ministries from my post above?

Do you, Eusebius? If it's not too personal of a question, of course. I can understand if one wishes to deny any connection with such an organization.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:12 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post

Do you, Eusebius? If it's not too personal of a question, of course. I can understand if one wishes to deny any connection with such an organization.
I don't know but he obviously works for one of the Liars-for-Jesus creationist propaganda mills.

Unless he is indeed a POE, which I and others here have seriously considered.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:59 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
i think that there is solid evidence of localized flooding on a more or less global scale during some points of man's early history. but i don't think that there is evidence of a flood that literally covered the entire earth up past the pinnacle of mount everest.

now, i am a christian that believes in the bible. but i believe that a lot of it is metaphorical, and that it was written from the viewpoints of an early people with limited, local information, and that they just as easily saw their entire world to represent the entire known world.

for a good read, orson scott card details how an ancient local flood in the mediterranean could have come to be seen as a global flood.

Books By Orson Scott Card - Pastwatch - The Redemption of Christopher Columbus

one of my favorite historical fiction novels.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:29 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i think that there is solid evidence of localized flooding on a more or less global scale during some points of man's early history. but i don't think that there is evidence of a flood that literally covered the entire earth up past the pinnacle of mount everest.

now, i am a christian that believes in the bible. but i believe that a lot of it is metaphorical, and that it was written from the viewpoints of an early people with limited, local information, and that they just as easily saw their entire world to represent the entire known world.

for a good read, orson scott card details how an ancient local flood in the mediterranean could have come to be seen as a global flood.

Books By Orson Scott Card - Pastwatch - The Redemption of Christopher Columbus

one of my favorite historical fiction novels.
Do you think, if you were living 5,000 years ago and you lived at an area that was locally flooded that you would write that all mankind on the face of the earth died in the flood? even though after that local flood you saw your aunt Mini Mae and many other hundreds of people from a hundred miles away, later? I know I wouldn't.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers

Nope. Never have.

And I still don't know what a POE is. Are you folks just to chicken to say what it means?

I think I just found out what POE is:

From this a "Poe" is someone who pretends to be a fundie while engaging in over-the-top trolling making ridiculous assertions and strawman arguments assuming others will believe that this is being done by an actual fundie."

But I am neither a troll nor a POE. And I never make strawman arguments. I keep catching YOU guys making the strawman arguments and find YOU guys making the inflamatory statements.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:07 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Do you think, if you were living 5,000 years ago and you lived at an area that was locally flooded that you would write that all mankind on the face of the earth died in the flood? even though after that local flood you saw your aunt Mini Mae and many other hundreds of people from a hundred miles away, later? I know I wouldn't.
Yes. Exaggeration can be a great key to bed time stories.

Just as the flying monkey probably leaped over no more than a few feet, while carrying a "bouquet" or something along the lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality