Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,113 times

Advertisements

What makes a Christian?

The Bible is clear:

1 Corinthians 15:1-2 (KJV)

1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved . . .

Although other passages point to or talk about salvation, sometimes in the future tense, no where else is the means of salvation so clearly shown. In fact, in Galatians 1:9 Paul emphasizes the point so that there is no doubt about the important of believing and teaching the Gospel.
As I worked this through for myself, I realized that I had asked Jesus into my heart at a young age (7, which is the age of ‘reason’ in the Baptist church). What was I going to do? I had grown up believing that I was saved, but then I also remembered that my church had in fact taught the Gospel, and that I did indeed believe it. You see what I am saying; that many people are in fact saved (because they do believe) but do not realize and are not convinced that it is the key to salvation. I cannot emphasis this enough, people who believe and teach the Gospel are saved, but some are confused and therefore directionless when they set out to evangelize.

I remember when I was first shown this set of verses, as I thought about it I realized that I now had a focus that I didn’t before. That to center on the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the most important thing we can do. How to live our lives in this world is important enough to be included in Scripture, but to know how to have eternal life is even more basic.

I, as a servant of the Lord Christ Jesus, beg of you to place an increased effort into teaching and preaching the Gospel itself, making sure that each person who speaks for the church understands the need for this focus. I believe this is so important that I am praying that all who respond positively to this message will be blessed at least 10 times over. Please join me in this plea and as the Lord hears and honors our prayers you will see many times growth and blessing in your ministries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,655,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
What makes a Christian?

The Bible is clear:

1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved . . .

Although other passages point to or talk about salvation, sometimes in the future tense, no where else is the means of salvation so clearly shown. In fact, in Galatians 1:9 Paul emphasizes the point so that there is no doubt about the important of believing and teaching the Gospel.
As I worked this through for myself, I realized that I had asked Jesus into my heart at a young age (7, which is the age of ‘reason’ in the Baptist church). What was I going to do? I had grown up believing that I was saved, but then I also remembered that my church had in fact taught the Gospel, and that I did indeed believe it. You see what I am saying; that many people are in fact saved (because they do believe) but do not realize and are not convinced that it is the key to salvation. I cannot emphasis this enough, people who believe and teach the Gospel are saved, but some are confused and therefore directionless when they set out to evangelize.

I remember when I was first shown this set of verses, as I thought about it I realized that I now had a focus that I didn’t before. That to center on the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the most important thing we can do. How to live our lives in this world is important enough to be included in Scripture, but to know how to have eternal life is even more basic.

I, as a servant of the Lord Christ Jesus, beg of you to place an increased effort into teaching and preaching the Gospel itself, making sure that each person who speaks for the church understands the need for this focus. I believe this is so important that I am praying that all who respond positively to this message will be blessed at least 10 times over. Please join me in this plea and as the Lord hears and honors our prayers you will see many times growth and blessing in your ministries.

Are you a Christian?

Oh Hell No......

Old 05-01-2012, 01:22 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,526,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Are you a Christian?

Oh Hell No......

What she said.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:29 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,655,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
What she said.
Hey reed... With all due respect....I'm a He......... and have been for as long as I can remember.......... which is well over 375 years at least.......

Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
What makes a Christian?

The Bible is clear:

Used to be, but never again....

You find as you look around the world that every single bit of progress in humane feeling, every improvement in the criminal law, every step toward the diminution of war, every step toward better treatment of the colored races, or every mitigation of slavery, every moral progress that there has been in the world, has been consistently opposed by the organized churches of the world. I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world.
Bertrand Russell

Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,506 times
Are you a Christian?

Nope...it never took. I suppose I was nominally a Christian (Catholic most of my young life then Baptist then Assembly of God), but being one sparked a ton of questions regardless of denomination. Those questions sparked investigation and the more I studied it, the less sense any of it made. I put it aside for good in 1995.

Last edited by Fullback32; 05-01-2012 at 02:00 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 01:49 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,378 times
No, I'm not a Christian and have no desire to be one, regardless of your particular definition of what a Christian is.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:49 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,529 times
^^^I agree with the guys^^^

Old 05-01-2012, 01:56 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,759 times
I used to be a Christian, until I grew up.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:58 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,113 times
Wasn't tryin to convince anyone, or change anyone...just a question. Simple yes, or no will suffice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality