Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 03:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,103 times

Advertisements

I am a Muslim from Islamic country Bangladesh.I love Islam.
I also like some tradition without Islam.
Do you have any choice of traditional events without your religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 06:38 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akram Fakir View Post

1. I do the Americanized version of Christmas without Christ.
2. Americanized St. Patrick's day (which is a lot of drinking) without any real religious meaning
3. Picked up Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah from S.O. Really has no meaning to me or her just something we for her cultural reasons.
4. I actually don't do Easter but keep ending up with Easter candy somehow. Mini-eggs rule!
5. This is something a little unusual my girl is original from the Soviet Union and I guess they have this thing about celebrating on New Year’s Day. Looks pretty much like Christmas but with no religious meaning.

Btw. I'm an atheist/agnostic.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
I have got used to the idea of some celebrationary fun with or without belief. Chinese New year, Kathein, hallowe'en, lantern festival, christmas, summer solstice.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,835,583 times
Quote:
I am a Muslim, too.

The Islam is the last heavenly religion: with the Quran is the last heavenly book revealed [after the Torah and the Gospel] to Prophet Mohammed -salam be to him.

God's religion is essentially: to worship God alone without associate or son or patron or equal.

God's commandments are other than people traditions.

Most of the traditions are related to some idolatry rites and celebrations.

The believer should observe the commandments of God, not the traditions of people.

E.g. the day of the spring equinox : the 21st. of March of every year
A large number of people and nations celebrate this day; it is the day of hollyfying the fire worship of the Magian in ancient Persia.

Many Muslims, out of their ignorance, do celebrate this day, while they do not realize the depth of the subject and think it is mild and good; while it in fact is contradiction to the First Commandment which is the basis of the Islamic belief: the exclusive devotion to God alone.

Monotheism Is the Way of Success

Last edited by eanassir; 03-21-2012 at 07:37 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,835,583 times
Quote:
I am a Muslim. I also love Islam.

Anyhow, most Muslims now (in addition to all other Jews and Christians) do not understand the meaning of the Glorious Quran.

Therefore, they have gone into schisms and divisions: because they have associated - with God - their imams and sheikhs (in addition to the sages of Jews and saints of Christians) ---> and because of their enthusiasm about their imams and sheikhs --> they have been defeated everywhere.

See here the marvelous books about the Quran interpretation by the late inspired interpreter of the Quran and the Bible: Mohammed-Ali Hassan Al-Hilly (died at 1991 just after the first American invasion of Iraq at 1991):

The Universe and the Quran

Man after Death

Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eanassir View Post
Anyhow, most Muslims now (in addition to all other Jews and Christians) do not understand the meaning of the Glorious Quran.

Therefore, they have gone into schisms and divisions: because they have associated - with God - their imams and sheikhs (in addition to the sages of Jews and saints of Christians) ---> and because of their enthusiasm about their imams and sheikhs --> they have been defeated everywhere.
This you should start a thread on this topic eanassir. Might be interesting.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:

Off hand I can think of a few.

New Year's Eve and Day
President's Day
MLK Day
Labor Day
Memorial Day
Veteran's Day
Independence Day

Old 05-08-2012, 12:05 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
I like to have a big bonfire on the shortest day, drink a few beers and celebrate the coming longer days.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:21 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
I'll take just about any reason to celebrate, especially if it means I get a day off work.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:34 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
I'm not religious but I celebrate the following 'religious' holidays:

St. Nicklas ("Sinterklaas", very popular celebration in the Netherlands, similar to how secular Christmas is celebrated in the US with loads of presents and candy for children)

Christmas (no presents because we already had that with Sinterklaas which ends on Dec. 5, but nice dinner with family, Christmas tree, Christmas songs etc.)

Easter (nice dinner with family, painting eggs with my nephews, eating mini chocolate eggs)

Pentecost (again nice dinner with family... we love that )

Carnaval (a bit like Halloween in the US except we don't go door to door, has Catholic origins)

New Year's Eve (fireworks, NYE snacks, tv specials)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality