U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 01:51 AM

535 posts, read 490,640 times

Advertisements

To start off, let me tell you a little about myself. I grew up in the technology era. When i was in like 7th grade or so , we had the amazing "INTERNET".

Before then, I remember times of driving hot wheels on very rainy and especially MUDDY DAYS... My mom said she would need to do a lot of "LAUNDRY"..

I remember jumping in over-sized construction garbage tubs, for the fun of it. It was an ADVENTURE.

I remember that having fun, was mainly GOING OUTSIDE.. and playing sports, tag, or something else outdoors.

And then before I realized it. I'm in my 20s , I feel old already. I feel like I gave up on real human nature and adventure and fun.

I feel that I am ABUSING my God Given Human Spirit.

My idea of fun, for the past decade or so, has been about watching "viral" online videos. Watching other people doing fun/stupid/crazy things.

I feel I gave up on myself. I feel I don't live for me, but for the safe adventure of my brain watching "crap" online or tv.

The only times in my high-school or college times that I truly felt alive was when I was DRUNK as could be, and experienced real life crazy things and had crazy times.

Now that- that time is over.. I realize I am a DILBERT. I don't live for real adventure. I am fearful of technology. Technology and rule of law has become my god.

I am truly regretful for falling into this trap.

My fears now a days are when the internet connection goes out twice a month for no known reason.

My fears are the unpredictable. When before the technology era, my fears use to be nothing much, but big REAL LIVE 80 pound neighbor dogs, and nothing else.

I am posting this, because I believe that most people in "civilized" worlds, are experiencing the same things as me. I feel so bad for the people younger than me, for they could never of experienced real life like I did, or especially the generations before me.

I know it's ironic I'm posting this "ONLINE"... there is obviously some good that has come out of technology, but at what "COST".

If it is at the cost of HUMAN EXPERIENCE AND SPIRITUALLY... count me out, "PLEASE GOD, count me out from now on".
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 02:53 AM

34,481 posts, read 8,888,267 times
No, to this question, though I might agree that it is turning us into couch -or at least computer- desk -potatoes.

The internet has fired up my 'Spirit' (if one must use that overly vague and multipurpose term) in no uncertain terms, allowing me to learn, research, and to converse with other people to an extent I never thought possible.

It has of course, allowed a lot of myths to be busted which at one time could not be done as that would need a book to be written and published, bought and read.

Now just a post blowing up the Suetonius, Thallus, Phlegon claim (yet again ) can be done in moments and read by thousands. If that is crushing what is called 'the spirit' I thank Random Factors for it.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 AM

4,428 posts, read 5,493,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
To start off, let me tell you a little about myself. I grew up in the technology era. When i was in like 7th grade or so , we had the amazing "INTERNET".

Before then, I remember times of driving hot wheels on very rainy and especially MUDDY DAYS... My mom said she would need to do a lot of "LAUNDRY"..

I remember jumping in over-sized construction garbage tubs, for the fun of it. It was an ADVENTURE.

I remember that having fun, was mainly GOING OUTSIDE.. and playing sports, tag, or something else outdoors.
I'm not sure. But I think I'm a little older than you are born during the early 1970's. But I remember thing slightly different. Yes there was a lot of playing outdoors of all types. But there was also alot of TV watching as well. I remember hours spent watching the old one way media. That gave me a rather limited view of my world (including even PBS). But it was what we had. Also I remember during the 80's when one would go out of their way to find a video game "arcade" or parlor to pump endless quarters into a machine with..........well......video dots on the screen. I remember huge lines just to play Pac Man. It was Crazy. People use to just sit around waiting for the game to open up. Then came Atari and Colecovision for home systems. Now one might think this added more time on the old TV tube. And yes for the first month or so when a new game came out we'd play for hours to either beat the games or to beat friends at the game. But really after the immediate need to play the game. I and my friends used to go back to our old habits of playing outside or playing sports.

Quote:
And then before I realized it. I'm in my 20s , I feel old already. I feel like I gave up on real human nature and adventure and fun.

I feel that I am ABUSING my God Given Human Spirit.
To be honest I never felt anything like this. I would say though by the time I was 25 I noticed I didn't recover as quickly as did when I was a teen/early 20's. But was always still active (outdoors). In fact since my early 30's I branched out from my usual sports and actives. Granted let me just say, how much of this stuff I get to do is dependent on the environment that I'm in. Like right now I'm basically in an urban sprawl area around NYC. I don't get as much outside time as I did in Massachusetts or D.C. But I still make the effort to get "out" as much as I can.

So I'm thinking maybe either you may need to do one of two things here.
1. You need to kick yourself in the seat of the pants and say to yourself..."Let get going!" Or 2. If you can't do that you may need to see someone to help you get yourself moving. I don't know and I obviously can't diagnose but I sense depression or something close to it here.

Quote:
My idea of fun, for the past decade or so, has been about watching "viral" online videos. Watching other people doing fun/stupid/crazy things.
Well. I look at my parent generation and my own and see little difference. You just end up replacing Youtube with your standard TV/cable.

Quote:
I feel I gave up on myself. I feel I don't live for me, but for the safe adventure of my brain watching "crap" online or tv.

The only times in my high-school or college times that I truly felt alive was when I was DRUNK as could be, and experienced real life crazy things and had crazy times.

Now that- that time is over.. I realize I am a DILBERT. I don't live for real adventure. I am fearful of technology. Technology and rule of law has become my god.

I am truly regretful for falling into this trap

Again sensing depression.

Quote:
My fears now a days are when the internet connection goes out twice a month for no known reason.

My fears are the unpredictable. When before the technology era, my fears use to be nothing much, but big REAL LIVE 80 pound neighbor dogs, and nothing else.
Actually, I think there is a major fear that will be coming more prevalent in coming decades. That is the fear of being disconnected from the “O’l box O knowledge." I personally find that when I'm disconnected from the internet by no choice of my own. I feel a little bit of anxiety. Usually it goes away quickly and I find something else to do. But when I dwell a little bit on it. It is a little disturbing that I feel that way when being disconnected. And it also makes me wonder how others (others that may spend more time on the internet) react when they are disconnected. I don't know? Maybe they react similar as I do. Or perhaps better.....maybe worse? I don't know? But I think we will be seeing some psychological diagnoses related to disconnection to the internet. (If there hasn't been already.)

Quote:
I am posting this, because I believe that most people in "civilized" worlds, are experiencing the same things as me. I feel so bad for the people younger than me, for they could never of experienced real life like I did, or especially the generations before me.
While kids are online alot. I'm not sure if they are totally missing real life. Even where I'm at (semi urban area). I still see kids out an about when the weather is good. When I'm home in my beach town. I still see kids and teens as the beach play and sunbathing like I use to. Really from my POV not much has changed. Actually I see more of a change for elderly and retirees than the kids and it mostly for the good.

*** Ok before I say what I'm about to say. I just want to state that I know that not all "older" (65 and up) folks have health problems that debilitated or that they don't live active lives. I just want to make a comment on those that do have problems of mobility, or an illness have enhanced lives because of the internet.******

Look at these boards how many folk do you think here are "older" and may or may not have the ability to be out an about. The Internet has allowed "older" people who would be otherwise be "trapped" in their homes to communicate, share and learn from people all around the world. I think the internet has done wonders for people that otherwise may not have the opportunity to participate in a community.

Quote:
I know it's ironic I'm posting this "ONLINE"... there is obviously some good that has come out of technology, but at what "COST".

If it is at the cost of HUMAN EXPERIENCE AND SPIRITUALLY... count me out, "PLEASE GOD, count me out from now on".

Well the cost is subjective idea. To me I see things as no different as they were 40 years ago. Except for the amount of knowledge that is shared among the world's population. Which overall it a good thing. Actually it's a tremendously good thing. Also the idea of the "Human experience" and "Spirituality” Is also subjective. My idea/perceptions of the human experience and spirituality could be and probably is very different. So what might be deemed bad by your POV could be seen as a positive or a progression of where the human race is heading.

Anyways I do hope you find peace. I'm a little concerned for you though. This is because you seem from my POV somewhat depressed. May I be so bold as to suggest to you to see someone that may help you deal with this Anxiety you’re having. (If you have not already).
Again I wish you the best.

Baystater.

Last edited by baystater; 03-07-2012 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: fine tuning

Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 AM

12,842 posts, read 24,483,936 times
Dunno about the human spirit, but I think being endlessly wired/connected and entertaining self and never being alone with thoughts or the present will crush the human emotional experience. If we thought "too much TV" was bad, try "too many screens, everywhere, all the time."
It's not even like people are getting information or thinking. There's no shortage of data, pictures, entertainment, yammering, whatever. No end to it. That was true the minute we had the internet available, and it's ever-more true with mobile devices and people developing neck hyperflexion from constantly staring at their devices.
At least with TV, there is PBS.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:09 PM

4,428 posts, read 5,493,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
At least with TV, there is PBS.
Don't get me going on the state of the supposed documentary channels we have in the U.S. PBS is about the only one worth watching if you truly want to learn something. Granted I will say at least the military channel programing is exactly what is expected.

Victory at Stalingrad | Greatest Tank Battles - YouTube

BOOM BABY!

Anyways thank god (pun intended) for YouTube so I can view programing from the BBC.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,574,458 times
Nothing is physically stopping people from going outside.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:52 PM

I admit to watching any documentary about Stalingrad again and again.
I get the Sundance channel and Independent Film Channel and there's good stuff there.
I only got cable in 2004 and I think I watch too much TV as a sort of default program- I'm having coffee, the dogs are there, the TV is there, it's easy to put on CNN or something. Lately I've been out of work with a neck whiplash (incurred at work) and I am watching way too much TV. For a couple of weeks, propped up on the couch was the only comfortable position besides lying on my side.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,009,316 times
Technology's definition includes the English language you and I use to communicate and convey meaning. Math is a language, and it is technology.

The fact that you can question if technology is "Crushing the Human Spirit" is a marvel of technology, the technology of language. It facilitates communication and does not leave it up to the self assembly process of biology to pass on information.

So if you want to reject technology, then reject it as a whole. You will have to move away to somewhere you can start over and live in the times before the stone age, even though in the stone age they had some technology. So reject medicine, your clothing, get your water from a stream not a well, follow the herds of animals since farming is technology, you are going to have to use your hands to kill the animals and the technique you use may be considered technology to some. Just saying......

Old 03-08-2012, 09:02 AM

I have a friend with her own business who is very wired, although she resists texting. She is 46, and most of the people are her are creative people, artists and so on, and they are a few years younger. She says it concerns her that they are *always* glued to some mobile device no matter what else is going on, including being with another person (also glued). We both agree that we would point out to someone acting that way with us that it is rude and please don't do it. (I have done this once, and the young woman was startled but heard me).
My friend teaches jazz history to middle-schoolers (private school, interesting subject, supposedly motivated students). Kids are not allowed to have cellphones on in class. Once while she was teaching, she'd forgotten to turn hers off, and it rang. She turned it off and apologized to the class. Kids said, "But Mrs. M, YOUR PHONE IS RINGING." She said yes, I'm sorry, I forgot to turn it off." "BUT YOUR PHONE IS RINGING."
They couldn't conceive of not answering it. I think that is detrimental to mind and spirit.
My friend doesn't use a smart phone. She does have an iPad, which is useful as she travels around for her various clients (can run a credit card). She says she is careful to have to go TO the internet (go to the laptop or get the iPad) rather than have the default program be that it is always at her hand to be looked at/heard/answered. I think this is wise.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,009,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have a friend with her own business who is very wired, although she resists texting. She is 46, and most of the people are her are creative people, artists and so on, and they are a few years younger. She says it concerns her that they are *always* glued to some mobile device no matter what else is going on, including being with another person (also glued). We both agree that we would point out to someone acting that way with us that it is rude and please don't do it. (I have done this once, and the young woman was startled but heard me).
My friend teaches jazz history to middle-schoolers (private school, interesting subject, supposedly motivated students). Kids are not allowed to have cellphones on in class. Once while she was teaching, she'd forgotten to turn hers off, and it rang. She turned it off and apologized to the class. Kids said, "But Mrs. M, YOUR PHONE IS RINGING." She said yes, I'm sorry, I forgot to turn it off." "BUT YOUR PHONE IS RINGING."
They couldn't conceive of not answering it. I think that is detrimental to mind and spirit.
My friend doesn't use a smart phone. She does have an iPad, which is useful as she travels around for her various clients (can run a credit card). She says she is careful to have to go TO the internet (go to the laptop or get the iPad) rather than have the default program be that it is always at her hand to be looked at/heard/answered. I think this is wise.
There definitely has to be respect for others and awareness of unintended consequences with all technologies. When used correctly, technology solves problems and unites us. Communication is a vital and basic human necessity and the cell phone solves far more problems than it creates. It sounds like education is needed for children to learn respect and common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or