Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 12:32 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,881,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid wave View Post
Are people serious?
Yes.

Quote:
No one can actually believe the Noah's ark story. Even most sensible religious people understand it as a parable and nothing more.
I'm one of the most sensible religious person and don't take it as a parable.

Quote:
Only so-called "born-agains" take a literal stance on everything the bible says,
I don't consider myself "born-again" but take a literal stance when it should be taken literally. For instance, in Revelation when it says "a sword is issuing out of His mouth" I believe that the sword stands for words issuing out of His mouth which have very serious consequences. The lamb on the throne is not a real, literal lamb. Get it?

Quote:
which explains why they are impossable to have a conversation with (they also believe the earth to be only 5000 years old…jackasses)
I don't believe the earth is only 5000 years old. I bet you'd be lovely to have a conversation with, calling people names.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:44 PM

82 posts, read 152,443 times
"I don't believe the earth is only 5000 years old. I bet you'd be lovely to have a conversation with, calling people names. [/quote]"

I usually won't call any religious group negative names but when you have a group that believes Jewish, Catholics, Buddist, etc can't go to heaven because they arent "born-again" then name calling becomes justified in my book.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:45 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,718,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Good question. The Bible does not say how long the first eon (Genesis 1:1) lasted. It could have been billions of years. Then in Genesis 1:2 the earth became chaos and vacant ended that eon and began the next eon. That second eon ended with the destruction of the world by the world-wide flood of Noah's day. That eon lasted about a thousand or so years.
Then the third eon began after the flood which is the same eon we are in today.
This eon will be ended when the earthquake occurs in which all the cities of the nations fall. Then Christ will usher in the 1000 year eon. That eon will end when the earth is destroyed by fire and the final eon will usher in after that called the New Earth.
They (Hindus) seem to have a different take on the matter.
Could they be right?

Quote:
God created evil and uses it for good:

Isa 45:7 Former of light and Creator of darkness, Maker of good and Creator of evil. I, Yahweh Elohim, made all of these things."

God doesn't torture anyone.
He might chasten people, yes. But if a parent didn't chasten their own children it would prove they don't love them. All chastening is for the betterment of the creature.
Parents don't promote killing, enslaving and torturing of people. I don't see loving parents starve their kids to death, or live a miserable life either. Not quite the kind of things I would classify under "chastening".

Wait... did you say God didn't include torture in his game plan? I wonder where that very idea came from.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Eusebius wrote: "I don't believe the earth is only 5000 years old. I bet you'd be lovely to have a conversation with, calling people names.
"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid wave View Post
I usually won't call any religious group negative names but when you have a group that believes Jewish, Catholics, Buddist, etc can't go to heaven because they arent "born-again" then name calling becomes justified in my book.
1 Timothy 2:4-6 says that God will save all mankind because Christ ransomed all mankind. I believe it be they Jewish, Catholic, Buddhist or Eskimo.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:47 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,718,245 times
Quote:
1 Timothy 2:4-6 says that God will save all mankind because Christ ransomed all mankind. I believe it be they Jewish, Catholic, Buddhist or Eskimo.
From what? Something He created and planned for everybody to go thru? At least Clark Kent wasn't into planning a disaster, only to be called a hero for saving the humanity.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Could they be right?

Parents don't promote killing, enslaving and torturing of people. I don't see loving parents starve their kids to death, or live a miserable life either. Not quite the kind of things I would classify under "chastening".
Neither would I classify those under chastening. Why do you think God would?

Quote:
Wait... did you say God didn't include torture in his game plan? I wonder where that very idea came from.
Where in the Bible does it say God tortures anyone?

Old 03-14-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
From what? Something He created and planned for everybody to go thru? At least Clark Kent wasn't into planning a disaster, only to be called a hero for saving the humanity.
That's because Clark Kent was not God

Old 03-14-2012, 12:57 PM

82 posts, read 152,443 times
Quote:
Yes.

I'm one of the most sensible religious person and don't take it as a parable.

I don't consider myself "born-again" but take a literal stance when it should be taken literally. For instance, in Revelation when it says "a sword is issuing out of His mouth" I believe that the sword stands for words issuing out of His mouth which have very serious consequences. The lamb on the throne is not a real, literal lamb. Get it?

I don't believe the earth is only 5000 years old. I bet you'd be lovely to have a conversation with, calling people names.
And just for the record there was never a world-wide flood, no scientific proof. Do you also believe Noah collected two of every species? He somehow traveled to every region on earth and found and captured every animal (big, small, dangerous) and every insect and then created the right environment on his man made boat that allowed all these creatures to survive and reproduce. So he controlled the climate to allow penguin to survive right beside crocodiles.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:01 PM

63,451 posts, read 39,695,513 times
Default Did a World-Wide Flood in Noah's day Happen?

If the answer given is yes . . . then we are dealing with an irrational and unreasoning credulity that cannot be engaged intellectually . . . since it is not based on reason to begin with. But there as so many flood myths in our storied past that a deluge or flood cannot be completely discounted. World-wide ???. . . NO. An immense ark containing the purported contents??? . . . undoubtedly an extreme exaggeration and ignorant embellishment. This is what happens with myths . . . they are told and retold and acquired by different cultures and used for different purposes to shape the thinking of their culture and generations. It is that shaping of thought that I believe is the result of an embedded "Spiritual" DNA involving the fold-up of the brain and its function. I find compelling circumstantial evidence in what I call the "Spiritual Fossil Record" within the very myths and legends of our species.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:05 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,578,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Uhhhmmmm... OK then; so then WHY did He feel it necessary to kill all the OBVIOUS innocents and the plant life, including every last tuna, turtle, dolphin, whale, chimp elk, bear and ant?

Why not just hand-wavingly kill off the known evil entities? What was He trying to prove to the other non-evil types? That He was/is, you better believe it, sonny-boy, invincible and that they'd better not ever get out of hand? Those pesky dolphins, ants and such!
?

I don't know why God did it the way he did, but the plants, the tunas, ants, dolphins, whales, chimp elk and bears " Are his", not ours or themselves; they belonged to God. So who's going to tell God what to do with whats his? Who's going to tell God to do things the way " They want it done?" Or how " They think it should have been done.?"

Its a God priviledge; a God is complettely in charge. I can imagine that creating all those creatures and the earth; all those humans, is simply nothing to God to do again. I don't have that mentality; that power! But I do have imagination, and I can imagine that there is nothing that God can't reproduce, so I can imagine that he does not mourn over what he kills. Now we humans must mourn, because thats our level of existence; we must see a beginning and end of things. But Gods view is far different than that; He IS the beginning and end, AND the " Reproduction of all things." Every gripe you have about him ending something, he already knows he can begin it again; you just don't know that.

While you mourn and complain, God is reproducing and replanning. We mourn and God renews! We gripe and God grows! We pain and God repopulates. We see one thing, think in one dimensional terms, and God is on a whole different thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality