U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,062,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually since we are playing make believe anyway, I'm thinking that the first waves more than 6 feet high converted the ark to a lot of match sticks, and sadly nothing survived...
But at least they'd be waterproof matches, what with all that pitch n' stuff!

.................................................. .........

Old 03-29-2012, 06:16 AM

17,968 posts, read 12,427,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
duplicate post..maybe I'll post something else...

Mt. St. Helens:
Three separate eruptions produced sedimentary-type layers hundreds of feet thick. One of these was a hurricane velocity deposit that produced thousands of thin laminations up to 25 feet thick 10,11,12 The third eruption was a lava flow, which turned into a hot mud-flow as it crossed the Toutle River. This hot mud flow not only diverted the river, but carved a 17 mile long series of canyons (up to 140 feet deep) in a matter of hours. They call it the Little Grand Canyon of the Toutle River." 20,21,22 And to this very day, the neither the mass media, nor any popular "science" publications have told the public what happened. 23 For more on this see Mt. St. Helens: Evidence in Support of Biblical Catastrophe.

Claim CH581.1:
Rapid erosion of sediments along the north fork of Toutle River, flowing out of Spirit Lake on Mount St. Helens, carved a canyon like a miniature Grand Canyon, showing that the Grand Canyon could form suddenly.
Source:
Austin, Steven A. 1986. Mt. St. Helens and catastrophism. Impact 157 (July). Publications Mt. St. Helens and Catastrophism
Response:

The sediments on Mount St. Helens were unconsolidated volcanic ash, which is easily eroded. The Grand Canyon was carved into harder materials, including well-consolidated sandstone and limestone, hard metamorphosed sediments (the Vishnu schist), plus a touch of relatively recent basalt.

The walls of the Mount St. Helens canyon slope 45 degrees. The walls of the Grand Canyon are vertical in places.

The canyon was not entirely formed suddenly. The canyon along Toutle River has a river continuously contributing to its formation. Another canyon also cited as evidence of catastrophic erosion is Engineer's Canyon, which was formed via water pumped out of Spirit Lake over several days by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

The streams flowing down Mount St. Helens flow at a steeper grade than the Colorado River does, allowing greater erosion.

The Grand Canyon (and canyons further up and down the Colorado River) is more than 100,000 times larger than the canyon on Mount St. Helens. The two are not really comparable. (Talk Origins)
The St. Helen's volcanic action upon the river proves the world-wide flood of Noah's day.

Last edited by Eusebius; 03-29-2012 at 06:24 AM..

Old 03-29-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur
Actually since we are playing make believe anyway, I'm thinking that the first waves more than 6 feet high converted the ark to a lot of match sticks, and sadly nothing survived...
I realize you are still living in your make-believe world, but, I can wait for you to come out of that. I do have patience, as Eusebius pats sanspeur on the head with a grin.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 AM

Some of those trees are up to 80 feet in length and the different sedimentary layers surround the trees. Trees don't grow through sedimentary layers.
This cannot be due to volcanic activity because such trees are found all over the world. This can only be due to a world-wide flood of Noah's day.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:32 AM

A Classic Polystrate Fossil
The nail in the evolutionist coffin and proof of a world-wide flood.

A Classic Polystrate Fossil
by John D. Morris, Ph.D. *

Years ago, National Geographic published a remarkable photograph of a polystrate fossil, a fossilized tree that extended stratigraphically upward through several layers of rock in Tennessee. Its roots were in a coal seam, and the overlying deposits included bedded shale and thin carbon-rich layers. An advocate of any form of uniformitarianism would believe that it took many, many years to deposit this sequence of layers (much longer than it takes for a tree to grow and eventually die and decay), yet one vertical fossil extends through them all. This one fossilized tree offered a direct contradiction to the evolutionary mantra that "the present is the key to the past."

Last edited by Eusebius; 03-29-2012 at 06:45 AM..

Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 AM

13,842 posts, read 9,648,146 times
Read, study and inwardly digests boy!

"Polystrate" Tree Fossils

Old 03-29-2012, 11:22 AM

34,448 posts, read 8,876,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The St. Helen's volcanic action upon the river proves the world-wide flood of Noah's day.
Astounding. Post a total refutation and you still say it proves your belief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I realize you are still living in your make-believe world, but, I can wait for you to come out of that. I do have patience, as Eusebius pats sanspeur on the head with a grin.
I'm probably wasting my time saying this, but this sort of denial as an art- form does not make you look good.

So far you best (in fact only) case is the polystrate trunks which does puzzle me. I had seen the talk Origins post before but I didn't find a real lockdown explanation as to why fossil trees appear to 'grow up' through other strata, though obviously strata being deposited around existing trees is once scenario.

If some proper evidence as to whether it is a one - off flood or gradual deposition can be found, we'll see whether you have at least one bit of evidence.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:52 AM

Here is some more very interesting scientific proof (click here: The Fossil Record) for a world-wide flood.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:58 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,422,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
So far you best (in fact only) case is the polystrate trunks which does puzzle me. I had seen the talk Origins post before but I didn't find a real lockdown explanation as to why fossil trees appear to 'grow up' through other strata, though obviously strata being deposited around existing trees is one scenario.

If some proper evidence as to whether it is a one - off flood or gradual deposition can be found, we'll see whether you have at least one bit of evidence.
Your suspicions are correct, it's the second scenario. "Polystrate" trees have never been an issue for conventional geology. They are ubiquitous along stream channels where anytime the stream breaches its channel, a new "layer" is laid down surrounding the trunk. I could suggest any number of localities that are easily accessible to observe these polystrate trees, currently in the making. These layers are not laid down over geologic time, but rather the life of the tree- certainly not anywhere significantly longer. For this to be a proof of a global flood leads one to believe that someone's threshold for what constitutes as a proof is set extremely low.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Read, study and inwardly digests boy!

"Polystrate" Tree Fossils
That article is about young earth creationists and using polystrate fossils to prove a young earth which not all young earth creationists use today to prove a young earth.

I was using the polystrate fossils not to prove a young earth but to prove rapid deposition of strata around trees and thus disproving the theory it took millions of years to cover the trees. This rapid deposition was caused by a world-wide flood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality