Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 02:54 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It's physically impossible to have had a worldwide flood. Like it or not - it just can't happen like that. Floods happen when there's too much water that falls on the earth's landmasses at certain points and it builds up before it drains back out to the ocean. Or they happen when strong winds and currents drive the water temporarily up onto land masses and flood coastal areas.

The earth only has so much water, and you can't "create" enough water to actually raise the levels of the oceans by any degree like the Noah story. Even if all the ice caps just melted all at once (which obviously didn't happen) it wouldn't raise the water enough to flood all the land masses. It would flood coastal areas.

So no - the flood didn't happen because there's no physical way so much water would ever exist to build it to that level. It's just a story. There's no proof of this flood anywhere on earth either way. That would be a nice starting point.
"We now know, of course, that the earth has plenty of water to launch a global flood. It has been calculated that if the earth's surface were completely flat, with no high mountains and no deep ocean basins, that water would cover the earth to a depth of about 8,000 feet. But is there enough water to cover a 29,035 foot mountain? " to read more go here:
Did Noah's Flood Cover the Himalayan Mountains?

Old 03-23-2012, 03:14 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
The problem the OP has is he looks for evidence to fit the biblical account and dismisses anything else. In other words no critical thinking needed.

OP please find a peer reviewed paper on this flat continent idea. I could say that the earths core super heated thus melting the bases of all continental plates. Saying that is just that, saying it. It is nothing more than conjecture. I'm sure you understand that. Saying it is possible does not make it so.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:19 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
And Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, and Moses, and Jesus and many other civilizations.
Oh! Now I getz what I do obviously missed the first few times around! Jes-suss was a civilization! I HAD NO IDEA! Well Thx, Eusebius. You ARE such a source of amusing new information!

And then you provide us with the summary logic behond your definitive argu-de-mentia....

(PS: when are yah gonna read and respond to anything we provide that so thoroughly counters. with documented and reproducible facts, all those frizzle-headed pseudo-arguments you keep concocting?)

Quote:
They are wrong if they are not correct.

(rflmn's note: [you forgot to add the word "...grasshopper!")

They are not correct if their understanding does not line up with a properly translated and properly "rightly divided" bible.
And the liner-upper and rightful divider would be you I'm betting, huh? Now that is a real easy way out of, well, anything, huh guys?

See? We're beat and we didn't know it! Dang! And I thought rational debate was how huge and impossible errors got corrected! Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
... I'm afraid, each one of them would say exactly the same thing you just did. But they are wrong, you're right. How?
You provided the answer right here, EG! "Because He Says So, Damn It!", and there's also his compelling and far more circular "argument" presented next line up!

Ain't it obvious?

Old 03-23-2012, 03:36 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
The Institute for Creation Research is playing "let's pretend" the earth was flat, there were no deep ocean trenches, etc....It's ALL made up, and neither you or I should believe a single word they say...

Barberton Greenstone Belt in eastern Africa is the oldest mountain range on Earth (3.5 billion years old) - this is evident if you understand the formation of the continents.

The Guiana Highlands in South America are thought to be the earth's oldest surface (2 billion years old): it includes a large mountain plateau.

Collision between the plates creating the Himalaya range began around 65 million years ago.

List of mountain ranges... List of mountain ranges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-23-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
"We now know, of course, that the earth has plenty of water to launch a global flood. It has been calculated that if the earth's surface were completely flat, with no high mountains and no deep ocean basins, that water would cover the earth to a depth of about 8,000 feet. But is there enough water to cover a 29,035 foot mountain? " to read more go here:
Not possible, You obviously haven't read anything else on the subject, just your nonsense from this poorly accredited fellow:

John David Morris (born 1946) is an American young earth creationist. He is the son of "the father of creation science", Henry M. Morris, and after his father's death became the president of the Institute for Creation Research . Morris is a creationist author and speaks at a variety of churches.

Oh. I see! Well that and 50¢ certainly qualifies him to make endlessly absurd commentary, based on nonsense and impossible interpretations.

Unfortunately, he has never published anything that deals with flood hydrology, unlike the literal tens of thousands of actual PhD geologists and hydrologists who have completely refuted it in journal articles. (Not to mention that Morris has actually never published ANYTHING in ANY accredited peer-reviewed science/evolution/geology journal.

I wonder what he's so frightened of! You want to take a wild guess? How's about a total failure of credibility and acceptance within the global scientific community? Yah think?)

As well, there is no possible way that all the earth's global mountain ranges could have sprung up from being dead-flat, and with completely minerally fossilized and embedded ancient fossil forms inside of < 2000 years, all post-flood.
And they would have to be all on the same sedimentary level, in which we'd also necessarily find all the known animals from that period. Whales, dolphins, modern fish, marmots, goats, polar bears, palm trees, cedars, piune,s cedars, cranberry bushes, palm trees, and so on. All felled and ofssilized! Oh and and natch, all them millions of happy pet T-Rexs and the other 3 - 5 million different co-existing dinosaurs, which are, strangely, all conspicuously absent.

Now that's quite the little problem you have to overcome, huh? I know, I know: you'll quick-like, make summthin' up. Quick quick quickitty quick now!

That's not how it works, geo-silly man! (PS: we're currently measuring the growth of Everest at a pretty constant average of a mere 4cm/annum, which means, @ 29,000 feet, it would have taken it 195,750 years to reach it's current height. Otherwise, to accomplish it in a mere 2000 years, it would have to grow at an an average rate of...

441 meters/yr. Wow! I think we'd notice, huh? Not to mention that your "embedded fossils" up there, dep in the existing basalt & old granitic rocks, represent types that did not exist at the time of your fairy-tale flood, and that there are lots of references to many mountain ranges pre-flood! Seems to me your bible mentions some important valleys and the like, no? What, did your wooden God first pre-level them, then flood the earth, and then re-raise 'em back up again? Why, one might well ask? Was He that obtuse and stupitt? Apparently.

This is all just so danged "plausible" (), it makes the rational brain spin.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:44 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Well yeah, exactly. The earth obviously isn't flat though, it has massive trenches in the ocean and large mountains on the land. It's hasn't been anywhere near flat since it was a big ball of hot molten material billions of years ago.

There really is no debate. It's completely impossible for the himalayas to be covered in water, or most of the land on earth for that matter. It's pretty simple.

The link is a nice story, but it's not rational. Large floods don't create 29,000 foot mountains made of solid rock. Plate activity does.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:59 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
John David Morris has a salary of over $89,000, and on top of that has income from several books that fundies eagerly purchase, and then he does numerous speaking engagements...It seems that lying for Jesus can be very lucrative, and I doubt that he'd give it up even if he knew that he was spreading lies.
Take a look at his "store"... http://icr.christianbook.com/

Old 03-23-2012, 03:59 PM

Wink Follow-Up onGeneral Credibility of Cited Sources

It behooves the less scientifically aware or trained posters here that they should not just jump on the very first unaccredited, non-published or self-graduated (from some unaccredited Christian Faker College that exists only as a PO box in the Australian Outback, but who don't return their phone calls...) individual they read about in the various and numerous Christian faker website press (Answers in Genesis, The Creation Museum, bibleanswers.org, etc.).

http://landoverbaptist.org/

I'd strongly urge feverishly enthusiastic posters of such obviously biased articles to first check the articles out for signs of credible research protocols (like peer review, publication in an actual journal of science (i.e.: Nature, Journal of Epidemiology, Journal of Geological Science; Journal of Hydrology; and so on, all readily available by the literal tens of thousands), and also check the biography as their main source character.

If he or she is a devout Creationist/Genesis type, who then automatically disputes anything that even hints at an honest and thoughtful look at evidence, then perhaps you should at the very least consider that you may have aligned yourself with automatic disrepute and bias.

Hardly how to start an intelligent and ethical argument or debate, huh?

I'm just sayin'

Old 03-23-2012, 04:25 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
And Moe, and Larry, and Curley, and Shemp..........
Well, maybe Jesus knows but he's in the fam.
Isn't the water we have on earth the same amount we've always had? If we had a world wide flood, wouldn't it still be goin on? I'm no scientist, just asking.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:49 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well yeah, exactly. The earth obviously isn't flat though, it has massive trenches in the ocean and large mountains on the land. It's hasn't been anywhere near flat since it was a big ball of hot molten material billions of years ago.

There really is no debate. It's completely impossible for the himalayas to be covered in water, or most of the land on earth for that matter. It's pretty simple.

The link is a nice story, but it's not rational. Large floods don't create 29,000 foot mountains made of solid rock. Plate activity does.
If you read the article, you would have noted that they did not say the earth is flat, so you are using a fallacy of straw man. That goes for all you others who stated this.

1. there is enough water on earth now to launch a global flood.
  2. IF the earth surface were completely flat (they didn't say it is or ever was)
  3. IF there were no high mountains or deep ocean basins (they didn't say there were no mountains or ocean basins)
  4. the water would cover the earth to a depth of about 8,000 feet.
Now I know I have to spell it out for you kiddies out there, so do you notice the bolded, italic, underlined "IF" above? That means IF something were so then such and such is so. I know, I know it is a hard concept for you bible bashers out there. It is not completely your fault that you can't think. You have been dumbed down over the years but I am here to help you to rationally think.

For all you kids who can't read, I will re-state it and explain it for you:

"We now know, of course, that the earth has plenty of water to launch a global flood. It has been calculated that if the earth's surface were completely flat, with no high mountains and no deep ocean basins, that water would cover the earth to a depth of about 8,000 feet. But is there enough water to cover a 29,035 foot mountain?" Did Noah's Flood Cover the Himalayan Mountains?

Now then kiddies, it does no good to read the above and then try to disprove it by saying puerile things such as:

"They can't be right if they have not done a peer reviewed paper."
or,
and I love this one:
"John David Morris has a salary of over $89,000," as if that proves the earth can't be flooded because John Morris makes $89,000. Children! Children! let me explain something to you, a person who makes a living does not disprove what he or she says. When you grow up, if you ever do, you too will be able to get a job and make a living and you too will be able to prove things. It takes a while though.
or:
"Not possible, John David Morris (born 1946) is an American young earth creationist."
Now I have to admit, I didn't know that if someone like the highly advanced rifleman said "John Morris was born in 1946 that that disproves the world wide flood in this article or that if he said he is an American that that disproves his main thesis or that if Morris is a young earth creationist (I don't know if he underlined those words to really make a point) as if being a young earth creationist (underlined words or not) that Morris can't be correct as to a world-wide flood. Now children, that is not how you properly make an argument nor win an argument.

Now your assignment, children, is to read the whole article again, and, without making all the booboos you made in your former assignment, I want you to keep your personal snide remarks to yourself, and I want you to try to be like adults in critiquing Mr. Morris' argument that the earth does have enough water to have a world-wide flood. Anyone of you who can't abide by these rules will have to stand in the corner, wear this pointed dunce hat and wear this sign, "I am a dunce."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality