Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 04:49 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i was deep in christianity until my christian roommate attacked me and i had to press charges against her.. her reasoning? i wasn't christian enough
Gee, a real nut case. I hope she's getting therapy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
We've tried to get a Pagan/Alternative religion sub-forum. No luck yet.
Yes, I'd like that, too, but you never know the persuasion of the people you are dealing with, do you? I try to be careful because you can sometimes make an innocent comment in all sincerity and be put down because of it. Authority does odd things to us.
That comment leads to this - there are many Pagan groups. If you ever do join one, be sure they are decent human beings with love for their fellow man and want good for all. Make sure you have autonomy and will never be asked to go against your conscience. There are some power mad leaders of such groups and you can get sucked in and it might be difficult to get out. As in any religion, there can be nuts in charge.

I did mean, though, a MeetUp group in which local people can arrange to get together. I am on MeetUp lists for spiritual things. You just search for 'MeetUp' on your search engine, and eventually you find a screen where they just list a number of activities or attributes and you get put on an email list if there is someone else in the area with similar interests.

For example, I like discussion groups, and indicated that and in my area pops up Socrates Cafe, which sends me emails when and where they meet each month. Eventually, I will join them.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
There are a couple of them around here sadly they are devided myself & some others have tried to bring them together but they won't have it. Something happend some years ago before I got here that tore them apart some of them can't let go & move forward.
Yes. I noticed that in a lot of alternate religions there is a lot of ego, too.
I like the eastern religions because their philosophy seems to form the groundwork to what Wiccans call magic, but the eastern religions warn of having too much ego. They also warn of using forces solely for your own benefit.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That's quite an account of religious change. Personally, I never understood the need to change religions. They all teach essentially the same things in what matters (like ethics).

The rest is just fluff.
Some religions are very restrictive and dictate your life from the moment you awake until you sleep at night. Some people require this and find it comforting.

Some people are on a quest and think there is a deeper meaning to their lives than just the body and they want to know more of it.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:33 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Some religions are very restrictive and dictate your life from the moment you awake until you sleep at night. Some people require this and find it comforting.

Some people are on a quest and think there is a deeper meaning to their lives than just the body and they want to know more of it.
Yes, I'm aware of that. However, practically all major religions have these very restrictive elements which followers can choose if they want.

I consider it to be a lifestyle choice. But will it get you a deeper meaning? Possibly.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:17 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
Quote:
Gee, a real nut case. I hope she's getting therapy.
if it isn't christian therapy from her cult..i mean church i doubt it will change anything in here..

Old 03-23-2012, 08:47 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Yes. I noticed that in a lot of alternate religions there is a lot of ego, too.
I like the eastern religions because their philosophy seems to form the groundwork to what Wiccans call magic, but the eastern religions warn of having too much ego. They also warn of using forces solely for your own benefit.

Ego is a part of it but it's mostly because some people want to be in charge of ALL the groups around here. Someone got thier feelings hurt because something didn't go thier way & they can't stop whining about it.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Ego is a part of it but it's mostly because some people want to be in charge of ALL the groups around here. Someone got thier feelings hurt because something didn't go thier way & they can't stop whining about it.
That sounds like emotional immaturity, which is also often found in 'alternate' circles. This sort of childish pettiness. There is that saying to 'let go and let God'. Just turn the leaf. Not everything goes according to your will. Often, it is when you try to change things to suit your will, that you find that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality