Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 07:56 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times

Advertisements

Okay so, judging by the various Republican party presidential candidates' repeated statements about the importance of God in their lives, it would seem that believing in God is important to many Americans. Presidential candidates will tend to pay attention to what Americans want to hear and modify their speeches accordingly.

Here's a question though, and it might be something everyobody can hopefully agree is a valid question. Hopefully voters more likely to vote for presidential candidates who state they have a belief in God may enlighten the rest of us. Now, the President of the U.S. has control over the armed forces and can begin wars, as Busch did, with only slow-moving congress to eventually catch up and determine whether or not it was a good idea. The President can also launch nuclear warheads.

What process do you use to determine the difference between presidential candidates who hear the voice of God, and who are schizophrenic?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:01 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
What process do you use to determine the difference between presidential candidates who hear the voice of God, and who are schizophrenic?

I believe in God, but I've wondered myself how people determine the difference between people who believe they've had a "religious experience" and true schizophreanics.

I wonder this of both believers and non-believers.
I don't get the impression that all atheists believe all religious people are mentally ill (although I know SOME to believe it).

Sorry, I know I am probably veering the topic into a slightly different directly. Could my MY mental illness. I'll claim ADD today.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:10 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times
Let's face it, most of them are nuttier than a fruitcake.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:15 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I'd use the same criteria that psychologists use. There's much more to being schizophrenic than claiming to hear the voice of God.

Schizophrenia - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment of Schizophrenia - NY Times Health Information

Interestingly enough, this gives all the more reason to refuse to vote for candidates who don't seem to be thinking logically, as the inability to do this is also a symptom. I'd urge anyone to carry this phrase into the voting booth: "Vote sensible, not schizophrenic!"

Old 03-10-2012, 10:04 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Thread closed pending moderator consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality