Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:41 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times

Advertisements

What's wrong with fear as a motivational tool? You don't want Jesus to be some kind of hippie, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
which truth were u referring to? the need to move out of harms way? the one they teach at camp pendleton? truth is always demonstrable, if its not, its not truth.
side note that is why i love fencing so much. (retired 7 months ago) its a perfect art. all the fencing techniques that did not work are gone, they died.
I believe truth is publicly scrutinized, testable and repeatable evidence of a meme. Truth is like our best foot forward, with reference, without the need to say, "Do not question, just have faith."

Old 03-20-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
What's wrong with fear as a motivational tool? You don't want Jesus to be some kind of hippie, do you?
Fear can be motivational if there is verifiable truth to it. We cant choose what to tell people to get them to do something, it's not the right thing to do. The right thing to do is to tell the truth. There is no Hippy philoso[hy to that. I served in the US military, I am no hippy. I just want the truth.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I don't understand the rationale behind the fear-mongering either, that's why I became a Universalist since they teach that God will ultimately save everyone, in their own time. I'm not a UR any longer but if one has to participate in "religion" I think UR is the best way to go. It's about love and peace, not fear and insane, twisted teachings from the Bible. Someday I hope that the teaching of eternal torment will become a thing of the past. It's very damaging and dangerous.

I think we are all evolving. Knowledge is contagious.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:53 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Why does religion need fear to convey knowledge, goodwill and morality?

Religion Pontificates a Priveleage Associated with Adopting Specific Beliefs.

There are many Christians that really do believe that they will be saved for all eternity because they have accepted Jesus Christ into their lives and have labeled themselves Christians.

Christianity teaches that it is a privelage to be Christian, and it is the only way to the kingdom of heaven. I on the otherhand who will not accept that belief will burn in hell for eternity, not two or three or even ten years, but eternity. Do you really need that privelage to be a good person, the privelage of being a Christian and entering Christian heaven and pointing down at those of us with different beliefs saying "I told you so!" as we burn in hell for eternity? Is that really just?

I don't want name calling or primitive arguments, I want responses from people who care about all of us not just themselves.
Reality is what it is. God exists. That is reality. God created all that exists including man. God is absolute perfection and absolute holiness which means that He is absolutely Righteous and Just. The absolute Righteousness and Justice of God demands a penalty for sin. Sin is a transgression against God. Sin entered the world through Adam. As a result of Adam's disobedience the entire human race is under condemnation (Rom 5:12-21). Man cannot pay the penalty for sin. That is reality.

But while God had to impose a penalty for sin to satisfy His Righteousness and Justice, God does not desire that anyone perish (2 Pet 3:9). But because man cannot pay the penalty for sin which is spiritual death (Gen 2:17) which itself is a loss of relationship with God, the penalty for sin is eternal, which means that man must be eternally separated from God in the same place as the fallen angels were sentenced to - the lake of fire (Matt 25:41; Rev 20:10-15).

Therefore, since man cannot pay the penalty for sin, God in eternity past came up with a predetermined plan (Acts 2:23) by which man can be saved from the penalty of sin. The plan required that the Second Person of the Trinity become a man (John 1:1, 14; Phil 2:5-8) and pay the penalty for sin Himself. In His humanity the Second Person of the Trinity is called Jesus. He is the Savior. He came into the world through a vigin birth and thus without sin. He lived a perfect life and was therefore qualifed to go to the Cross and be judged in our place. He was our substitute. God the Father took all of the personal sins of every person who will ever be born and poured them out on Jesus Christ. That took care of the sin problem.

However, there still remains the problem that man's righteousness does not measure up to God's Righteousness and so man cannot have an eternal relationship with God. But when a person simply trusts in Jesus Christ alone for eternal life, God imputes His Righteousness (Rom 3:26; Rom 4:3-5) as well as His eternal life (1 John 5:11-13) to that person so that he can live in the presence of God forever. And that is reality.

Jesus Christ is the only way by which man can enter into eternal life.

John 14:6 'Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

Acts 4:12 "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His uniquely born Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."

Christianity is not a religion. Religion is man made with its ultimate origin being Satan who attempts to obscure the truth regarding eternal salvation through deception. Christianity on the other hand is reality. It is God reaching out to man through Jesus Christ. Man did not create God. God created man and has revealed Himself in human history. And what God has revealed about Himself has been recorded in the Bible which is the word of God. The fingerprints of God are all over the Bible. Its supernatural origin is clearly seen through the fulfillment of prophecy. Honest research on the matter of fulfilled prophecy will bear this out.

Only through faith alone in Christ alone can anyone be eternally saved. The alternative is the second death which is eternal separation from God in the lake of fire. That is reality.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:59 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Heard that the Spanish Bible for some 500 years has left out the fear of God and has watered down the scriptures as the result, Do you see that in your Spanish Bible or did you get a newer version of an older Spanish Bible which had the fear of God?.... See fear of God is a good thing as it is a rejection of sin and the devil and his fallen angels and demons because there is No mercy for the devil to the Lord God .. And as believers of Jesus Christ , All Christians true Christians have Jesus Spirit on their bodies as to develop the fruits of the spirit... as the sin of this world inhibits developing the fruit of the spirit and sin stop faith in its place were Holy Spirit cannot help Jesus Believers ... So as Christians , we are in our Father God house and sin has to go as it is not part of the Lord Father God and His house .....Also Hell is for the devil and His fallen Angels , so do not follow the devil because God is Not there...

Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Reality is what it is. God exists.
Only through faith alone in Christ alone can anyone be eternally saved. The alternative is the second death which is eternal separation from God in the lake of fire. That is reality.
So I ask you. I will not label myself a Christian, I feel it seperates and divides even though I agree with many of the lessons and knowledge the New Testament documents.

Will you feel better for making the right decision as you see me in eternal seperation from GOD in the lake of fire? I chose to burn in eternity in your eyes because I would not submit to your belief? Do I deserve an eternity of torture just because I will not label myself a Christian?

Old 03-20-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Heard that the Spanish Bible for some 500 years has left out the fear of God and has watered down the scriptures as the result, Do you see that in your Spanish Bible or did you get a newer version of an older Spanish Bible which had the fear of God?.... See fear of God is a good thing as it is a rejection of sin and the devil and his fallen angels and demons because there is No mercy for the devil to the Lord God .. And as believers of Jesus Christ , All Christians true Christians have Jesus Spirit on their bodies as to develop the fruits of the spirit... as the sin of this world inhibits developing the fruit of the spirit and sin stop faith in its place were Holy Spirit cannot help Jesus Believers ... So as Christians , we are in our Father God house and sin has to go as it is not part of the Lord Father God and His house .....Also Hell is for the devil and His fallen Angels , so do not follow the devil because God is Not there...
Thats the problem, too many people "hear" and they don't verify. The language of the bible is not originally in English so whose interpretation is right?

Who decides who is a true Christian. If your answer is God, there is no way for you to possibly know who is "Truly" Christian and who is not. Why label yourself then? Why not follow what is good without dividing?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
which truth were u referring to? the need to move out of harms way? the one they teach at camp pendleton? truth is always demonstrable, if its not, its not truth.
side note that is why i love fencing so much. (retired 7 months ago) its a perfect art. all the fencing techniques that did not work are gone, they died.
A general progression. It is all art.

Art imitates life and life imitates art.

I feel you are taking advantage of this wonderful life, I just ask you to spread that goodwill.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:54 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
So I ask you. I will not label myself a Christian, I feel it seperates and divides even though I agree with many of the lessons and knowledge the New Testament documents.

Will you feel better for making the right decision as you see me in eternal seperation from GOD in the lake of fire? I chose to burn in eternity in your eyes because I would not submit to your belief? Do I deserve an eternity of torture just because I will not label myself a Christian?
It's not about me. It's about receiving the free gift of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ, or rejecting Christ as Savior and spending eternity in the lake of fire. That is the issue and is the most important decision anyone can ever make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality