Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:41 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times

Advertisements

Why Religion Makes People Happier (Hint: Not God)

Stephanie Pappas
Date: 06 December 2010 Time: 10:32 PM ET

Religious people are more satisfied with their lives than nonbelievers, but a new study finds it's not a relationship with God that makes the devout happy. Instead, the satisfaction boost may come from closer ties to earthly neighbors.

According to a study published today (Dec. 7) in the journal American Sociological Review, religious people gain life satisfaction thanks to social networks they build by attending religious services. The results apply to Catholics and mainline and evangelical Protestants. The number of Jews, Mormons, Muslims and people of other religions interviewed was too small to draw conclusions about those populations, according to study researcher Chaeyoon Lim, a sociologist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

"We show that [life satisfaction] is almost entirely about the social aspect of religion, rather than the theological or spiritual aspect of religion," Lim told LiveScience. "We found that people are more satisfied with their lives when they go to church, because they build a social network within their congregation.

http://www.livescience.com/9090-reli...-hint-god.html

Last edited by tillman7; 03-25-2012 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 11:45 AM

93 posts, read 71,677 times
I don't buy this. You have to be embarrassingly stupid to believe in this nonsense in 2012. But if you really are dumb enough to believe an invisible jewish zombie is going to re-rise from the dead and say hello in a few- complete with goblins and mass grave risings and floating on clouds with grandpa- how can it not make you feel good?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:53 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Why Religion Makes People Happier (Hint: Not God)

Stephanie Pappas
Date: 06 December 2010 Time: 10:32 PM ET

Religious people are more satisfied with their lives than nonbelievers, but a new study finds it's not a relationship with God that makes the devout happy. Instead, the satisfaction boost may come from closer ties to earthly neighbors.

According to a study published today (Dec. 7) in the journal American Sociological Review, religious people gain life satisfaction thanks to social networks they build by attending religious services. The results apply to Catholics and mainline and evangelical Protestants. The number of Jews, Mormons, Muslims and people of other religions interviewed was too small to draw conclusions about those populations, according to study researcher Chaeyoon Lim, a sociologist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

"We show that [life satisfaction] is almost entirely about the social aspect of religion, rather than the theological or spiritual aspect of religion," Lim told LiveScience. "We found that people are more satisfied with their lives when they go to church, because they build a social network within their

congregation."http://www.livescience.com/9090-religion-people-happier-hint-god.html

Yep, and that social network is built around their common religious beliefs.

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Matthew 18:20 KJV

Hardly need a study to explain that.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:54 AM

- This was written by men to control the plebes. Grown-ups shouldn't take it seriously in 2012.

Adults 3:15

Old 03-25-2012, 12:07 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor2483 View Post
I don't buy this. You have to be embarrassingly stupid to believe in this nonsense in 2012. But if you really are dumb enough to believe an invisible jewish zombie is going to re-rise from the dead and say hello in a few- complete with goblins and mass grave risings and floating on clouds with grandpa- how can it not make you feel good?
Let the Christian-bashings begin......again.

To liberals who are also devout Christians: Doesn't this kind of hateful bashing of your religious faith bother you?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:08 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
- This was written by men to control the plebes. Grown-ups shouldn't take it seriously in 2012.

You're new around here Conor2483, so I'll explain how this works.

First, someone starts a thread on some aspect of religion, the First Amendment or some other issue related in some way to religion.

Next, the usual cast of characters show up to hate on Christians and religion more generally.

After that, the discussion typically moves to creation, and or the Big Bang, and finally First Cause.

To save time and keystrokes, if you would like to assert that you believe all that is, to include time and space, spontaneously emerged from nothing and for no reason and at a specific moment in finite time before time existed, I won't bother to explain why given any point in space a moment in the past can never be far enough in the past to allow the present moment to exist in an infinite time frame.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Let the Christian-bashings begin......again.

To liberals who are also devout Christians: Doesn't this kind of hateful bashing of your religious faith bother you?
I do hate Christianity. Every literate and decent person should in my opinion.

Middle-of-the-road, ineffective inoffensiveness shouldn't be the goal of communicating ideas, in my opinion.

You have every right to be offended. But is there anything about my description of Christianity that you view to be an unfair reflection of the texts?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Obviously the social aspect is the biggest part of any church. I know it's always been pushed a place to make contacts, for everthing from finding a mate to selling insurance.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:13 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:

Here's a needed addendum to your idiotic Adults 3:15 nonsense;

Adults are comfortable enough in their own beliefs or lack thereof to refrain from bashing others for no good reason. Small minded people with no tolerance for the views of others make comments such as yours, not adults.

Thanks for showing your true colors early.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Here's a needed addendum to your idiotic Adults 3:15 nonsense;

Adults are comfortable enough in their own beliefs or lack thereof to refrain from bashing others for no good reason. Small minded people with no tolerance for the views of others make comments such as yours, not adults.

Thanks for showing your true colors early.
I have very good reasons for bashing Christianity. Belief without evidence is extremely dangerous for the future of human civilization.

I am tolerant. But I am not tolerant of intolerance, which is why I don't tolerate Christian nonsense.

Say that ten times fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality