U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-23-2012, 08:53 AM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,146,552 times
Reputation: 988

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Sorry trolo...but you saying that you were producing "facts" just had me rolling!
How old did you say you are?

Go through the posts I presented. I presented loads of facts. Just because you don't agree with the facts presented does not make them unfactual.

 
Old 03-23-2012, 09:01 AM
 
4,476 posts, read 4,137,425 times
Reputation: 3978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
waa waa waa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
How old did you say you are?
Keep it up. You make it to easy.

I love this quote: "Really stupid people lack the intellectual capacity to understand just how mindbogglingly stupid they are."
 
Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 AM
 
Location: South Africa
5,563 posts, read 6,052,559 times
Reputation: 1784
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
And I apologize to the memory of C34 when I compared you to him. He at least had some dignity.
Agreed - he put effort into his posts even though he was often proven wrong.
 
Old 03-23-2012, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
13,306 posts, read 9,324,699 times
Reputation: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Go through the posts I presented. I presented loads of facts.
Facts!?!?!?

laughing sailor - YouTube
 
Old 03-23-2012, 09:51 AM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,146,552 times
Reputation: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Have you considered that giving a comparison of available source documents from the ancient near east which depict a flood myth, the number of competing flood myths would lead 1 to conclude that there is actually more "evidence" for an Utnapishtim or Atrahasis, rather than for a Noah? I'm thinking along the lines a historian would require concerning how many witnesses makes a story reliable.

In addition, though you probably don't subscribe to the normative JEPD Theory ( The theory that tries to trace the individual oral and written traditions that eventually were incorporated by the final editor of the Pentateuch), the theory actually posits 2 separate sources for the flood account inthe Genesis - thus, technically increasing the number of "eye-witnesses" a historian would require in assessing an accounts historicity. Many people view the book of genesis as technically 1 source, not realizing its composite authorial nature. Using the JEDP Theory, however, would consider the j and p sources behind the flood myths as relatively independent witnesses -to so he was aware of and working with j when he composed his account and blended it with j, so it's hard to determine how "independent" P would be. Add to this Gunkel's ideas of finding the oral and writtenwritten sources behind the j and p documents, and you could conceivably increase the number of witnesses a historian requires.

You may consider this as useless, or not even subscribe (or be aware of) to the JEDP Theory (Source Criticism), or Gunkel's scholarship (Form Criticism) - But you are trying to convince modern people with historical and scientific outlooks, So you will have to use the same tools they do if trying to convince them. You are not preaching to the choir here.

Well, there ya' go: I gave you just a little more ammunition, but you must use it wisely.
Hi whoppers,
Thanks for your very fine post. Very well done.

I am curious what you think about this as regards JEDP Theory:
basic.theology.forums > JEPD Theory (http://www.basictheology.com/definitions/JEPD_Theory/ - broken link)
 
Old 03-23-2012, 09:53 AM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,146,552 times
Reputation: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Keep it up. You make it to easy.

I love this quote: "Really stupid people lack the intellectual capacity to understand just how mindbogglingly stupid they are."
Yea, I love that quote too.
 
Old 03-23-2012, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 23,530,922 times
Reputation: 12095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I thought I answered the question.
I will repeat the answer:
"But the apostle Paul prophesied that there must be sects among the churches (1 Cor.11:19)."

Why must there be sects among the churches? Paul give the reason:
"1Cor 11:19 For it must be that there are sects also among you, that those also who are qualified may be becoming apparent among you."
To prophesize is not the same to explain why. Heck, there was no need to prophesize anything when the book was already written with fragmentation in existence.

So, the unanswered question again: Why such fragmentation of Christianity?
 
Old 03-23-2012, 11:31 AM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,146,552 times
Reputation: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Paul gives the reason:
"1Cor 11:19 For it must be that there are sects also among you, that those also who are qualified may be becoming apparent among you."
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
To prophesize is not the same to explain why. Heck, there was no need to prophesize anything when the book was already written with fragmentation in existence.

So, the unanswered question again: Why such fragmentation of Christianity?
Dear EG,
I reposted my former reply. Please note the bolded "that"above. It is to be understood as the reason for "why there must be sects among you." The reason given is "so that those also who are qualified may be becoming apparent among you."

I'm not real sure what this has to do with the world-wide flood of Noah's day.
 
Old 03-23-2012, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 23,530,922 times
Reputation: 12095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Dear EG,
I reposted my former reply. Please note the bolded "that"above. It is to be understood as the reason for "why there must be sects among you." The reason given is "so that those also who are qualified may be becoming apparent among you."

I'm not real sure what this has to do with the world-wide flood of Noah's day.
So, Christians have different qualifications, hence the sects? Who among these sects, would you say, is the most qualified?
 
Old 03-23-2012, 11:50 AM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,146,552 times
Reputation: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
So, Christians have different qualifications, hence the sects? Who among these sects, would you say, is the most qualified?
Paul was pointing out that there are those teachers who are qualified to know what they are talking about and those teachers who are not qualified. Sectarianism has its roots in improper understanding of the Scriptures.

I don't know who is the MOST qualified. I just know some, based on my being in so many different sects since I first came into the faith, who would be highly qualified. I can give you one person's email address if you want to ask him any question on the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top